OCCRA
Go to Post Another human taking a job that a robot could do... - Ryan Simpson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute
paper: Heroes of Tomorrow - 2012 Tech Notes

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Heroes of Tomorrow - 2012 Tech Notes by Adam Freeman

EDIT: Huh...this is interesting. I didn't think I opened a thread to start a discussion about the document. I was planning on posting a picture of the finished robot and linking to the document....but, I guess there will be pictures posted by Daniel Ernst from Waterford soon.

Couple of quick specs about the robot:

- Standard sheet metal chassis.
- 8WD - Supershifters. Window motor shifter.
- Fixed angle (45 degrees), non turreted shooter.
- Dual AM 9015 motors, custom 2.5:1 gearbox (~8000RPm).
- Utility Arm: For ball grabbing, loading, barrier traversal, and ramp balancing
- Double roller on top and bottom grab bar for game piece collection. Powered by (2) RS550 motors.
- Rear pivot and (2) RS550 motors, with huge amount (~760:1) reduction for arm movement.
- Camera Aim.

Last edited by Adam Freeman : 03-11-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Adding info to post.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: Heroes of Tomorrow - 2012 Tech Notes

Adam,

Thanks for posting this... this is an incredible insight into the process that led to one of the most creative designs I've seen yet this season. I don't think I would ever have ended up going this direction with my design, but yet once I saw your robot in action it was clear it was elegant and perfectly suited for the unique design challenges of this year's game. Congrats on your Waterford win, and another great machine!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Waegelin View Post
Adam,

Thanks for posting this... this is an incredible insight into the process that led to one of the most creative designs I've seen yet this season. I don't think I would ever have ended up going this direction with my design, but yet once I saw your robot in action it was clear it was elegant and perfectly suited for the unique design challenges of this year's game. Congrats on your Waterford win, and another great machine!
Thanks! That's funny...JVN told me almost the exact same thing. I guess all you Robowranglers think a like.

All the credit goes to our Chief Engineer, Jim Meyer. He knew immediately the need for a balancing aid. Combine that with the task to try to limit un-needed complexity and have robust components with more than one function, the robot just kinda took shape from there.

I kept saying that designing this arm is more like designing a tractor accessory than a FIRST robot component. It's definitely build to take some abuse.

The paper was inspired by 148, since you guys have done so much in the way of documenting your design process and build season. We once again attempted to have build season blog, but it ended up incomplete....(kinda stopped once the practice bot started running).

Anyway, I figured something should be put out there to document the process that went into this creation...especially since it appears to be a somewhat unique design.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post
*snip*
Anyway, I figured something should be put out there to document the process that went into this creation...especially since it appears to be a somewhat unique design.
Adam, thank you for posting this.

Interestingly enough, after some friends and I saw a picture of your robot from Waterford and saw videos of it running we all kind of said 'How the hell do you come up with that.' Looks like our questions have been answered.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
10 Years of Thunder!
AKA: Mentor and Volunteer
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Josh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond repute

This is how you build a robot.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Excellence is Bliss
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
AlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that many teams out there are kicking themselves right now for not thinking of this.

This is possibly the greatest creation I've seen yet this season. Hats off to 67, your team is always setting the bar high. I only wish we were able to play with you guys. Maybe at the championship?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
VEXpro Engineer
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to issue my thanks for posting this, phenomenal integration and execution.

VEX Robotics Mechanical Engineer

1625 (2005-2011)
3928 (2012-2013)
148 (2013-?)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM
AKA: Ryan Legato
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
Legator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Legator91

Sadly I wasn't able to make it to the competition this weekend, but I was watching video, or checking TBA all weekend to get updates.

I have to say the robot this year looks amazing Adam. You guys did a great job in design, and fabrication. All of us HOT alumni at Michigan tech were wondering just how everything worked on the bot this year, and the tech notes definitely explained it all.

Also, reading that brought back some great memories from my 2009/2010 build seasons at GM. I can definitely say the way we did stuff at HOT greatly reflects the engineering design process I am learning about in school.

Great job this weekend, and good luck for the rest of the season!
2009 Michigan State Champs
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Mentor
AKA: Clint Ott
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Drivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura about

Very interesting read. I always enjoy looking into other teams approach to the design process. Thank you for posting this and congratulations on another great robot and a good win at Waterford!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
AKA: Kyle Barie
no team (HOT Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
klbarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator91 View Post
Sadly I wasn't able to make it to the competition this weekend, but I was watching video, or checking TBA all weekend to get updates.

I have to say the robot this year looks amazing Adam. You guys did a great job in design, and fabrication. All of us HOT alumni at Michigan tech were wondering just how everything worked on the bot this year, and the tech notes definitely explained it all.

Also, reading that brought back some great memories from my 2009/2010 build seasons at GM. I can definitely say the way we did stuff at HOT greatly reflects the engineering design process I am learning about in school.

Great job this weekend, and good luck for the rest of the season!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

2009 - 2010: Team 67-The HOT Team-Student
2011: Team 3771-The Yooper Troopers-Mentor
2012: Team 4363-The Unbolted Puppeteers-Mentor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: