OCCRA
Go to Post A dedicated team is a happy team. - sgreco [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:02 PM
I'm a weirdo.
#0271 (Mechanical Marauders)

Chubtoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Chubtoad
Quote:
Originally posted by Jnadke
FIRST needed more room so they can take more teams. I would rather have a fun championship with everyone rather than a selective championship with an elite few.
From what I've heard the ultimate decision about Disney was not due to our size. Disney was planning for FIRST a certain weekend and FIRST said no because of AP's and what not, and the only other date available got taken up by some large convention that had booked out most of the hotels and airplanes or atleast where there wasn't enough left for us, at a reasonable price.

Yes I know that Dean said in the radio interview that is was size, but that was jsut PR i believe. It woudl be nice if they opened up to more teams, but as of yet they have made no notification of this and the Page about Qualifying for Nats is still very prominent upon logging into the Team Registration area. But You never know what might happen!

VIVA LA HOUSTON!!
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2002, 07:44 PM
AKA: Lisa Tarman
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
MrsT has a spectacular aura aboutMrsT has a spectacular aura aboutMrsT has a spectacular aura about
Talking Cheaper than FL from Balt/Wash!

We reserved flights today!.......40 people non-stop BWI to Houston....a little cheaper than 2 yr ago to Orlando!....less than $200 WITH the tax!

It doesn't matter WHERE - thousands of teenagers together are going to have FUN no matter what!

MrsT
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:53 PM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
Re: Re: Re: Houston still best choice this year...

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reiland
Or better yet Pewaukee!!!! Jusk kidding that's where I grew up right next to Oconomowoc!!
I got um .. lost .. in Pewaukee .. .. ..

I still think it should be in O-town (Oconomowoc, that is!)

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong
Yes, size matters!

Yes I know that Dean said in the radio interview that is was size, but that was jsut PR i believe. It woudl be nice if they opened up to more teams, but as of yet they have made no notification of this and the Page about Qualifying for Nats is still very prominent upon logging into the Team Registration area. But You never know what might happen!

VIVA LA HOUSTON!! [/b][/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that the arena capacity and cost of the new Venue matter the most.

In 2001 FIRST Nat'l maxed out WDW. This forced FIRST to use an odd/even system (which s****). This system really goes against FIRST's mission: if a student joins the team in their junior or
senior year, there is a probability he/she will never see a
National competition.

Also a bigger and safer venue is really necessary. FIRST needed
an indoor facility to house 10,000+ people, 1,200+ teams and three to four FRC field without weather problems.

Where can you get space that big other than a football stadium?
And have a theme park for the students?
And mid-point between East and West coast?
And is not in the snow regions?
And does not cost a lot?

Texas!
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2002, 03:07 PM
D.J. Fluck

"The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the heart of Texas
The prairie sky
Is wide and high
The sage in bloom
Is like perfume
Reminds me of
he one I love

The coyotes wail
Along the trail
The rabbits rush
Around the brush
The cowboys cry
Ki-yip-pee-yi
The dogies bawl
And bawl and bawl
Deep in the heart of Texas"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stx35.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	815  
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2002, 12:32 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AstroWorld

Quote:
Originally posted by robo hottie71
The other thing to consider is that the Championship Event will draw someting like 20,000 people. Granted, not everyone will go to the park on Friday, but the majority will. Therefore, lets say you have 15,000 people in the park.
Kev
Yikes, that is a lot of people.

This reminds me - does anyone have an estimate of the number of people at the nationals?

I figure 40 (and that is high number) of people per team

X 400 (4 divisions, of 100 teams, again, I am begin very generous)

That is a total of 16000 people - the real nats had (to my knowledge of 2001-2002 game) 4 divisions of 80 teams.

That would equal 12800 people total, with 40 peopel per team.

Say, the number of people per team was dropped to 30 (some teams bring a lot, others bring very little)

That would be 9600 people.

I figure that 12000 would be a reasonable estimate for people total at the nationals.

But I digress
Personally, I am very happy that FIRST moved out of Disney. Food was very expensive there, and things were cramped and everything was pricey.

Texas! Ahh, that's my kind of place, where we can just spread out and have some wide open spaces! And we can listen to some quality country music and not urban rap! What a refreshment!

Also, With the nats being held in Reliant Park, I assume that FIRST does not need to create the huge tent city. That would really lower prices. It will interesting to see how much this trip will cost - it is more centrally located that FL, and the venue I think is much more expandable.

If this year works out, The Nats should stay there. Disney gave us the 5 day passes, but I never used mine, it was a waste of money. Plus, 6 Flags is opening up their park - Disney never really did that.

GO TEXAS! I am all for this move!

Vex Robotics Competition team advisor (4 high school teams)
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2002, 12:57 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Whoa, I just read through all that flame and logic and postings. Ouch, second degree burns...someone get me some ice!

I don't understand - why would you go to WDW with your FIRST team and care more about WDW?

When I went to Florida in 2001, I had no TIME to do anything! I was getting to sleep at 2 am and waking up at 6 am - between robotics and sleep, I had a day of down-time that I used to visit DisneyQuest (way cool)

But the 5 day pass was completely worthless, and the food and transportation would definitely hike up rates. Plus, there wasn't a place easily accessible for food at Disney - from my knowledge, you had to take a bus out - so I was stuck into buying yucky Disney food.

Things look a lot brighter with the Nationals in a new place. Every year, there seems to be a wash of criticism after the nationals of things that were bad. At least Houston is a relatively unknown quantity - It could be really good, really bad, but at least it's something different!

Besides, I always wanted to go to Texas...

I bet prices would be equivalent or cheaper too. (Good for me)

Vex Robotics Competition team advisor (4 high school teams)
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2002, 07:25 PM
None #0783 (Mobotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Harrison has a little shameless behaviour in the past
All I can really say is:

Texas! Here we come!
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:37 PM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds
Re: 1 week after last regionals?!@?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky Q.
If your team happens to qualify for The Championship at one of the regionals 1 Week before the event, its going to be really difficult to get all your logistics figured out and get there.

You'd have one week to first, find $4000, then book your travel and lodging, get your robot there by whatever deadline they set and manage to not go insane, because your regional would end on a Saturday

/me is glad we are #269 (even if we are odd)

Good luck!!

And I know your all dissapointed the Chamionship isn't in Oconomowoc, we just couldn't come to an agreement on a date You still can all stop by my house anytime, (except DJ)
I'll be there in 5 min Ricky!

Champion chips shoudl be at the midwest center in milwaukee, centralized location, and easy for my to drive to

Wave Robotics 2014 Season:
Northern Lights: Regional Finalist, Quality, Imagery, and Dean's List Finalist: Melissa D.
Wisconsin Regional: Quarter-finalists, Industrial design award.
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
Re: Re: 1 week after last regionals?!@?

Quote:
Originally posted by Butcher93
I'll be there in 5 min Ricky!

Champion chips shoudl be at the midwest center in milwaukee, centralized location, and easy for my to drive to
That'd be nice, except Milw. doesn't have the best hotel space, and the center might not be big enough, Miller Park on the other hand
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2002, 02:21 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

LSevcik has a spectacular aura aboutLSevcik has a spectacular aura aboutLSevcik has a spectacular aura about
What a wonderful debate about nationals being in Houston! The venue change for the championship is difficult for many people to accept and a huge undertaking for FIRST. As the regional director for Texas the past 4 years, I have had the pleasure of working with some great people in FIRST's headquarters in New Hampshire. When faced with a challenge the FIRST organization always rises to the occasion.

All of the concerns mentioned in this thread are known by FIRST. These concerns will be addressed, checked, rechecked and triple checked before the championship takes place. Houston is not WDW! It has one unique thing to offer that WDW doesn't. Imagine a championship where one doesn't have to worry about a heatstroke while waiting for finals and the awards ceremony. Airconditioning for all aspects of the competition. I for one will be happy not to come back with a sunburn this year.

In my humble opinion, I think we do a pretty good job running the Lone Star regional and the nationals will be great. The experience is what you personally want to make of it.

The FIRST folks have been working very hard and hear a ratio of 19,999 complaints for each compliment they receive. I know all of the FIRST teams are great competitors and will rise to the occasion as well. The spirit of FIRST lives in all of them. Knowledge is power and the unknown is scarey but in the end the spirit of FIRST will endure.
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2002, 02:32 AM
Embedded Firmware Engineer
no team (Semi-Retired)
Team Role: Engineer

JonA will become famous soon enoughJonA will become famous soon enough
Exclamation GB Packer Hat

If Team Wild Beast makes it to the national competition, I will wear a Green Bay Packer Hat to every match!!!

Go Team WILD BEAST 1064
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2002, 10:44 AM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: GB Packer Hat

Quote:
Originally posted by JonA
If Team Wild Beast makes it to the national competition, I will wear a Green Bay Packer Hat to every match!!!

Go Team WILD BEAST 1064
i dont think it could get any better than that

GO PACK GO!!

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
Re: GB Packer Hat

Quote:
Originally posted by JonA

Go Team WILD BEAST 1064
Haha, nothing better than our cheeseheads though
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: