OCCRA
Go to Post With one post, Mr. Miller joins the top 0.7% of Chief Delphi, reputation-wise. I think the community supports him. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
pandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant future
Good vs. Great Drive Teams

I am really looking forward to this years game but would like to pose a question. What do you think in the past has made the difference between good drivers and great drivers? What skills or qualities made these drivers so awesome? Practice, natural born talent, a combination of many things? I am interested to get some feedback on this.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Good vs. Great Drive Teams

Disclaimer: I have not been part of a "great" drive team, but I've watched many of them.

Practice would come second only to a complete and thorough knowledge and understanding of the game's rules. Knowing one's robot's capabilities, and how they can work within the structure of the game with the other two robots on the alliance, creates a "great" drive team.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I do stuff.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
FRC #1124 (The ÜberBots), FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

I think practice has an enormous influence on driving skill. I think, with enough practice, just about anyone can be made into a quality driver. Of course, there are some inherent skills that greatly aid this process (focus abilities, hand/eye coordination, etc).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
AKA: Niklas Olsen
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2009
mr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura aboutmr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura aboutmr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Disclaimer: I have not been part of a "great" drive team, but I've watched many of them.

Practice would come second only to a complete and thorough knowledge and understanding of the game's rules. Knowing one's robot's capabilities, and how they can work within the structure of the game with the other two robots on the alliance, creates a "great" drive team.
Rules are very important! As a drive team member myself, its also important for all the members on the field to be on the same page. Knowing the robot and its extents is also a very important part of driving. For there are many elements that make a good drive team.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

The drive team acting like one person with 4 hands and two* minds.

*This allows the driver and operator to focus on the robot and the coach to focus on everything else, like where the next ring is going to go.

The human player is not included in this because their role changes by year--some years the drive team needs to act like one person with 6 hands, 2 feet, and 3 minds.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
FRC #2425

Rookie Year: 2004
Rizner has a spectacular aura aboutRizner has a spectacular aura about

Multiple competitions -- those who are in their second competition have worked out many of the bugs during the first. Also, if they played in eliminations in a previous competition, the team can be calmer, and also play at the higher level during the entire second competition.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things that, to me, make a great driver.

1 - As said before, practice. Practice and experience are two of the greatest things a driver can have. Knowing how to really work the robot is different from just driving it. As monkey can pick up a controller and push some buttons and make the robot move. A driver who has practiced the with the robot, who knows how it really work, can make all the difference. It doesn't matter how good a robot you build; if a driver can't effectively work with it, it might as well just sit there. And that required practice.

2 - Maturity. Being mature is another key component of being a great driver. There is a reason children don't get licensed to drive on the roads. To be great, a driver needs to really appreciate his role on the team, and the weight he is carrying on his shoulders. He can't just be a kid who picks up a controller and plays a game. Don't get me wrong, having fun is one of the major goals of FRC, but a driver needs to know that when that match starts, he need to be ready to play, and he needs to respect the robot he has control of. Another thing that is kind of connected to that, is a driver needs to be able to stay calm under pressure. Even the greatest drivers will make rookie mistakes if they lose their head in a match.

3 - The third thing, and just as important as the others, is being a good team player. A driver with a big ego will not succeed, because they will end up going off in a match and doing what they thing is best. A great driver has to be able to work well with both the coach and operator. Not only that, but they need to have a connection with them that allows them to effectively operate as a single unit, as opposed to three people doing three separate jobs.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any questions!
-Leeland

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is really important to know how to carry out effective, constructive, respectful dialogue with the other alliances. We had the opportunity to work with some great drive teams who were especially good at that.

I also think positive chemistry within the drive team is important.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

The Coach.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #5403 (Aluminosity)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that we did last year was to create a robot that was easier for the students to operate. The use of X-Box controllers allowed the two students that spent time playing games to pick up on the controls easily. Also the use of different sensors on the robot allowed us to take some of the guesswork away from the drive team and make their job easier.

So I would say the robot they are driving has something to do with it too.
Great drive system=great drive team?
15' FRC rookie 5403
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)

pandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant future

Some great feed back already! I thought for sure someone was going to say building 2 robots but I guess that fits into the practice aspect.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
AKA: Niklas Olsen
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

mr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura aboutmr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura aboutmr.roboto2826 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKE2751 View Post
One thing that we did last year was to create a robot that was easier for the students to operate. The use of X-Box controllers allowed the two students that spent time playing games to pick up on the controls easily. Also the use of different sensors on the robot allowed us to take some of the guesswork away from the drive team and make their job easier.

So I would say the robot they are driving has something to do with it too.
Great drive system=great drive team?
Easy to drive does not necessarily mean a good drive team. A good drive team will adapt to any robot given to them no matter the game or controls. But yes this is somewhat true in that it takes some of the load off the drivers. I myself was a driver for three years, its best to let the drivers pick what they want to use, and not just use something that you think will work for them.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

1.) Tenacity of the drivers. They can't give up, regardless of how things are going in a match.

2.) Clarity of the coach. He/She should know the rules, the entirety of the robot, and be able to articulate specifics of the strategy in very concise terms.

3.) Practice. Don't leave home without it.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

I'll say practice, but viewed through the lens of experience. Practice with the robot will help the drivers become skilled at driving. Working as a team with the coach (and to a lesser extent the human players) in actual game situations will create better drive teams.

The coach has a huge responsibility as well. The coach needs to be able to control the entire team's situation. This doesn't mean making discreet commands to the driver regarding the robot, but to have a firm grasp of the situation the entire team is in at any given point.

I also believe that a keen scouting ability gives a drive team a leg up. This allows the drivers to asses situations when a scout team may not be present. We all know the best game plans can tend to go awry. If they do, having some quick thinkers who understand their teammates and opponents capabilities could be the difference.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

1.) Understanding of the rules. If you don't score high enough on the test you don't even get to try out

2.) Natural ability, some things no mater how much you practice you will just never get. The ability to drive just as well going forward or backward is one of those things. Another is being able to see where the gaps will be to cross the field like a great running back.

2A.) Great arm drivers are born not made. I don't understand why this is but every arm driver tryout I've ever seen it was pretty much unanimous who the best was, and they only got better with practice.

4.) Desire to succeed and never give up. Coming in 2nd in tryout 2 or 3 years in a row and still trying out working to get better? You've got the tenacity we want.

4.) Reliable robot. If the robot never works right you will never learn to drive it right and always be compensating for something.

5.) Be unflapable in the face of adversity. In the case a motor stops working or a mechanism breaks can they adapt the strategy to what they still have to work with.

6.) Takes direction from field coach and sticks to the plan. If you don't take direction you won't last long because we come up with strategy for a reason.

7.) Understanding the strategy of the game to prepare for each round knowing your opponents and what you must do to beat them.

8.) Trouble shooting. They must be able to fix the small issues that can come up with the field and setting up the robot while communicating with the refs and FTA if needed.

9.) Communication with the pit crew. If you can't describe or tell the pit crew about problems that you have with the robot they can't get fixed.

10.) Practice without all of the above, is moot.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: