OCCRA
Go to Post It made me proud to know that we have corporate sponsors with genuine interest. - galewind [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Lucky #7
AKA: Jeff Gier
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustang Robotics) #159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Jeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant future
Re: pic: Cobra box

While taking another look at this, I thought of something else. You may want to consider putting the plates that support the worm on the "outside" and bolting into the side plates. This way the thrust loads from the gearbox (which will often be shock forces, not light constant ones) will pull in-line with the bolts used to bolt the plate on.
2010 OKC Champions
Alpine Robotics 159 (2012-)
2012 CO Finalists

700 miles from home, 2 miles from FRC. Life is good.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
The Giggle-bot
AKA: Jamie Ortiz-DeLeon (giggles)
FRC #4002 (Rhombi Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2010
roboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura aboutroboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura aboutroboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura about

DUDE THATS SWEET! Solidworks?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Creo Mentor, Treasurer Tau Beta Pi
AKA: Jonathan Stokes
FRC #1671 (Buchanan Bird Brains)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
steelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud of

Wow a lot of great ideas I will add those in this week. Thanks everyone for the input.

This rendering was done in ProE 5/ Creo, but I am also working on a Solidworks duplicate at my college.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
The Giggle-bot

roboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura aboutroboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura aboutroboticsgoof95 has a spectacular aura about

Which do you find easier to use? I was trained in Solidworks and find it very easy... but I am just curious.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM

steelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud ofsteelerborn has much to be proud of

Hmm good question. I was first trained in ProE and then self taught myself SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor. I would say for making individual parts SolidWorks takes the cake, the ribbon structure and layout is very very simple to both understand and use. However when you get into more complicated assemblies, ProE is better. ProE does a better job at keeping individual parts organized in a complex assembly. SolidWorks puts mates under its own tab and you have to find which one you want to modify, ProE automatically keeps mates together by part. SolidWorks outlines most lines (you can turn this off) and makes the part look very nice and easy to see. ProE is a little hard to stare at sometimes, but you can get used to it. ProE creates far better renderings than SolidWorks in my opinion.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
The Giggle-bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerborn View Post
Hmm good question. I was first trained in ProE and then self taught myself SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor. I would say for making individual parts SolidWorks takes the cake, the ribbon structure and layout is very very simple to both understand and use. However when you get into more complicated assemblies, ProE is better. ProE does a better job at keeping individual parts organized in a complex assembly. SolidWorks puts mates under its own tab and you have to find which one you want to modify, ProE automatically keeps mates together by part. SolidWorks outlines most lines (you can turn this off) and makes the part look very nice and easy to see. ProE is a little hard to stare at sometimes, but you can get used to it. ProE creates far better renderings than SolidWorks in my opinion.
Acctually you Solidworks you can take a complex assembly and making it organized. if you click on the part and go to i think its mate parts, it lists it. Also you can go to your assembly file open the part and then go to mates in. all your parts will be there.

Jamie Ortiz-DeLeon
eye <3 ^O[]
There is nothing better than finding your one passion and then sharing it with others.<> <> <> <> <> <> <>
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
ProE versus solidworks is a somewhat unfair compairson, as Catia is the equivalent software from Solidwork's manufacturer.

I've had to use ProE a lot for school, and prefer solidworks and Catia to it. To each his own. Also, trivially correction but mates are also listed by part in solidworks.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Yeah it is just really a personal decision. I really like ProE because all of the support you get from PTC is just amazing. It is very very helpfull for the build season.

Really?! that helps out a lot I haven't really done to much in SolidWorks yet in school so it is just me playing on the computer. Making a robot in both programs is possible, I like making things in ProE and then redoing the same parts in SolidWorks as good practice. Although I don't know a lot of SolidWorks shortcuts and tips like I do with ProE. But PTC really just makes team communication a lot easier between FAB, CAD, and all the rest of the team.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
MCAD $@#$@#$@#$@#$@#., Pelco
FRC #1671 (Team 1671)

Rookie Year: 2005
jhouser will become famous soon enough

Good points regarding alignment and bent plates. It's typical to assume at least a .015" tolerance per bend, which means that our tolerance on the mounting hole locations is probably approximately .030". With a good brake operator and probably a little scrap, you can probably get this down to about .005" or less depending on the amount of time you spend on it.
Ideally, I think for a nice tight tolerance on the axle for the worm, I would say bend a c-channel and then machine it. You should be able to get down to a .0001" tolerance.
One critical feature that I haven't seen mentioned yet is backlash adjustment. Typically, any gear set will require some adjustment for backlash. This will impact the precision of your drive system as well as efficiency and lifetime.
Since I was Jonathan's mentor, I know he's probably already got most of this in mind...can't wait to see the next iteration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
You're better off staying away from bent 1/4" Al. Might as well have two pieces bolted to form the L to mount. Just countersink the bottom screws. If you stick with the bent 1/4" just make sure you have the proper bend allowance in there. Tolerances can be thrown off a bit of bearing holes and such because of the tolerance of the bend, but I guess depending on your shop this could be negligible. Just a thought though.
Clovis, CA
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
The Giggle-bot

Quote:
Yeah it is just really a personal decision. I really like ProE because all of the support you get from PTC is just amazing. It is very very helpfull for the build season.

Really?! that helps out a lot I haven't really done to much in SolidWorks yet in school so it is just me playing on the computer. Making a robot in both programs is possible, I like making things in ProE and then redoing the same parts in SolidWorks as good practice. Although I don't know a lot of SolidWorks shortcuts and tips like I do with ProE. But PTC really just makes team communication a lot easier between FAB, CAD, and all the rest of the team.
My suggestion to you, as a daughter of a solidworks pro, is take some time to play with the software. Slow down and youll find the short cuts.

Jamie Ortiz-DeLeon
eye <3 ^O[]
There is nothing better than finding your one passion and then sharing it with others.<> <> <> <> <> <> <>
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks Josh Yeah, you read my mind. I have already swapped the side plates out with a C frame lol and I moved the mounting hole locations as well.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Just throwing this out there to make it easier -- Solidworks also has a little button its popup ribbon that says "View Mates". If you select a part on your render and then click the button, it lists all of the current mates for the part. Then you can edit/delete the mates as you see fit. Works wonders when doing distance mates for welded parts.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Ah the infernal CAD software debate...

I've really found that the software someone "learned to CAD" on, tends to be their favorite (I wonder why??). It really comes down to personal preference.

My only recommendation to students is to stay flexible with what software you use. This isn't an Apple vs. Microsoft debate. Ive had jobs where I've had to work within Pro/E, SolidWorks and Inventor in one day, often using 2 packages at a time. I know many of my classmates from Northeastern went out and learned all kinds of software packages on their various co-ops, and now full-time jobs.

Don't limit yourself to one software package. As students, you have access to all kinds of free software, try them out, even just for kicks!

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
This isn't an Apple vs. Microsoft debate. Ive had jobs where I've had to work within Pro/E, SolidWorks and Inventor in one day, often using 2 packages at a time.
Even in the Apple v Microsoft v Linux debate... stay flexible. There have been many days where I go from Windows -> Mac -> Linux and back several times. It is the same reason I know several different programming paradigms, staying flexible gives your more ways to solve a problem effectively.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Even in the Apple v Microsoft v Linux debate... stay flexible. There have been many days where I go from Windows -> Mac -> Linux and back several times. It is the same reason I know several different programming paradigms, staying flexible gives your more ways to solve a problem effectively.
I was thinking in more "old school" terms when there was a lot bigger of a gap between the two companies (and Linux). Just like us mechanical guys, you software guys need to stay flexible (probably even more so) as you pointed out.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: