Go to Post It is one thing to be a great designer, it is another thing to be able to explain what you did, how things work, and why things happen. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54
Re: [Bill's Blog] The Biggest and Best Championship Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
Why does FIRST need money to bring extra volunteers? Wait, have I been missing my per diem? Where's my check? [Please excuse that, what I mean to say is that volunteers mostly pay their own way (sometimes quite a lot). Very few people in the first umbrella get any money, though of course they are important people.]
FIRST provides food for volunteers, as well as shirts and passes to the finale, so there is a monetary cost to FIRST for increasing the number of volunteers even though we aren't paid.

I think Michael's point may have been in terms of the cost of the extra AV equipment, loading personnel, etc that aren't volunteers but are hired by FIRST to run things at Championships, however.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

If you think it's difficult to hear team introductions and play-by-play in the dome now, just imagine what a mess it would be for 8 announcers. Also imagine the increase in traffic - doubling the number of robots in motion at any one time.

I love the idea of more matches so less luck is involved in the picking. They've got some hurdles to overcome to do it.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Wow. 400 teams, 9 qualification matches, and (this is just what I heard from a mentor) they're opening up at 3:00 on Wednesday, from which we CAN WORK ON the robot until 8:30 while simultaneously setting up pit structures, then qualifications start at 1:00 on Thursday. That sounds...odd, but I'm not sure quite how that works out. Either way, I'm excited. Can't wait to go to my second World Champs (Definitely going to break out the 2010 Atlanta jacket when I go.) PM me if you want to t-shirt trade!

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
FRC #1640 (Sab-BOT-age)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttyman54 View Post
FIRST provides food for volunteers, as well as shirts and passes to the finale, so there is a monetary cost to FIRST for increasing the number of volunteers even though we aren't paid.

I think Michael's point may have been in terms of the cost of the extra AV equipment, loading personnel, etc that aren't volunteers but are hired by FIRST to run things at Championships, however.
And I appreciate everything FIRST gives us. However, having both read their financial statements and struggled through the event volunteer shortage, I'm fairly confident saying a good part of the manpower issue is in volunteer bodies rather than complimentary supplies. I do agree about the A/V issue, as both myself and Phil mentioned. But you are correct, I had not meant to sell short FIRST's volunteer support, only clarify that money is not the (only) limiting factor to "bringing those extra people".

2014: Reffing Clifton, Bridgewater, NYC; Inspecting Bridgewater. Coaching HH, Lenape, MAR Champs. Pit Lead & Design Mentor.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTran View Post
Wow. 400 teams, 9 qualification matches, and (this is just what I heard from a mentor) they're opening up at 3:00 on Wednesday, from which we CAN WORK ON the robot until 8:30 while simultaneously setting up pit structures, then qualifications start at 1:00 on Thursday. That sounds...odd, but I'm not sure quite how that works out. Either way, I'm excited. Can't wait to go to my second World Champs (Definitely going to break out the 2010 Atlanta jacket when I go.) PM me if you want to t-shirt trade!
I believe they're opening at 4:00, can anyone confirm?

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
I believe they're opening at 4:00, can anyone confirm?
You are indeed correct and I am wrong. Good call on catching that. The pits do open at 4 to five team reps. The qualification matches, as well, do start at 1:00 on Thursday. The rest of the schedule people can look at.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
[Mass x Acceleration] be with you!
AKA: Princess Leia
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

Oh my goodness!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my last year as a student and I am extremely happy about the championship! I cant wait until St Louis and I cant wait to go back next year to Volunteer and the year after and so on!!!!!! This year is so amazing! Thank goodness for FIRST!!!

FLL
FTC
FRC

"May the [mass x acceleration] be with you"
"Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?"

Alumni of Team 79 Krunch.

Last edited by torihoelscher : 04-05-2012 at 09:40 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
And I appreciate everything FIRST gives us. However, having both read their financial statements and struggled through the event volunteer shortage, I'm fairly confident saying a good part of the manpower issue is in volunteer bodies rather than complimentary supplies. I do agree about the A/V issue, as both myself and Phil mentioned. But you are correct, I had not meant to sell short FIRST's volunteer support, only clarify that money is not the (only) limiting factor to "bringing those extra people".
Can we just enjoy the moment?

I was excited to click on the thread and find out the 2012 plans so far... and I found that we are already picking things apart.

Sorry, just not in the mood to be nitpicky tonight.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:27 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Can we just enjoy the moment?

I was excited to click on the thread and find out the 2012 plans so far... and I found that we are already picking things apart.

Sorry, just not in the mood to be nitpicky tonight.
Jane
This.

There are two threads currently going to discuss potential ways to change championships (including people throwing around ideas of increasing the number of divisions). Can't we keep all that riff raff in those threads? I'm with Jane--let's use this thread to celebrate and get excited for this year's event and not spend our time worrying about next year!

I won't be able to attend this year and wasn't at the event last year, but I'm glad that they moved the fields out of the pits. I know many were upset about that last year and it was a bit of a hassle, so I'm glad FIRST listened to those concerns.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is raving about having nearly 100 teams per division. I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I'm not so sure that many teams is a good thing.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Sunny
no team

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone been able to locate a map/layout for the pits/stadium?

- Sunny G.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

Pity us poor Robot Inspectors. You usually have 5-6 inspectors per division. That's 17-20 robots per person
Please be patient when you want your robot inspected. We will get to at our earliest inconvience

Also, what is the load in like? This will be FRC Team 1501's first Championship since 2007.
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3248 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist FRC Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

Last edited by Wayne Doenges : 04-06-2012 at 05:42 AM.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne,
It has been a long time since you were at Champs. We are expecting a lot more inspectors to handle the load, get everyone inspected and be ready for matches starting on Thursday afternoon. The number will more like 15 per division plus a few more if I can get them. This includes Inspection Pit Managers to handle weigh and size, the inspection paperwork, and assigning inspectors. We move staff as we see a need to get everyone inspected on time. We also plan to have inspectors regularly checking in at the fields to answer questions and support Refs and FTAs. Inspectors will be working hard to get B&T checks done as soon as possible after you open your crate and will remain until the pits close each day. LRIs from regional events are asked to wear their black vests and most everyone will be wearing the bright green hats so you can recognize them from afar.

Please note: This is the big show! There will be the most experienced inspectors checking over your robots at this event. I am sorry if something was missed at your regional, it will be checked at this event. If it is not compliant, it will need to be made legal. We will advise you on changes that will need to be made. Look over my inspection thread here on CD and be sure that your bumpers are in order, you have only legal motors, pneumatics and batteries, and your robot has an electrically isolated frame. This year nearly half of all robots failed some portion of the bumper rule. Your bumper segments must be a minimum of 8" long (measured at backing i.e. the 3/4" plywood), fully backed by robot frame, have no hard parts in the corners, must have your team number in only four locations (approx 90 degrees apart), may not be split across bumper segments and must be white or outlined in white. Please review all the bumper rules (4.1.6 Bumper Rules) and check the accompanying figures in the rule book. As of this writing, Rev C of the Inspection Checklist is still the valid document and this will be used at Champs.
www.wildstang.org

Last edited by Al Skierkiewicz : 04-06-2012 at 08:02 AM.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
AKA: Erich Zende
FRC #1319 (Flash)

Rookie Year: 1999
Zflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud ofZflash has much to be proud of

5 people are allowed in to unpack the robot, get inspected and setup the pit station (no practice field).

Potential Scenario:
Pits open at 4:00 5 people enter without the pit and supplies only what is needed to uncrate and work on the robot. This is because they are waiting in a long line of people wanting to get in. They recieve a call at 5:30 (or later) saying that their trailer is at the load in area and to come out and get their stuff. This allows 5 people to be more productive over a longer period of time and focus on getting robot changes made and inspected. Otherwise they would have to wait to begin work until they can enter with all of the supplies and pit.

Never attending St. Louis how long does it take to get everyone loaded in? And are the 5 team reps allowed to enter leave and re-enter?
Boilermaker '06 Champion Thanks 1272 & 85

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: