OCCRA
Go to Post just thinking about the array of mechanisms awaiting my examination tingles the thinky parts of my brain. - Tytus Gerrish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM
VEXpro Engineer
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 3928 Swerve Module

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley
Re: pic: 3928 Swerve Module

Aren and Co. over on the Neutrinos have cooked up a swerve module unlike any FIRST has seen before.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" pretty much sums this up for me. They thought "How else could you make a swerve module lighter and smaller?" and this is what came of it.

I've been excited about this thing for a long time and am very pleased to see it successfully constructed. Extremely elegant design.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Wow. I hope you guys make it to championships so I can see this in person. Do you have any shots from other angles? I can't see where you put the drive motor, but I assume it's on the other side of the wheel?

Incredible design.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Riding my 6'3" Channel Islands Fish
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this looks amazing! I like the belt tensioning system. A few quick questions:
  • How do you drive the wheel? It is somehow coaxial, or driven by a motor that rotates with the wheel?
  • What type of bearring did you use for the wheel steering?
  • What diameter is the wheel?

Also, I know Aren_Hill famously said that a swerve drive should be built on the offseason and then given a year to sit before putting it on a competition robot. (I'm sorry, I can't find the quote right now.) What lead you to decide that a swerve was needed to be competitive, despite the fact your rookie team had never done one?

-Plutarch
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttyman54 View Post
Wow. I hope you guys make it to championships so I can see this in person. Do you have any shots from other angles? I can't see where you put the drive motor, but I assume it's on the other side of the wheel?

Incredible design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
Wow, this looks amazing! I like the belt tensioning system. A few quick questions:
  • How do you drive the wheel? It is somehow coaxial, or driven by a motor that rotates with the wheel?
  • What type of bearring did you use for the wheel steering?
  • What diameter is the wheel?

Also, I know Aren_Hill famously said that a swerve drive should be built on the offseason and then given a year to sit before putting it on a competition robot. (I'm sorry, I can't find the quote right now.) What lead you to decide that a swerve was needed to be competitive, despite the fact your rookie team had never done one?

Both of you look closely at the module and you will see how it is driven.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Team 2410
AKA: Alex Guinn
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
W1NG$ is an unknown quantity at this point

driven with internal motor in the center of the wheel? and what did you choose for the drive motor. looks great guys! but diet mtn dew.......really?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Lead Design Mentor
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Rookie Year: 2008
James Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond reputeJames Tonthat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to James Tonthat

Wow, it's out in the wild. I'm proud to have seen one of the original concepts and have told you that you were crazy, still think you're crazy.

Great execution, and good luck!

Mechanical Engineer, Rack Solutions, a subsidiary of Innovation First International

Lead Engineer - Texas Torque - 2009-Current

james@texastorque.org

HashtagTeamCopioli
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
Both of you look closely at the module and you will see how it is driven.

-Brando
I see it now...that's a CIM. WOW just..wow

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

When Aren started talking about this concept, I was convinced it was a joke. That any team - let alone a rookie team - actually built a swerve drive with a CIM motor as an axle absolutely blows my mind.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Sunny
FRC #5283

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttyman54 View Post
I see it now...that's a CIM. WOW just..wow
It's like one of images that's usually captioned, "When you see it...".

Holy crap this is amazing. Can't wait to see some shots from other angles.

- Sunny G.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Until I found out there was a CIM in the middle of the wheel, I was thinking that Aren and company had somehow managed to make a single motor do both the rotation of the wheel and the rotation of the module, and was trying to figure out how that worked.

Next year, maybe...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

What is the weight of the assembled module as shown?
How do the modules attach to the chassis?
What is the maximum allowable horizontal rotation, and how do you keep the CIM motor wires safe and secure?
I'm having trouble envisioning the other side of the module. Do you have a pic handy that shows the "back"?

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

What's cool is that Aren's students were the ones who really wanted to pull off the swerve. We knew Aren was crazy before he even proposed the design, but now there's a whole team of crazies! Glad it's finally out in public. I hope people finally understand the Aren Hill drillbit meme on Facebook haha.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 03-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

CD to IKE: "You cannot give credit to the same post twice."
IKE to CD: "If a 3928 can pull off a swerve module like that, then they deserve double credit."

Bravo to 3928.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

Aren,

I am usually not a very big swerve drive fan, but this is awesome!

Very inspiring!

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: