OCCRA
Go to Post ...next years game will hopefully make my head hurt, this years did. - MikeL303 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: Simple Motor Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlarson12 View Post
WOW!!! How did you do this? I have been looking for a graph of the information so I could get the general values, but this is far better!
If you assume that the speed vs torque and the current vs torque "curves" are straight lines (which is the standard assumption for almost all the motors used in FRC), then most of the equations are fairly straightforward to solve explicitly.

For example, at the rated voltage and for a given torque tau, you can find the speed as follows:

speed = free_speed*(1-tau/stall_tau)

some of the other calculations, for example solving for efficiency or finding voltage when given rpm and torque, are a bit trickier, but not too bad.

I'm glad you discovered it and hope you find it helpful.

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Principal Engineer
AKA: Keith Buchanan
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
wireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to wireties

Ether == Awesome - any chance you'll part with the source so I can compile a Linux version?

TIA
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:31 PM
no team

Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireties View Post
Ether == Awesome - any chance you'll part with the source so I can compile a Linux version?
It would be good to have a Linux version.

I'll pull out the formulas and post them.

Give me a couple of days.

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Principal Engineer

wireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post

If it was a windows console app, it will probably just compile and run quickly with minor changes. You can send the source if you want.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
no team

Quote:

Here ya go.

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Principal Engineer

Quote:
Here ya go.
I'm a busy guy - no time soon to re-write the program, not with work for 3 customers in process and being in the middle of build season. I apologize if I was not clear. I was offering to take your source and re-compile to create a Linux executable. No disrespect intended but I don't need the formulas ;o). I'm an EE and have been designing opto-mechatronic embedded control systems for 30 years - I know the formulas.

Thanks anyways.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireties View Post
No disrespect intended but I don't need the formulas ;o)
Of course. I thought you were after some of the more arcane calculations, like solving for operating range given operating volts and desired minimum efficiency*. I've never seen that published anywhere.

Anyway, unless you have an old copy of Kylix the source wouldn't serve the purpose intended.

Oh well, the equations are out there for anyone who might be interested.

*it's not as useful as other calculations, I know, but I included it because it's interesting to play around with and may provide some insight

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Principal Engineer

Quote:
Anyway, unless you have an old copy of Kylix the source wouldn't serve the purpose intended.
Well, it just so happens that I do ... BTW, FIRST Team 1296 very much appreciates all the great advice you regularly disperse on CD!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
no team

There have been a number of occasions recently where I wanted to calculate a motor's applied voltage given rpm and amps. To make this more convenient I added another option to the motor calculator.

I have also changed the display to show waste heat watts instead of input watts, since that seems to be of somewhat more interest. Input watts is easily calculated by adding output watts and waste watts.

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
no team

Quote:
Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Simple Motor Calculator by Ether
New version just uploaded. Includes VEX MiniCIM and BAG motors.

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
no team

Quote:
Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Simple Motor Calculator by Ether
Motor Calculator has just been updated to include the now-legal Banebots M5-RS555-12 motor.

The new version (MCALC_2013b) is at the bottom of the list of attachments.

#27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
no team

Motor Calculator has just been updated to include all 2014 motors. Sorry for the delay. Better late than never :-)

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2432

#28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM
no team

Motor Calculator has just been updated to include am-2161 & am-2194 motors (for am-0914, 2193, & 0915 gearmotors)

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2432

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Principal Engineer

Thanks again Ether!! You would not believe how much we use this utility.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Curiosity | I have too much of it!
AKA: Devyash Lodha
FRC #1165 (Team Paradise)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
yash101 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to yash101
Cool Re: paper: Simple Motor Calculator

THAT IS SWEET AND USEFUL
                \ \ \/\ \     __   __  __   __  __     __      ____\ \ \___