OCCRA
Go to Post Super Regional? I don't know...if you combine NJ and Philly the universe might tear a hole in itself...and we wouldn't want that now would we? Mwahaha. - George A. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
AKA: Ramy Fawaz
FRC #0503 (Frog Force)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
fuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Favorite Memories Of The 2011 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
* I made some of my first parts during this season, and used the lathe and mill for the first time.
* The first time 2-tube auto ran, it was bag day, and in the basement on the practice field. It worked so nicely (until we changed the wheels at Troy).
* Winning Kettering, the first event 33 had won since 2005. It was nice to finally win, instead of being finalist again and again.
* Winning MSC with 67 and 70 (More Hot Bees), possibly the best alliance I have ever been on during official events. 33+67=100% awesome?
* the "3" game with 2337 and 503 (among others)* Scouting meeting before the concert. Lots of team numbers shouted out, lots of scouting sheets passed around, and lots of teams sorted into piles and then sorted again.
* Watching the robot drive dead straight the first time I ran the drive-straight code on the competition robot. It was soooo nice to see things translate from the practice to comp bots so easily.
The "3" game is so insanely awesome
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
AKA: Ramy Fawaz
FRC #0503 (Frog Force)

fuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond reputefuzzwaz has a reputation beyond repute

And for me, it has to be our very FIRST chairmans presentation at the Nile's district. We had a "searching through the jungle" presentation where we are T.V. guides on the FIRST discovery network. I start off by crawling in and shushing the judges and then I jump up in the air and yell "CRICKEY!".

The very first time, the judges assistant looked at me and said-

"You can go in now"
"Oh, I know"
*lays flat on my stomach*

The look on her face was priceless!

At the state championship, the judges stopped the time because they thought I tripped and fell!

i'll never forget
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Lucky #7
AKA: Jeff Gier
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustang Robotics) #159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Jeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant future

Team at midwest walks into our pit:
"Do you guys have a wiring diagram?"

Sophomore student, his first year working on electrical, but he is the man now: "I am a human wiring diagram, how can i help you?"

This team^ had no electrical faults throughout the regional.
2010 OKC Champions
Alpine Robotics 159 (2012-)
2012 CO Finalists

700 miles from home, 2 miles from FRC. Life is good.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

A treasure chest of memories this year.

Attending the 9th year of the Chesapeake Regional and helping as inspection manager. The lead inspector, the robot inspectors and the teams made this just plain fun and something I have never "officially" done before.

Having a secret sponsor step in to tell me they would pay for my airfare to the Championship when they heard I wasn't planning to go. Having the Baltimore Area Alliance teams pay for my hotel. Because of this I saw dozens and dozens of people I care about.

Helping to facilitate the 7th annual NEMO meeting at the Championship. 7 years! Where did the time go?

Working on the shout-out video at the Championship and being given the freedom to do this the way I envisioned it. The videographer was so easy to work with. I had a blast. So thanks to all those panicked team members who agreed to be filmed before I told them they needed to mention all their mentors. Yes, all of them.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
iScout
AKA: Brian, Frenchie, or that guy
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Frenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the rough

The "aw heck yea!" moment when the robot first drove

Long hours CNCing
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:40 PM
AKA: Dirk
FRC #3562 (LiveWire)

Rookie Year: 2009
legogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura about

The best part of the pre-season was discovering our team number was 3456

Moving from an experienced team (1569) onto a rookie team offered some really neat experiences. As a captain, I was really able to lead the new members and I felt that I really helped show them the true meanings of FIRST robotics, it was a really neat experience.

Winning Rookie All-Star was really awesome. I knew it qualified us for the championship, but I don't think anyone else on my team realized. So when the regional director told us we were going to St. Louis, it was awesome seeing the looks on everyone's faces and watching everyone jumping up and down, hugging everyone in sight, and being so excited for the amazing opportunity!
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Renaissance Man
AKA: David
FRC #1188
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
Kyoshirin is an unknown quantity at this point

-Having people come to our pits and become more impressed by our wrench-on-a-carabiner rack than our robot. =D

-Going to states with my buddy and missing all of the elims because we were in the practice field with other robots. (I will always respect 503's drivers, their robot is really hard to drive)

-Playing a humongous game of ninja at the CMP afterparty.

Last edited by Kyoshirin : 05-07-2011 at 04:43 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Cheesy or Riot
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)

PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

• When our minibot won its first race at VCU, I proceeded to jump a good 3 feet in the air. I figured this out since I was eye-level with the top rack. I screamed, I danced, I hugged. It was a big moment.
  • My favorite moment was seeing a team dejected by our worst performance in 3 years at Chesapeake so excited, happy, and proud to be on Team 422. That's why I'm so excited about the offseason. The kids get it. Now we just have to show that to everyone.
  • My third favorite memory this year is the help 340 gave us on the minibot. Great teams come out of Rochester...great enough that 422 is considering FLR as a 2012 destination regional. We don't ever pick an easy regional (here's to you, Trenton)
  • My last one was hearing what our projected 2011-2012 revenue was before I started putting the first legitimate business plan together for our team. I swear, we are going to be turning heads in 10 months (I hope).
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Fallout Coach
FRC #3509 (Team Fallout)
Team Role: Coach

Fallout coach is an unknown quantity at this point

- coaching a rookie Niles FRC team and hosting the first ever Niles District event and not going crazy.

- being at a business presentation with our marketing unit and having a CEO ask a team member to describe our team and having my student say " we are basically the "super club" of Niles high school because there is a position for everyone such as design, marketing, electrical, software, hardware, and web site building.". That was a magic moment for this rookie coach!

- watching the 18 students on the team "find their voice". FIRST really does change kids!

- winning the Rookie Inspiration Award at the Waterford district event.

- winning the Spirit award at our own Niles district event.

- watching the kids overcome discomforts as they worked with and got to know kids that were not the same race as they were.

- watching the students cook hot dogs in the rain (and enjoying it) at our end of competition season cook out.
Traverse city 2012 district champions
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Excellence is Bliss
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
AlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite memories of this season has to be our alliance's amazing bounce back from the DQ we had during the Galileo Finals.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Software/Design/Strategy Mentor
AKA: jeremypg399
FRC #5012 (GryffinGear) && FRC #399 (Eagle Robotics)

Jeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant futureJeremy Germita has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy Germita

This year was my second year in FRC and fourth year in FIRST total. By far, this was the best.

Offseason/Build Season:
-I had so much fun training 5 programming rookies about Java and electronics. We've had so many good times during these training sessions. I loved seeing a certain pair of freshmen grow from a set of immature kids to real leaders(Shouts out to Gabe and Brad!)
-The many hours we spent in the school's quad driving around in the cold was another good time during build. It was especially funny when one of my team's operators decided to talk to his girlfriend on the phone while I was driving.
-The day the electronics board(or at least it's cardboard predecessor) was mounted was a great day. James Bot drove for the first time!

San Diego regional:
-My first time getting the robot inspected. It was especially fun to point out all of the little things my wiring team did to comply with the rules. I apologize to the inspector if I came off as a little talkative about the little details
-The first FRC match I have operated in. A full logo up by us, we played with one of my favorite teams(294) and against another favorite(1717). Although I accidentally deployed early, it was a really fun match! Also, seeing our robot move and almost score was an awesome sight for our first match
-Eliminations:
-In the quarterfinals, we played against team 1538(a favorite of myself and our coach). That was a fun set of matches!
-In the semifinals, Seeing my driver juke defense while I brought the tube to scoring position was awesome!
-In the finals, we were clearly outgunned against teams 254 and 987. We played as hard as we possibly could, and that was apparently too hard for our arm, center wheel treads, and minibot! My favorite little bit was driving our roller claw back and fourth for about a foot near our tower.

Los Angeles Regional:
-Our team spent a day sightseeing on Wednesday. I enjoyed hanging out with my team mates.
-Thursday was a very stressful day for our pit crew. Repairing the arm system was the task at hand. We lost the chain somewhere between the San Diego sports arena and our shop! Thanks McMaster Carr for the speedy service! My arm positioning code did not work quite well with the new arm motors. For one: the pit crew neglected to tell me they did not check the polarity on the motors before wiring it up(Apparently, they assumed I would do it, so my fault, too). Also, they neglected to tell me the RS555s would be slower than the RS550s they replaced. The control over the arm was a bit wonky(the setpoint would change faster than the arm would move). This was fixed
-Practice matches were fun. These were the first matches with one of our new drive coaches, Brad(our driver from 06-09).
-While we did not fare as well as we wanted to during this competition, we lost to a set of great teams(330, 1717, 1515) in the semifinals

Utah Regional:
-It was a lot of fun on the practice field for a regional's worth of matches all day on Thursday.
-It was great to meet and help the teams in the pits
-It was awesome being pit neighbors with team 2122!
-Snow!
-It was awesome winning the regional with teams 2122 and 3239!

Championship Event:
-I had tons of fun working with our qualification alliance partners on strategy! My favorite matches were the ones with 2337, 48, and 469!
-going up against teams 254, 111, and 973 in the semifinals! You guys were tough opponents and deserved the win.
-It was also really cool to walk around to other pits and talk to such teams as 503, 359, 294, 1197, 2122, 3239, and 330.

Mentor FRC5012 GryffinGear / FRC399 Eagle Robotics / FTC72 GarageBots / FTC 5011 BotSquad / FTC7328 ICE / FTC 8973 Eagle Robotics -- 2013-Current
Student FRC399 / FTC72 -- 2009-2013
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Crimpin' ain't easy
AKA: Kusha Gharahi
no team (Looking for a team)
Team Role: College Student

Kusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the rough

Build Season:
-Being able to enumerate all the jags by myself, and then figuring out what my mentor was doing wrong.
-Learning how to debug jags
Dallas Regional:
-Me convincing our whole team to skip everywhere
-Our Coach challenged me:
Told me if I can pick up a flat tube, He'd buy me coffee. (guess what we did hang a flat tube)
-Having some of my mentors congratulating me; I was able to get the whole team to work together without the head mentor there. THIS NEVER HAPPENS
-Meeting Dean Kamen
-FINALLY HANGING A TUBE IN THE SEMIS! We had CAN issues, so we never got to hang with our robust claw/linear lift! What was ironic was that we hung the first two tubes of the practice rounds.
-Going out after the last day to get pizza.

And many many many more memories that I don't have the patience to talk about.

― Mahatma Gandhi
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Team 1089 Alum. RU Class of 2015.
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

flyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud of

Ooh boy, my last year as a FIRST student. from now on I am a team 1089 alumnus, and hopefully a mentor for some team out there

jersey regional:
- i was really bummed about being sick the first two days of competition. even on saturday i was pretty under the weather, but there was no way i was going to miss the event.
- i was informed about 45 minutes before alliance selection that i would be going out on the field for 1089. i asked our mentors if they were sure they wanted me out there, what with me being not present the first two days, and they assured me they trusted me. that felt really good. i was able to take in a few matches on saturday morning to get a feel for some teams.
- i got down to the field, and watched as top 8 teams kept picking each other. i had prior knowledge that team 2180 was interested in picking us, unfortunately, we had decided that we wanted to try and build our own alliance. more pressure on me
- i declined 2180 and got booed for it....... it was at the same time, one of the proudest, and lowest moments of my time in FIRST. i mean i got booed! lol that only happens to bad guys. it was a low moment, cuz i guess i was a bad guy?
- anyway, i picked 1647 and 102, 2 amazing teams! im so glad i picked both of you, and i would do it again in a heartbeat. QF's ,were facing team 25. first match we get blown out of the building. but we strategize. and we come back. all the way to the finals! we got beaten out by a clearly superior alliance, but hey i got out on the field to pick my own team, and i got a medal. thats what i call a successful regional.

DC Regional
- i love travelling to robotics events. this was no different.
- again on saturday, i went out on the field to make an alliance for myself. picked two great robots, and went into elims.
- we beat the 2 seed! but then we lost to the same team we lost to in NJ (2016) hats off to 2016 they had one heckuva season.
- a lot of inside jokes and memories created on the trip.. i think ive gone on too long

lol so yeah, thats pretty much my memories of this year. i know its REALLY long, and if you read it all, i thank you and congratulate you. truth is, all the moments ive spent on team 1089 have been my favorite. all four years. cant wait to be back as an alumni and do it all over
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Rocket Surgeon
AKA: John Begovich
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Electrical

Fireball9199 is a name known to allFireball9199 is a name known to allFireball9199 is a name known to allFireball9199 is a name known to allFireball9199 is a name known to allFireball9199 is a name known to all

This match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2sm5-wmAE where we break a belt on our arm after a collision with 33 and still manage to hang 4 tubes after
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Simplicty is Complicated!
AKA: Bryan Culver
FRC #0033 (The Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2009
BJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzwaz View Post
The "3" game is so insanely awesome
Although I have never been a part of the three game (I'm generally busy at events) I have heard stories that have made my sides hurt laughing.

One of my favorite that I've heard involved 2 of our students in a covert mission to get our threes back from 2337. They doned thunderchicken shirts (217 was sitting right next to 2337 in the stands) went and sat in the middle of the 217 kids for about 15 minutes. (to many weird glances by the 217 kids) Finally the cha cha slide started playing and while the 2337 kids were dancing our two coverts ran over and grabbed the threes much to the confusion of the 2337 students. (why the heck were thunderchickens stealing their threes?) They then ran away and pulled off their 217 shirts much to the suprise of the Enginerds. A successful operation.. Although I'm pretty sure the Enginerds got the threes back later via cleaver use of a mascot.

Anyways, that was my favorite story this year.

(p.s. to all three game contenders): I'm not quite sure who is winning, but we will be ready for you next year!

Last edited by BJC : 05-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: