OCCRA
Go to Post This system sucks more than our ball possession system. - IndySam [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM
AKA: Andrew Shumaker
FRC #2137 (TORC)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Shu2137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chairmans Award tips

We are submitting for Chairman's for the first time this year and so much of the information is about the video. But in reality the video should be one of the last items on the priority list because it is not even due until the competition date, correct?

I read the sames section that was posted previously but then so much emphasis is put on the video throughout the packet and tips guide so it makes it a little confusing. Am I understanding this right?

I am mentoring the Chairman's Committee this year so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to get my head around everything and make sure that I fully underestand it all.

Thanks! After all of this, I now have much more respect for the Chairman's teams!
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu2137 View Post
We are submitting for Chairman's for the first time this year and so much of the information is about the video. But in reality the video should be one of the last items on the priority list because it is not even due until the competition date, correct?

I read the sames section that was posted previously but then so much emphasis is put on the video throughout the packet and tips guide so it makes it a little confusing. Am I understanding this right?

I am mentoring the Chairman's Committee this year so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to get my head around everything and make sure that I fully underestand it all.

Thanks! After all of this, I now have much more respect for the Chairman's teams!
The video is important in the sense that if you don't have one, you most likely will not be allowed to do the Chairman's interview at the regional and not be eligible for the regional Chairman's Award.

On the other hand, as Cynette and Carol have both said, the written submission and interview have the greatest impact with the judges during consideration for the award and the video of the Chairman's Award receipient is reviewed for a potential showing at the regional.

Remember to pay attention to copyright rules while creating your video, especially when considering video and music included in the video. Look for music that can be freely used without copyright violation.

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
FRC #0063

starlightstereo is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Chairmans Award tips

Does anyone know the due date for this year's chairman's award?? We can't find it on the FIRST site! Dx also a handbook or something of the sort would be very helpful, we're slacking...
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

This and other important information is on the FIRST website at www.usfirst.org
click the FRC tab and then the calendar button on the sidebar.

The FIRST website is your source for official information.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, please remember that while we often focus on winning the Chairman's Award, that it is the effort to win that matters. No one "loses" RCA... if you've worked your butt off all year in the spirit of the award, then you've already won before you even get to the regional. Our team submitted for the Chairman's many times, comfortable in the knowledge that while we had done a lot over the course of the year that other teams had done more and were more deserving of the award. We were able to celebrate their success and still be proud of our own contribution. Formally documenting our efforts as part of our application was a capstone of the year's work. While we never won an RCA, we were a better team because we tried... and maybe once or twice we made it a tough decision for the judges!

And that decision can be tough. Last year I had the honour of being part of an RCA judging panel. I wish there was some way to truly convey the respect that the judging panel held for all the teams that submitted while respecting the confidenitality of the judging process. We read, carefully, every word of the written submissions. We were blown away by the quality of the carefully practiced presentations. Several teams finished their presentation within ten seconds of "the bell". Not that we were judging on time, but it underscores just how carefully they had practiced compacting a year's worth of activity into one short, dynamic presentation. In the end we had to choose one recipient of the award and it was very, very difficult to do.

It is probably too late to start on this for this year if you haven't been doing it all year long, but one thing that we truly appreciated was the documentation that teams provided that illustrated their activities and demonstrated their impact. Having photos of events, thank you notes, newspaper clippings... proven, hard facts that backed up the key elements of the presentation in an organized fashion was very helpful.

Find a team in your area that has won multiple RCA's and ask if they can show you the documentation that they bring with them to the judging room. The cool thing about the RCA is that the teams that truly deserve it are teams that want to help you win it. And believe me... there are many more teams who deserve an RCA than there are awards!

Be proud of your accomplishments, and go for it.

Jason
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Sometimes I do neat stuff.
AKA: Katie Widen
FRC #3928 (Neutrino), Alumni of 1675 (UPS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Katie_UPS

Chairman's in a nutshell:
-Focus only on the last two years of efforts (you can mention longevity of projects)

-Remember that you have a presentation and a paper. The presentation should not be a summary of the paper. Expand on what you said in your paper with the presentation. You have two opportunities to show the judges how cool you are.

-A chairman's team is a model team in all aspects of FIRST.

-You also have an executive summary/essay. This is a third place to show them how cool you are. Information should be related in each piece

-Some teams (my old team included) will pick a theme for their paper. Examples would be a robot analogy (mentors are like the wheels, etc) or a puzzle (all these pieces fit together). This makes it easier to integrate your paper and your presentation.

-Have Fun

-Its not just what you do, but why its important. Don't just tell them "We showed our robot to middle schoolers", also tell them "This got the students excited in a time when many lose interest in STEM. It also is a recruitment tool to help sustain our team."

If you need any help, PM me. I'm willing to help edit team's papers, but I'm warning that I'm a pretty harsh editor. If you would like to see the winning paper that I helped write, I'm willing to share.
Team Neutrino
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
AKA: Andrew Shumaker
FRC #2137 (TORC)

Rookie Year: 2009
Shu2137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the help!!! So far things seem to be going to together very well and we are excited to present on all of the effort our teams puts in. We have definitely seen how it can be rewarding to just put together a Chairman's submission. I have been thrilled to see our team get so much excitement from this by looking back and seeing the effects of what we have done the past few years.

If anything it has served as a great reflective tool to see how we can improve even more in the future.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
3574 Alumni-Wiring & Awards Mentor
AKA: Karina Adame
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
moonlight will become famous soon enoughmoonlight will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Chairmans Award tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisk View Post
The video is important in the sense that if you don't have one, you most likely will not be allowed to do the Chairman's interview at the regional and not be eligible for the regional Chairman's Award.

On the other hand, as Cynette and Carol have both said, the written submission and interview have the greatest impact with the judges during consideration for the award and the video of the Chairman's Award receipient is reviewed for a potential showing at the regional.

Remember to pay attention to copyright rules while creating your video, especially when considering video and music included in the video. Look for music that can be freely used without copyright violation.
So.... the video is not due 'til presentation day at the competition? for some reason i thought it was due on February 16 as well as the submission... can someone please clarify this to me?
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

moonlight will become famous soon enoughmoonlight will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_UPS View Post
Chairman's in a nutshell:
-Focus only on the last two years of efforts (you can mention longevity of projects)

-Remember that you have a presentation and a paper. The presentation should not be a summary of the paper. Expand on what you said in your paper with the presentation. You have two opportunities to show the judges how cool you are.

-A chairman's team is a model team in all aspects of FIRST.

-You also have an executive summary/essay. This is a third place to show them how cool you are. Information should be related in each piece

-Some teams (my old team included) will pick a theme for their paper. Examples would be a robot analogy (mentors are like the wheels, etc) or a puzzle (all these pieces fit together). This makes it easier to integrate your paper and your presentation.

-Have Fun

-Its not just what you do, but why its important. Don't just tell them "We showed our robot to middle schoolers", also tell them "This got the students excited in a time when many lose interest in STEM. It also is a recruitment tool to help sustain our team."

If you need any help, PM me. I'm willing to help edit team's papers, but I'm warning that I'm a pretty harsh editor. If you would like to see the winning paper that I helped write, I'm willing to share.
Hello Katie_UPS i was wondering if you could email me a copy of the paper you are talking about? my team is going after the chairman's award this year. This is our second year as a team and we know how big this is and that it requires a lot of work, bet we believe we have potencial... we just need alittle help.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightstereo View Post
Does anyone know the due date for this year's chairman's award?? We can't find it on the FIRST site! Dx also a handbook or something of the sort would be very helpful, we're slacking...
The chairman's award must be submitted on February 16 at noon Eastern time. You can find the Chairman's award criteria in the FIRST website... i don't know when is the video due though :S i'm hopping someone will help me out with that part
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

If I could only recommend three things to teams I would recommend the following:

1) Have your presenters talk to some people that have been on the team for years. We talked to Al on the way to Atlanta and it was great, knowing where the team came from really helped us know the spirit and history of WildStang and really made answering questions easier, allowing us to get through more questions in the interview process. It also allowed us to share with the rest of the team where we came from.

2) Just applying is an achievement. You have come far enough to fill out something in every category and that's awesome. Congrats to you, always be proud. Applying for the Chairman's Award isn't just a product of the "Chairman's team", it's a reflection of every person who has ever been on the team, after all, the team wouldn't exist without it's members.

3) Be yourselves. Don't spend time trying to be just like team so and so who won in year whatever. Every team has something unique to bring to the table, show your uniqueness. If your team is quirky and fun then apply a theme to your essay, if you are a business then make it more business like.

-Kelli

Also... on the video side, remember that if you win this will be the video that is played when you guys are introduced. Wow the audience with something that is quality. If you want help let me know, I can read essays or review your videos.
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
FRC #1868 (1868)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to beholdMc Kenna is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Mc Kenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
The chairman's award must be submitted on February 16 at noon Eastern time. You can find the Chairman's award criteria in the FIRST website... i don't know when is the video due though :S i'm hopping someone will help me out with that part
Like many others before me have said there is no "steps to follow to win chairmans" but there is a lot of great advice from a lot of mentors on here and in the white pages from quite a few people who this isn't their first rodeo, so do your research. Also reach out to the HOA teams who offer to help! We love to help people, and often people are shy to email us but don't be.

That said don't get to caught up in what made one team successful and try to emulate that. I mentor both 1868 and 254 for their awards and they both submit *very* different chairman's last year in the head to head at SVR 1868 won but both submissions were very strong for very different reasons. You need to find out what makes your team strong and tailor everything to that.

The other thing is chairmans is a process 254 didn't become a HOA team over night and 1868 is still working on getting there and there isn't anything wrong with that. What is important to show is improvement every year you should be doing "better" and be able to track and show that. Its a cool story 254 did 4,000 hour of community service last year, whats a really cool story is that of the 8,000 they did in the last 3 years 4,000 of it was last year and with more members this year that number should go up.

I couldn't agree more with Glen about capturing it being the most difficult part. You cannot leave it till the end or you simply will not have the footage you need to create that awesome clip.

That said, at the RCA level the vid is more of a tie breaker than anything else but there needs to be a tie first, where as at the national level with so many teams who should be in the HOA it really can come down to the tiny things.

You will submit the vid at the regional you are presenting to but I cannot stress enough don't leave this to the end!

Also if any one would like my thoughts on their awards submissions I'm always happy to take a look and offer my thoughts so feel free to PM me.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: