OCCRA
Go to Post "Defense wins qualifying rounds, offense wins championships." - Paul Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier
Re: Bills Blog - Champs info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Same here.

This will make the dome look even more empty with half of the teams in another place. Seems like the pit will be the main attraction with two fields and the robots housed.
If you really think about it. it will be 4 fields in the pits and 3 in the dome.

2 divisional fields and 2 practice fields.

Then the 2 divisional fields and the one Einstein.

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
FRC #1511

Valkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to beholdValkyrie133 is a splendid one to behold

I'm wondering if they'll change the time for the Dean's List presentation...any teams that have Dean's List students are going to want to be there, and it's currently scheduled for exactly the time that all the teams are supposed to switch fields...
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cormier View Post
If you really think about it. it will be 4 fields in the pits and 3 in the dome.

2 divisional fields and 2 practice fields.

Then the 2 divisional fields and the one Einstein.
I know that unfortunately.

I was commenting on how the dome will be quiet with half the teams and 2 less fields. If I was a visitor I wouldn't even bother hanging in the dome but rather go to the pits as that is where you have the best of both worlds: pits and qual fields.

Here is something new I just picked up on. He keeps saying qualification fields. Does that mean eliminations will be in the dome? I am very confuzzled.

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

We should have a 'Steps Taken For FIRST' contest. Everyone wear a pedometer and keep a log of how many miles you walked at the St. Louis Championship. That could be a lot of fun. Do they make pedometers for robot carts?

Jane

P.S. What is this going to do to the whole "ROBOT" yell in the midst of an exodus? Create a chorus line?

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 04-05-2011 at 08:45 PM.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
We should have a 'Steps Taken For FIRST' contest. Everyone wear a pedometer and keep a log of how many miles you walked at the St. Louis Championship. That could be a lot of fun. Do they make pedometers for robot carts?

Jane
The only counting that'll be going on with me is the hundreds of times I will be counting to ten trying to lead these teams too the proper field amidst all the chaos FIRST has wrought.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
AKA: Paul W
FRC #1899 (Saints Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
PaW has a spectacular aura aboutPaW has a spectacular aura about

Like many of the posters on this thread, I too am not pleased with this news. I hope there's another part of "the plan" that hasn't been unveiled yet, to take away this bitter taste of disappointment.

I loved the situation in the Georgia Dome. I loved being able to walk the oval and go from Curie to Archimedes to Newton to Galileo. I loved searching for my 'home regional' teams and visiting with them. I liked 'the intimacy' of each individual field, but I liked 'all of it together' in one spot. Common lighting, common seating, predictable restroom locations, overpriced food. I guess I will miss that.

But still...

My kids are stoked. No one on 1899 has been to CMP, ever... not the mentors, not the kids. This will be their first time... it might be their only time.

They are so looking forward to sharing the field with HOF teams, powerhouse teams, RCA winners, and regional winners from around the globe. They're excited about touring the pits and seeing these fantastic machines up close and personal, machines that they've only seen on webcasts or photos.

Without Atlanta as a reference, they will have a nice empty canvas to paint their own memories from this experience. I won't let this situation bring them down.
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I come through in a spinsch
AKA: George- The Voice
FRC #0303 (TEST Team)

Rookie Year: 2001
George A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to George A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
Who else is seriously concerned about the noise level in the pit/pit field area?
Took the words out of my mouth. Teams have a hard enough time hearing calls for their teams to report to the field in a normal pit environment. Add to that 2 actual competition fields with teams cheering and shouting? That's a nightmare waiting to happen.

And like many other people I'm curious as to how they decide who gets priority on the dome fields for the elimination matches on Saturday.

I'm willing to wait and give things a chance...but so far they aren't off to a very good start with the new venue.
Game Announcer NY: 2005-2008
Game Announcer Champsionships: 2005-2008

#68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
rtfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George A. View Post
Took the words out of my mouth. Teams have a hard enough time hearing calls for their teams to report to the field in a normal pit environment. Add to that 2 actual competition fields with teams cheering and shouting? That's a nightmare waiting to happen.

And like many other people I'm curious as to how they decide who gets priority on the dome fields for the elimination matches on Saturday.

I'm willing to wait and give things a chance...but so far they aren't off to a very good start with the new venue.
Unfortunately, calls are not made at the championship event.

To address the problem of transfering field information, why not just drag over the computer that is made to be portable? I believe theses are turned off overnight at each regional.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I come through in a spinsch
AKA: George- The Voice
FRC #0303 (TEST Team)

Rookie Year: 2001
George A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to George A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfgnow View Post
Unfortunately, calls are not made at the championship event.

To address the problem of transfering field information, why not just drag over the computer that is made to be portable? I believe theses are turned off overnight at each regional.
I didn't know that calls weren't made (I was either in the stands or on the field during qualifiers) and knowing this, the pit set up sounds even more of a logistical nightmare....although I do think I'll be right next to Don with some popcorn to watch the stampede.
Game Announcer NY: 2005-2008
Game Announcer Champsionships: 2005-2008

#70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0233 (roccobot)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
mrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud of

just my two cents and not substantiated but i was told by shippers that the reasons for the multiple fields was the big, surprise musical act for the team party.
Off-Season: IRI, Mayhem, Robot Rodeo, TNT, Panther Prowl

Real Men Wear Pink
Check out www.roccobotics.com
Please visit www.thepinkteam.org
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Sometimes I do neat stuff.
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Katie_UPS

I'm not too pleased either; I loved everything about Atlanta... But this reminds me of when FIRST changed to districts for Michigan and everyone got in a huff about that too. That ended up working out with little complaint from people now-a-days. So I'm going to say what I said then:

FIRST encourages us to innovate and try new things, lets do the same for them.
Team Neutrino
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
I keep holding out hope that this is just a delayed action April Fools joke.
That was my immediate reaction as well.

I was told that one of the big reasons for choosing St. Louis over Indianapolis for the FIRST Championship was the difficulty of getting all the fields to fit in Lucas Oil Stadium and have good visibility and seating for Einstein without shortchanging the FLL and FTC programs. I'm sure that leaving out two of the FRC division fields would have satisfied that issue, but I'm just as sure that such a proposal would have been laughed down had anyone been silly enough to suggest it.
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. p View Post
just my two cents and not substantiated but i was told by shippers that the reasons for the multiple fields was the big, surprise musical act for the team party.
The big surprise musical act? Is that the same team party that follows the closing ceremonies? The ones that follow the World Championship? The World Championship that teams that are competing at paid lots of money to compete at?

Surely that can't be the reason.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

To try and calm a few nerves, we were set up in a convention center at Smoky mountain regional and it was one of the best environments I have ever been in. The stands were comfortable and spacious and the pits that were set up right next to the playing field were spacious and the most quiet FIRST pits I have ever been in.

So if it's done properly the fears of the pit being too loud or not enough seating in the stands can be mitigated.

Now having said that: Why FIRST chose a venue that can't accommodate 6 fields + FTC is totally beyond me (well not totally but I won't speculate further.).

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej

At Disney, if my memory is correct...there were a couple of setups.

One was three stages (two small, one big) and teams rotated from small to big to make sure everyone got a chance to play on the big stage. There were reserved seating areas that teams had to rotate in and out of during/after their match. It worked well enough.

As Nationals got bigger, it turned into the main pit tent, two tents with fields, and Einstein Stage. Each field tent had two fields and each field was a division (Einstein was a division the first year, but only the first year...I think). I think this was the same setup in 2001 and 2002. Your division field was where you played most of your matches and was where the elims were held. Each division rotated to Einstein for an hour at a time I believe and I think everyone played two matches out there...not consecutively. Divisional seating was tiny... bleachers maybe had 15, 20 rows at max, and were the length of the field plus a bit more. ON ONE SIDE ONLY. I don't know how people watched matches (I was on the field), but that was part of the reason we're no longer at Disney. We got too big.

If the pit hall is anything like the Atlanta pits, I don't see how this will work. Traffic and queuing are going to be a mess (at least queuing in the dome, albeit LONG, was scenic), its going to be noisy, and seating will be nonexistent. Ceiling height could be an issue too (there are some human players with high throwing arcs). Will the pit fields have video production? Will they have a visible screen for teams to watch (drive teams especially?)?

I've never been in the EJD but if it is at least the same floor space as the Georgia Dome, there was plenty of wasted space that could have been put to better use. Not to mention that once FLL and FTC pack up, Einstein was left vacant for the better part of two days and the FTC space became a giant void. FIRST College could use Einstein if FRC fields are being moved for that.

Plus - no robot parade!?! This irks me...not just because we finally earned a spot in the would be parade this year, but because I loved seeing all the mascots, HOF teams, and RCA teams get their moment in the spotlight - the time for the teams that might not have the best robot but represent what FIRST is all about to be seen by all.

At least there's no Houston ramps to deal with....
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: