OCCRA
Go to Post There is nothing that compares to the smell of burning flesh, especially when it is your own. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526
[BB] FIRST Choice, Second Year!

I apologize if there's already a thread for this.

Quote:
Good Afternoon Teams,

Based on team feedback on the 2011 Kit of Parts Survey, I think you’ll be happy to hear that FRC will be working with AndyMark to offer FIRST Choice again in 2012. Like last year, veteran teams will receive a standard KOP and rookie teams will receive a standard KOP plus the “Rookie” kit. (Watch for details regarding KOP size and weight as we get closer to Kickoff). Then, in addition to the physical KOP distributed at Kickoff, all 2012 registered teams will be invited to select items through FIRST Choice.

FIRST Choice is an online extension of the traditional KOP that allows teams to pick and choose a select number of items to add to the 2012 KOP. The items are free, but teams incur the cost of shipping. There won’t be enough pieces for everyone to have one of everything. Instead, items will be issued to teams on a first come-first served basis.

Although FIRST Choice is an FRC initiative, the actual site will be an extension of the AndyMark, Inc. website. Teams will log into the FIRST Choice website using individual secure usernames and passwords (provided to the teams when we get closer to Kickoff) to see the choices, select the items they wish to receive, and pick a shipping option. Teams may add other AndyMark, Inc. products that they purchase to the FIRST Choice shipment.

Mark these dates on your calendar:
12.12.11: FIRST Choice site opens for viewing only.
01.09.12: FIRST Choice site opens for orders.
04.30.12: FIRST Choice site closes.

I’ll be looking for your feedback on FIRST Choice in the 2012 Kit of Parts Survey (available after FIRST Championship in April.) Thank you for your patience and participation as we explore the potential of this distribution model.

88 days until Kickoff
See you then!
I wonder if we'll see Tetrix kits in FIRST Choice again...
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant future
Re: [BB] FIRST Choice, Second Year!

I think mini-bots are here to stay... maybe.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

I hope not. Minibots were cool, but I'd rather stay away from them for a while.

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Engineer

Mk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
I hope not. Minibots were cool, but I'd rather stay away from them for a while.
Agreed.... I really don't want to deal with Minibots again...

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
Agreed.... I really don't want to deal with Minibots again...
Any "simple task" that takes 20 iterations to get right because the bar gets raised so high is something I don't want to see again.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM

thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Matteson View Post
Any "simple task" that takes 20 iterations to get right because the bar gets raised so high is something I don't want to see again.
Also, any "simple task" that requires nearly as much attention as the primary game objective probably isn't a simple task...

Not to mention the spending war that seemed to erupt once teams knew sub 2 second minibots were possible...
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

And don't even get me started in the minibot scoring....

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Also, any "simple task" that requires nearly as much attention as the primary game objective probably isn't a simple task...

Not to mention the spending war that seemed to erupt once teams knew sub 2 second minibots were possible...
I lost count of how many tetrix motors and batteries we bought and burned up trying to get it right. We showed up with a sub 2 second minibot week 2 and everyone who didn't have one copied the 3 of us who did.

Getting sub 2 seconds for regionals was important to master, but for championship you had to be below 1.5 for divisions and below 1.1 for Einstein, because thats how things elevate.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I am not looking forward to giving Tetrix another cent of my money ever again.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Minibots were a fun and interesting idea but from kickoff on the rules were a complete disaster. If they come back I hope FIRST had learned their lesson.

Back to the OP: Congrats to AndyMark for being the FIRST Choice distributor again!

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Has done the math, have you?
AKA: Dave Button
no team (No Team, Changed Schools)

Rookie Year: 2007
Phyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant future

Glad to see FIRST Choice coming back, hope it continues to give us the option of rounding out kit so we don't just add more stuff to the bin of things we will likely never use that used to come in the KOP.
The Plains, VA

“Simplify and add lightness.”
― Colin Chapman, Team Lotus
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope they learn from last year and stock up on items that "sold out" immediately... It sucks not getting what you want just because you logged in an hour late!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Every year on our team, we have a discussion about how past competitions and designs are behind us, the slate is now clean. There's no need to bring up ills and failures from the past. Learn lessons, move on.

The minibot horse is dead. Stop trying to beat it. Glue is too cheap.

There were lots of things available through FIRSTChoice that were not made from Tetrix. I for one am happy to get the opportunity to add to our inventory in a manner of our choosing. Last year was a learning opportunity on many levels - I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements in the FC program implemented. I'm also glad for the job security for Brant.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
Minibots were a fun and interesting idea but from kickoff on the rules were a complete disaster. If they come back I hope FIRST had learned their lesson.
And they weren't easy to ref, either!

I am hopeful that any future developments will be positive.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Am I mistaken, or were Batteries available via FIRST Choice last year?

If they're available again this year, at least we'll know what batteries are legal a month or so ahead of the season...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: