OCCRA
Go to Post Engineering is so much easier when you give all the components personalities. Then you just watch the drama unfold and try to fix it. - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:17 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Post My thoughts on this whole forum aspect of the FIRST community

First of all I want to let everyone know that this post is not directed towards anyone in particular or about any discussion in particular.
It is just a general opinion one crazy college student has.

This is a forum to discuss anything. It could be FIRST related or it could relate to anything in general.
Some of those discussions will be positive and some will be negative. I am asking everyone to take them them all with stride.

We as the FIRST community are a rare breed, a gracious and professional breed who will overcome any obstacle or probem FIRST or anyone else will throw at us.

If you are not happy with someone or something happening in the FIRST community, please think hard before you post it into a public forum, and then when you do choose your words carefully.

If you think the post will make you seem arrogant or cause trouble against you or your team, just don't post it!

There have been many posts in the last 3 months alone where the person who started the thread just wanted to toot their own and thier team's own horn a little more. Now there is nothing wrong with that, heck I feel that if you have done a good job in a competition or have something positive that your team wants to be recognized for that you should do it.

But...be weary of how your statement comes out.

We all remember the fiasco that say, a certain Mini Competiton's discussion caused this summer.
While I admit that that particular competition was very exciting in the finals I also admit that I was bummed out that we lost.

While I think that this forum is a great asset to "our" FIRST community, I think that some of the discussions will get out of hand at times.

My biggest fear is that something said on these forums will cause "bad blood" between individuals or even whole teams.

That is not what FIRST was started 11.5 years ago for.

As much as opions may vary on these forums, let's not forget the true meaning of FIRST.

The following quote is taken from the FIRST website:

"FIRST redefines winning for these students. Teams are rewarded for excellence in design, demonstrated team spirit, gracious professionalism and maturity, and ability to overcome obstacles. Scoring the most points is a secondary goal. Winning means building partnerships that last."

So, who cares where the competition is from year to year.
Who cares what the object of that years game is.
Who cares whether you win or lose.
Who cares who wins what award.

In the long run, all that matters in my opinion is how much personal growth each one of you all achieve from being a part of this wonderful organization know as the FIRST robotics program.

Sincerely,

Elgin C. Clock
Adult Mentor
F.I.R.S.T. Team 237
The Sie-H2o-Bots
T.R.I.B.E.
Watertown CT

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Who cares where the compotitions are?

How about the teams that can only affort one regional and mabey, just mabey, to the Nats. While saving up, with no warning, FIRST changes it. Then they can't go.

Or what type of compatition is comming this year.

How about the team in Hawaii or England who needs to lug back a kit of parts and needs to figure out if they'll need to carry some extra things back for their robot to practace with.

Sure, I don't want 'bad blood' nor do I want one person to ruin FIRST for all of us, but we have only 2,000 members of the 20,000 + every chaning memebers of FIRST.

Discussion is good.

Debate is better.

Propaganda and rubbing our faces in your pride along with disagreeing with eveything everyone else says, bad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: