Go to Post Hopefully LMFAO will cross paths with FRC71. They've been shufflin' since 2002. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "i.am.FIRST -- Science is Rock and Roll" airs August 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Jason, it's an actual ad/trailer. The celebrities take turns saying it. It's a part of the current promotion campaign for the Special.

I'm not so sure folks are worried about good publicity or bad publicity at this point. They like -> publicity.

Jane
It would seem its much worse then I had thought. I hope that someone points out the flaw in this campaign and it gets straightened out. We are just starting to get the ball rolling. I'd hate for progress to slow down due to bad publicity. I hope I'm not the only one that sees a big difference.

Jason

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Jason, here's a link to the "My robot is better than your robot" video: http://iamfirst.dipdive.com/media/183664

I do see how some people could take it the wrong way (interpreting it to mean that FIRST is really gung-ho competitive), but I personally can't take it seriously because of the manner in which it's presented. I feel like the little techno voice in the background gives it a friendly-competition-between-music-celebrities feel. If the background music had been more intense, with the people making more violent gestures and having more of an edge to their voice (and even though Miley actually does sound violent, I just cracked up when I heard her say it), I would be a lot more worried.

No matter how it's presented, a lot of people who view the special who aren't in FIRST will automatically assume that it's like Battlebots, because that's what they're used to expecting when they hear "robot competition." I do hope that Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism will be explained and connected to FIRST so as to preserve the image that we want, but I don't expect a huge deal to be made out of it. This special is supposed to promote science, not convert the world to gracious professionalism (though that wouldn't be such a bad idea).
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
It would seem its much worse then I had thought. I hope that someone points out the flaw in this campaign and it gets straightened out. We are just starting to get the ball rolling. I'd hate for progress to slow down due to bad publicity. I hope I'm not the only one that sees a big difference.

Jason
Perhaps we do need to lighten up, Jason. And, there are 4 more days to promote this event so we may be seeing more material released.

One thing that I think will be interesting to watch for, are teams who decide to use that catch phrase to be cool and how it is accepted during the competition season.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Perhaps we do need to lighten up, Jason. And, there are 4 more days to promote this event so we may be seeing more material released.

One thing that I think will be interesting to watch for, are teams who decide to use that catch phrase to be cool and how it is accepted during the competition season.

Jane
After seeing the video, I can see that it was clearly intended to be lighthearted. I am a little confused as to why they chose that statement to be repeated throughout the video. There are alot better messages to be sent. From what I've seen, it would seem the celebrities get it. Just not sure if the directors do. Guess we'll just wait and see how the final product turns out. If it gets posted online somewhere, please send me a link. I don't have cable at my apartment currently.

Jason

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

The line is repeated throughout the video because it's catchy! It's attention getting, it creates top of mind awareness, it creates interest. Everybody in FIRST thinks "my robot is better than your robot" - otherwise we wouldn't sink hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and millions of brain cells into it.
People don't have to "get" it. They just have to know about it. Once they know about it, then they come to it, experience it, talk to it, learn it, then get it. At first blush, people don't need to know about GP any more than they need to know gear ratios, screw classifications, or LabVIEW. It's about Inspiration. It's about Recognition. It's about Science and Technology. That's all it's For; any more than that is just gravy.
We're changing the culture, and Mr. I.Am is helping. But it's not gonna happen in one fell swoop. As small steps go, this is potentially one giant leap.

#51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

I don't mind the 'my robot is better than your robot' phrase, but it instantly reminded me of Nike's 'my better is better than your better' campaign (see here and here) I'm sure I'm in the vast minority who made that connection, but I don't think it is a good thing for FIRST to be associated with.

Last edited by XaulZan11 : 08-10-2011 at 09:26 PM.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltSanderRocks View Post
2. Justin Bieber says "US FIRST" rather than just "FIRST". The irony.
How many people here still refer to "Nationals"?

The organization's name is the United States Foundation for the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology. Lots of people who were part of it early on still call it US FIRST.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
How many people here still refer to "Nationals"?

The organization's name is the United States Foundation for the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology. Lots of people who were part of it early on still call it US FIRST.
I really had no idea Justin Bieber had been a part of first that long. He just looks so young. Seriously though, I don't see it as a big deal though I understand that that is partly due to me being in the US. It does hint that his lines might have been written by someone who has been a part of FIRST for a while. This could be both a good and bad thing. It takes away the sincerity of the whole thing but at least we are certain that the message is from someone who has been here long enough to know what FIRST is all about. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the slip of the word.

Jason

#54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
I really had no idea Justin Bieber had been a part of first that long. He just looks so young. Seriously though, I don't see it as a big deal though I understand that that is partly due to me being in the US. It does hint that his lines might have been written by someone who has been a part of FIRST for a while. This could be both a good and bad thing. It takes away the sincerity of the whole thing but at least we are certain that the message is from someone who has been here long enough to know what FIRST is all about. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the slip of the word.

Jason
Will.I.Am has been saying 'US FIRST' since he got involved.

I haven't been able to figure out why.
Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs/Looking for one near Purdue)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute

Just another promotion for the special, E-news had Will.I.Am on. He was interviewed about the special by Ryan Seacrest with his two promo-robots. It showed students being interviewed with the pits in the backround, so that tells me it won't just be the concert.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that what Steven Tyler was describing is science...
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
is getting his kicks.
AKA: Mark Kramarczyk
FRC #3096 (Highlanders)

kramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Will.I.Am has been saying 'US FIRST' since he got involved.

I haven't been able to figure out why.
Probably from every time he hands out the URL, www.usfirst.org.

Brick walls are for other people. - Randy Pausch
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

The people in this video are the means of getting our message out to an audience we have not been able to reach before. They are speaking in their terms to their audiences to bring them into our world. This is a great opportunity for us to inspire a lot of people who are being introduced into the world of FIRST for the first time. Get ready for a lot of work with all these new people coming on board, we will have a lot of educating to do, but this is our chance to change their culture, to show them a whole new world they never knew existed. So lets be prepared to welcome and inspire.

There was a discussion on one of the video posts on FB, and here is one of my responses from that conversation, I think it is relevant here as well...

Quote:
They are just the conduit for our message, not the message itself. The type of audience they will reach are exactly the type of person we want to bring in and inspire. It's easy to reach the geeks and inspire them, its a lot harder to reach the cheerleader and get her involved with robotics but the Inspiration Delta (ID) is much greater.

#59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
The Crazy Blonde
AKA: Cassie
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Dancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dancin103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisk View Post
Help an old guy out here....

Do I promote this as will.i.am and FIRST?

or Black Eyed Peas and FIRST?

Is it correct to promote the man or the group?
I specifically remember the show at Championship being promoted as will.i.am and friends, but they were introduced as the Black Eyed Peas. If I were to give this a name it would be will.i.am promoting FIRST. If that makes any sense. If not, I apologize.

Cass

2010 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Cathy Beck
2011 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Jack Tusman
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
STechnologyEM Teacher, Alumni
AKA: Nate Knauss
FRC #2729 (LC Storm Robotics Team)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
nlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond repute

I received an email that Dean Kamen and will.i.am will be the featured guests on the Piers Morgan show Friday (8/12) at 9p. Wonder what they could be talking about?!

I'm loving the publicity coming from this!

Nate Knauss
FRC 2729 Teacher-Drive Coach 2009-?, FTC 4390, FTC 7433

FRC 87 Student 2000-2002 and Mentor 2003-2006, FRC 1647 Mentor 2006-2008, FIRST Senior Mentor 2009-2013
2014 - Hatboro-Horsham Innovation in Control Award, Lenape-Seneca Gracious Professionalism Award
2013 - Lenape-Seneca District Winners (w/ 316 & 2495), Chairman's Award, Mid-Atlantic Region Champions (w/ 2590 & 1640)

"We can't change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." -Randy Pausch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: