OCCRA
Go to Post Not every team can start 200 teams in Canada or Hawaii because they are located in relatively dense region of teams already. This doesn't mean they can't impact their local and surrounding areas. This is where you have to be creative. - tim-tim [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Reasons we Continue to be in FIRST

I get to see my sons...they're mentoring other teams now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nerdsalumni.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	12416  
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Because of the community

Because of the opportunities

Because of the future

Because of the culture changing

Because of the competition

Because of the fun

Because of the experience

Because of the challenges

Because of the maturity it brings

Because of the family it makes

Because of the learning

Because of the chance to change someone's life

Because of the chance to change the world

This list could go on for 3, maybe 4 pages, and this is only my second year.

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:55 AM
AKA: Erik Edhlund
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

ErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ErikEdhlund

I continue to be in FIRST cause I love the people that I meet. In the past 7 years on being with WildStang (4yrs as a student and 3 as a mentor), I have always loved meeting new people and being able to help guide the team to more success.

"Raul... Your Pathetic."
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:20 AM
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0973 (Greybots)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

If you can see in my signature, there is a quote I had made up a few weeks ago. That's why I am in FIRST up to the present.

Quote:
"While I was a student in FIRST, it was all about becoming inspired. Now as a mentor/engineering student, it's all about making sure learn everything I can so I can carry that on inspiration for future generations while having a hell of a lot of fun!"
"While I was a student in FIRST, it was all about becoming inspired. Now as a mentor/engineering student, it's all about making sure learn everything I can so I can carry that on inspiration for future generations while having a hell of a lot of fun!"
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
With Upmost Efficiency
AKA: Eric DelSanto
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pioneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
delsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to delsaner

-I continue to be in FIRST because I feel obligated to give back to the program that has given me so much.

-I continue to be in FIRST because I love to see the different ways each team solves the same problem.

-I continue to be in FIRST because of how much you can learn, even once you graduate from high-school.

-I continue to be in FIRST because it provides the opportunity to teach the youth about STEM.

-I continue to be in FIRST because it makes me happy, even during the saddest of days.

-I continue to be in FIRST because of the great friends that I have made over the years.

-I continue to be in FIRST because robots are awesome.

Eric DelSanto
H.E.R.E. Representative
Stevens Institute of Technology - Class of 2016 - BE/ME Mechanical Engineering
Concentration: Robotics, Mechatronics

[2008-2014]: FRC 1676 - The Pascack Pi-oneers
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
FIRST VISTA
AKA: Kelli
FRC #1802 (Stealth)

Rookie Year: 2005
treffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud of

I continue to be in FIRST because I strive to inspire the kids to pursue their dreams.

I continue in FIRST because it has inspired me.

Current VISTA for Hampton Roads
Alumna of FRC Team 1802
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

To take a quote I made on Facebook a few weeks ago about the financial sacrifices volunteers make on behalf of serving FIRST: "
It's no big deal really. I chose to do this so I don't mind making a little financial sacrifice. I always thought the definition of volunteering was to give selflessly of oneself without any expectation of reward or reimbursement. I prefer using my vacation time doing FIRST. The people I see at the events aren't just my friends -they're family. I just love being around them. And even though I always looked pissed off and I don't like dancing I always have the time of my life at the event all the time. Even when I'm barking at the kids because they don't do what I ask them to I still love them all. Not just the X-Cat kids. Or the Rolling Thunder kids. Or the G.R.R. kids. Or the Sparx Kids or the Rochester FIRST kids but all of them. They're all my kids and I want to see the best from them and for them so I would sacrifice a hundred time more of myself for their sake. I know of hundred of other mentors just like us who would gladly do the same because we know if we didn't stand up for them then who would?
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
FRC #0997 (CHS Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
tsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond repute

Continue? You mean we can quit? Why didn't someone say so!

Seriously, FIRST does seem to take a huge amount of time and energy. I would be out of here tomorrow if it weren't for the students. They are just so darn deserving and appreciative. What's up with that?
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Big new things, with some purple.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

I continue to be in FIRST to insprie and be inspired.

-Nick
(2012-???): Member, VEXU NAR, North American Robotics
(2014-???): Mentor, CyberTooth

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
FRC #1468 (J-Birds)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond reputeMatt C has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt C

Because I'm crazy.

... but that's a good thing.

Last edited by Matt C : 03-26-2012 at 09:25 AM.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Future Wayne State Engineer
AKA: Sarah Root
FRC #0280 (TnT 280)

Rookie Year: 2010
Ducky280 is a jewel in the roughDucky280 is a jewel in the roughDucky280 is a jewel in the roughDucky280 is a jewel in the rough

I continue to be in FIRST because it inspires me to push myself beyond my limits. Through FIRST I realized I am capable of doing so much more which inspired me to go to college for engineering. I never realized that I had that much potential. FIRST also helped me build my confidence and help me grow as a person. I get to meet new people and learn new things everyday and I cant ask for more because I feel like the sky's the limit right now
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
#0599 (Robo-Dox)

Mr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond repute

I coach Competitive Educational Robotics (VEX & FRC) and I teach for one very good reason:

I can't think of anything better to do.

- Mr. Van
Coach, Robodox
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Electrical Mentor for Team 701
FRC #0701 (RoboVikes)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2007
Steven Sigley is a name known to allSteven Sigley is a name known to allSteven Sigley is a name known to allSteven Sigley is a name known to allSteven Sigley is a name known to allSteven Sigley is a name known to all

I went from student to mentor of team 701. I stay in FIRST to have the opportunity to watch each year of students give back to the younger students and the way everyone teaches each other on our team. Our team hasn't won a regional or chairman's, but each year we get closer and closer, and it feels like we're right on the cusp of it.

I never feel like our team has taken a step backwards. And to me, that's amazing.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

Because FIRST is like a highly addictive drug and I can't wait to get my fix during every day of build and competition season.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
... more like a temperate breeze
AKA: Chris Gregory
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2003
galewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to galewind

As a new father, I have honestly been toying with the idea of leaving FIRST, if only temporarily, so that I can focus more time on my family. It has been emotionally draining, me not being able to see our son for a four-day stretch, and even more challenging for my wife to handle him with little to no help. I know I am missing pivotal moments in his development, and I long for the chance to just be with him.

I am the only faculty member involved in our FIRST program, and thus, I am required to be at whatever events the team wants to participate in that are "school-sponsored" activities.

I have given my students a half-hearted ultimatum that if they value this program, that it be their charge to find additional help for me amongst the school faculty that can alleviate part of my burden so that I can spend time with my family. So far, I have yet to hear anything of their efforts, and it saddens me to think that I may have to let go.

Now, I say that my ultimatum is half-hearted, because I know the value of this program, and I have witnessed the benefits that the students receive. I don't think I am able to walk away from this team, but I cannot continue to work in this capacity for much longer. It would be irresponsible to my family and to my team (because my heart wouldn't really be into it as I would be constantly missing my family). But for now, I am still here...and I know that my situation is not unique.

So the question becomes -- why did I post it in this thread? And the answer leads us back to the original question -- "Why do we continue to participate in FIRST?"

I am a teacher. I see my job as a facilitator of independent learning, meaning it is my job to make you think, and to help you learn HOW to learn.
FIRST does this and more. It removes creative boundaries, and removes standardized scoring rubrics. It expands the capacity of an individual to think outside of the box. It promotes teamwork, and allows students to develop their own projects in which they work with their peers. It allows you to appreciate the accomplishments of others without jealousy, but with admiration. I could continue this paragraph for another 20 lines, but the jist of it is -- Once you are exposed to FIRST, it is hard to turn your back on it, because you know that your students are benefitting in more ways than any other program could ever offer.

So for me, considering leaving FIRST has been the most heart-wrenching and draining situation I've ever had to deal with. I've spent 10 years of my life helping to build a program that I'm exceptionally proud of, but I cannot continue to work in this capacity alone. I hope that we have the chance to continue our team in the future, and inspire another teacher (or two or three!) to become integrated into our fold.

Sorry for venting, but it's been one of these huge "on-my-minds" that I wanted to get out verbally for a while.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: