OCCRA
Go to Post Yes indeed... ten years ago tomorrow, those famous words "water game" were first mentioned on Chief Delphi! Oh, how things have and have not changed... - bduddy [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 7068/7075 Aluminum Gears

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
<-- Safety first!
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 7068/7075 Aluminum Gears

I was very jealous of your gearboxes in St. Louis, and I'm very excited to hear that some of your gears will be available to purchase!

The first obvious questions: What sizes/arrangements of gears will you be offering? From the hex bores in some of the ones pictured, I'm guessing most will be drop in replacements for some of the standard AM ones. Pinions? Pricing?

2006-2010: NERDS..........1726
2010: Turbulence............3194
2011-?: Falcon Robotics...842

Check out "Babs" the underwater robot --- and some neat robot videos
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
I was very jealous of your gearboxes in St. Louis, and I'm very excited to hear that some of your gears will be available to purchase!

The first obvious questions: What sizes/arrangements of gears will you be offering? From the hex bores in some of the ones pictured, I'm guessing most will be drop in replacements for some of the standard AM ones. Pinions? Pricing?
The gear sizes shown are somewhat arbitrary; it was the usual custom 973 gearbox with gearteeth picked for our ratios. Also, the bores on the dog gears do not match AM. They were made for teams directly. The gears weren't perfect as some people pointed out at champs, and had worn of the anodizing completely on some (a minority); they still ran and never yielded on us however (through 4 competitions so far, and two more coming up). RC tells me him and the shop know the issues, and are certain they won't be repeated. I know he would only sell quality gears.

I would assume if he were selling he would be making standard sizes, and presumably drop in replacements. I personally would love "toughbox" style gears to give us more easy single speed spur gearbox options. Direct replacement for the AM shifter set would be cool too.

So yeah RC, that's what WE want ^^^^^^.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

Last edited by AdamHeard : 07-29-2011 at 10:08 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
AKA: Sean
FRC #2415 (Wired Cats)

sdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to sdcantrell56

We (2415) used these gears the entire season through 3 regionals, Champs, and IRI and they have held up perfectly. The anodizing has worn a bit but from what I hear production gears will be getting a much harder finish. Also the machining quality on these gears was much higher than anything I have seen offered for FIRST robotics.

2012 Peachtree Regional Champs
2011 North Carolina Regional Champs
2011 Peachtree Regional Champs
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

It's perfectly normal for the hard anodize to wear a bit at the tooth interface. If you look at the 254/968 2007 transmissions you'll see exactly that. We noticed this happen within a few hours of run time, but after that saw no wear of the actual tooth profile.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
It's perfectly normal for the hard anodize to wear a bit at the tooth interface. If you look at the 254/968 2007 transmissions you'll see exactly that. We noticed this happen within a few hours of run time, but after that saw no wear of the actual tooth profile.
Exactly, the tooth profile was fine.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Just gotta say, if these gears are commercially available they will completely change how I design robots.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be a legal vendor for FRC teams?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
AKA: Sean
FRC #2415 (Wired Cats)

sdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to sdcantrell56

I'll go ahead and answer for RC and say that he will be a legal FIRST vendor. I'm pretty excited at how easy it is about to become to get quality aluminum gears. This will be a substantial weight savings for any teams that are willing to try something new.

2012 Peachtree Regional Champs
2011 North Carolina Regional Champs
2011 Peachtree Regional Champs
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post

Most of them will be drop in Replacements, Currently we are planning to have toughbox and the first two stages of supershifter gear replacements and then some other ratios that I think many teams will be pleased with.

I'll put more details up the pricing/site/pinions in the following weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcantrell56 View Post
I'll go ahead and answer for RC and say that he will be a legal FIRST vendor. I'm pretty excited at how easy it is about to become to get quality aluminum gears. This will be a substantial weight savings for any teams that are willing to try something new.
Sean is correct.

We are experimenting with a few different coatings. There will be more information in the following weeks. 1323 was also pretty happy with the gears and loved the weight savings.

-RC
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is basically pretty awesome. I wish you guys a lot of luck, and I'll be very interested to see the prices when things get rolling.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #4991 (HORSEpower)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

The original 2007 254/968 gearbox made me cry a little bit when I first picked it up. I'm very happy that somebody is finally bringing these to market because I'd like to experiment with spur gears on a bicycle eventually.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: