OCCRA
Go to Post Well, the cake could either be a simple cake Or It is blue, so that obviously means that we are having a water game this year. - big1boom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik
Warning: Operator Button Colors Matter!

The Adult/Student coach thread reminded me of an unfortunate incident at Lone Star last weekend. I was wandering the pits assisting teams when I heard a red card called on the field for a COACH operating the robot. <G56> says that only DRIVERS can operate the OPERATOR CONSOLE during a match. They mention this a couple of times, so it seems unlikely that an adult would actually step up and grab the controls and earn a red card, right? Well that's not what happened here. The team actually misplaced one of their operator badges and decided to use an extra badge from an earlier regional. A badge with a yellow dot on it, also known as a COACH's badge. So a ref saw a COACH operating the robot and quite correctly issued a red card.

My point obviously being that <G56> doesn't care how old you are, just whether you're wearing a DRIVER's badge or a COACH's badge. If your badge has a yellow dot on it, you can't drive the robot, period. In fact, the only people driving and feeding should be the student with blue badges with no dots. Any other badge means you're not a DRIVER or FEEDER.

Yes, I know most all of you don't need the reminder, but rookies might. And you might want to double check your alliance mates just in case. It's not always communicated effectively at an event, so we should take it on ourselves to look out for our them.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Always InTeNsE!
AKA: Jamie Robinson
FRC #1504 (Desperate Penguins)

Rookie Year: 2005
R3P0 is a glorious beacon of lightR3P0 is a glorious beacon of lightR3P0 is a glorious beacon of lightR3P0 is a glorious beacon of lightR3P0 is a glorious beacon of lightR3P0 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to R3P0 Send a message via AIM to R3P0 Send a message via Yahoo to R3P0
Re: Warning: Operator Button Colors Matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik View Post
The Adult/Student coach thread reminded me of an unfortunate incident at Lone Star last weekend. I was wandering the pits assisting teams when I heard a red card called on the field for a COACH operating the robot. <G56> says that only DRIVERS can operate the OPERATOR CONSOLE during a match. They mention this a couple of times, so it seems unlikely that an adult would actually step up and grab the controls and earn a red card, right? Well that's not what happened here. The team actually misplaced one of their operator badges and decided to use an extra badge from an earlier regional. A badge with a yellow dot on it, also known as a COACH's badge. So a ref saw a COACH operating the robot and quite correctly issued a red card.

My point obviously being that <G56> doesn't care how old you are, just whether you're wearing a DRIVER's badge or a COACH's badge. If your badge has a yellow dot on it, you can't drive the robot, period. In fact, the only people driving and feeding should be the student with blue badges with no dots. Any other badge means you're not a DRIVER or FEEDER.

Yes, I know most all of you don't need the reminder, but rookies might. And you might want to double check your alliance mates just in case. It's not always communicated effectively at an event, so we should take it on ourselves to look out for our them.
Wow, that's like a total herp derp. Being a veteran team has it's foibles!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM
AKA: Adam
FRC #3238 (Cyborg Ferrets)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2010
WizenedEE is a name known to allWizenedEE is a name known to allWizenedEE is a name known to allWizenedEE is a name known to allWizenedEE is a name known to allWizenedEE is a name known to all

Do the HUMAN PLAYERS actually have different colored badges? I've never seen that.. and I've been human player a few times.

However, that is interesting to note. Wouldn't they also get a mark for having two coaches then? What about breaking the rule in which you need two drivers?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Quote:

Thanks! This was my first time behind glass at a regional and I think my coach button was mixed for a student button for some time for a few matches but I didn't know the difference.

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:32 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

For the record, this was a rookie/young team. They had extra badges by dint of attending the Alamo Regional earlier this year.

As I recall, there's 3 types of badges, maybe 4.
1. Operator/human player badges are light blue, not dots. These are interchangeable.
2. COACH badge, same as above, but with a yellow dot. This means no-touchy the controllers. Even to save them from certain doom. (Yes I've seen a penalty for that.)
3. Safety Captain badge. Light green, you don't get field access with this badge.
4. I think I saw media badges at Lone Star? I was roaming the pits 90% of the regional, so I dunno. If I wasn't hallucinating, these were also light green but obviously conveyed field access.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizenedEE View Post
Do the HUMAN PLAYERS actually have different colored badges? I've never seen that.. and I've been human player a few times.

However, that is interesting to note. Wouldn't they also get a mark for having two coaches then? What about breaking the rule in which you need two drivers?
No, Last year at LSR i was the human player and one match due to some complications i had to step forward and take controls. And my HP button this year was no different than the driver button this year
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Quote:
For the record, this was a rookie/young team. They had extra badges by dint of attending the Alamo Regional earlier this year.

1. Operator/human player badges are light blue, not dots. These are interchangeable.
2. COACH badge, same as above, but with a yellow dot. This means no-touchy the controllers. Even to save them from certain doom. (Yes I've seen a penalty for that.)
3. Safety Captain badge. Light green, you don't get field access with this badge.
4. I think I saw media badges at Lone Star? I was roaming the pits 90% of the regional, so I dunno. If I wasn't hallucinating, these were also light green but obviously conveyed field access.
I've neither heard of nor seen media badges that resemble the badges worn by the drive team. Everything I've seen that says "MEDIA" on it resembles the square badges worn by volunteers. The registration envelope that my team received at West MI last week only contained two operator, one coach, and one safety captain badge.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:49 AM
is all over it.
AKA: Sarah Le
no team

LightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to LightWaves1636 Send a message via Yahoo to LightWaves1636

Quote:

For the media badges it depends, it varies from event to event. We had NI Multimedia and they were give volunteer badges but it said media on the bottom and each team was given a florescent orange sticker for student media.
In Colorado last year they had these plastic pin badges for media.
FRC Team 2859 - Blasterbots - CSM Robotics Outreach - Golden, CO ('09 - '10 Coach)
FRC Team 3320 - Miracles & Machines - Eastside Memorial High School - Austin, TX ('10 - '12 Mentor)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

As rookies we had it very clearly spelled out to us that if we ever lost one of those badges that they WOULD NOT BE REPLACED, and that our drive team would drop from four down to three.

I'm sure that this is explained to rookies, and I'm sure... in this case... a particular rookie team now better understands the importance of keeping track of their badges.

Jason
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

As a part of team que I see many teams having great difficulty taking care of their buttons (one team lost their button 3 times!). I had teams come tho the que line in complete disarray (when the mentors don't understand the concept of the driver's button that's when the problems ensue) and start passing around the buttons amongst teammates to get the right one on the field without realizing that the one with the dot on it denotes the coach and they are not to touch the controls. FIRST needs to explain to teams in theor packet what the drivers buttons are for and how important they are to gain access to the field.
Last year I got into a confrontation with a mentor who claimed I didn't have the authority to deny a student access to the field because it's all about the student when being part of team que my authority about who gets to go on or off the field is EXACTLY my job and another team whined about how unfair it was that drivers buttons were required to participate because their whole drives team was out to lunch and a group of replacements wandered down to take their place and I would not let them go on.
I know people get all bent out of shape when FIRST and the GDC put up all these rules to get in the way of their fun and all but there is a reason why they control access to the rild to just anyone who wants to go out to the field area so that not just any person who wants to check the place out just wanders down there and clutters up the p;ace like they do the pits and grinds the event to a halt.

As for media badges at FLR they had six to give out to teams when their team was out for their match. I don't think Florida let anyone out because there was no room and Chesapeake didn't have a badge and just let it slide if an extra person wandered down (but if six to 8 people were out they were dealt with).
If I had it my way I would just do away with the stupid media badge thing altogether. My job is to get the robot on and off the field and keep the event moving. I do not have the time, the resources and oft times the staff to be bothered with teams need to get a better picture of their drive teams adventures down on the field. Some of the biggest headaches I have had is with media people who just become a general nuisance to an outright irritant giving me attitude because I won't allow them access to the field whenever they feel like it.

Last edited by Koko Ed : 03-23-2011 at 01:49 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
...and another team whined about how unfair it was that drivers buttons were required to participate because their whole drives team was out to lunch and a group of replacements wandered down to take their place and I would not let them go on.
Note to Rookies: Leave your badges in the pit whenever you exit the venue.

Rough lesson to learn the hard way.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
Note to Rookies: Leave your badges in the pit whenever you exit the venue.

Rough lesson to learn the hard way.
I always explain to my rookie teams to leave the badges in the pits at night and not to let the drive team wander out to lunch. Bring them lunch to the closest point they can go eat it. I recall a team missing being picked for an alliance because they all went out to lunch at an event.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our driver buttons stay strictly in the toolbox in the pit at all times unless the wearer is in the pit or in queue (or on the practice field before queue).
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I don't understand why they don't write "coach" on the dot.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)

thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I don't understand why they don't write "coach" on the dot.
The ideal solution seems to be to make the Coach's badge and entirely different color than the Driver's badges - that would probably cut down on a lot of the mistakes.

Or, the Coach doesn't take their badge off? (That's what I do)
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: