OCCRA
Go to Post As you get more into your years in FRC, you start becoming friends with more people. You should try it out. Robotics people are pretty nice. - Andrew Lawrence [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's your day job?

I program submarines for a living (for the past 6 years). It's a 27-million-SLOC system that has had a lifecycle of 20 years with 1000's of developers and multiple companies. We typically have to develop software technology "before it's time", like multi-casting in the 90's, real-time storage of terrabytes of data in the early 2000's, real-time on-demand audio, integration of Fortran, C, C++, and Java into 1 product, etc. There are literally 10's of thousands of sensors that are integrated into the final product, and literally no single company seems to want things to work the same as the other companies. It's both a nightmare and a joy at the same time.

Day by day, I generally solve the hard cross-platform problems. While I've moved away from pure development, I've found a comfortable niche in the government's initiatives to extend the life cycles of legacy systems by transplanting features and functions into areas they weren't originally designed for.

When I get to the robot during build season, I don't want to see a single line of code.

Last edited by JesseK : 04-06-2012 at 09:03 AM.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #4991 (HORSEpower)

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Day job: Treasury Management Consulting Analyst for a super-regional bank.

Night job: Financial Engineer. I write quantitative algo's that are designed to predict market trends, and profit off them. Not for the feint of heart, it has a fair amount of applied math, requires lots of skills that FRC is only the tip of the iceberg for. I'm looking make this a full time job if I can find one (they are not easy to find)!
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

I'm a digital systems and software design engineer for a high voltage electronics company. I get to design digital controllers and software to run a variety of fun toys, from telecommunications equipment to medical scanners. It's not many jobs that you have to worry about high voltage and radiation hazard if you push the wrong button

Matt

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I like my hammer...
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Melissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Melissa Nute

I am in charge of all quality for a privately owned start up manufacturing company. I maintain our quality standards, train the manufacturing employees, maintain our UL requirements, and process & investigate customer claims for our product. I also maintain the matches for over 1,000 different colors on various manufacturing lines. I do get some engineering projects on occasion - currently working on a vision system & just set-up our in-line color eye.

Earlier in my career, I was a mechanical project engineer for a ceiling tile plant.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

I . . . am . . . Batman!

Er, uh, ahh, wait, you said "what is your DAY job?"

I build robots. That go to other planets.

Formal title is "Program Executive for Solar System Exploration" for NASA. I have no idea what that actually means or what I am really supposed to be doing, since it seems to change on pretty much a daily basis. But it keeps me employed and I get to play with some really, really cool hardware.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Formal title is "Program Executive for Solar System Exploration" for NASA. I have no idea what that actually means or what I am really supposed to be doing,
It's no big deal, really.

When I describe your job to others based on my understanding of what you do, I say, "He's in charge of space."

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

I am a teacher of robotics at the middle school level currently. We cover many aspects of STEM education and the application of math and science concepts. This allows me to help students see the applicable situations of things that they learn in other classes (yes, even English).

This is a very rewarding job. Nothing beats seeing students come into my room, having no idea what a servo motor is, or how to program a robot, and seeing them succeed. It doesn't hurt that I get to participate in the VEX Robotics Competition and the FIRST competition.

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Theater Technician, which means I run all components to a 450 seat theater. I do lighting, sound, stage managing, set construction, and make sure nobody does anything stupid.

I also am a Video Technician for an arena, which is a fancy way of saying I run a jumbotron. I direct and run camera for various events including hockey and football.

Aside from my day jobs I freelance edit and coach youth cheer.

Huge thanks to FRC for teaching me that I don't want to be a scientist or engineer. Without a video team on Stang I wouldn't have realized how much I love film. Life is so much better when you do what you love rather than what others want you to do.
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bicycle Repairman
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:09 AM
FRC #3512

smclean1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Senior Project Engineer with the Aerospace Corporation and a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force Reserves. As a Lieutenant Colonel, I work at the Joint Space Operations Center which provides space situational awareness and command and control for our country. This Air Force commercial is actually filmed at the operations center and everyone in there is a member of the Air Force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAHw1kTpvY

A word of caution--it's not exactly like that. The commercial is as close to reality as R2D2 is to FIRST robotics competition--it would be cool to build an R2D2 for a competition though.

As an engineer for Aerospace Corporation, I'm working to modernize that operations center. Mostly it's a matter of designing and helping the government acquire the primary computer system that tracks the objects in space and provides that integrated command and control.

2011: Highest Rookie Seed and Rookie Inspiration Award Long Beach Competition
2012: Winner Los Angeles Regional -- w/ Team 987 and Team 1717
2013: Finalist Los Angeles Regional -- w/ Team 599 and Team 981; Excellence Excellence
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
AKA: Oliver Graff
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorn Attack)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
linuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to linuxboy

I am a student, however I feel that other students might find this post interesting / helpful.

I am a (paid) intern this summer (and have been for the past three summers) at an IT consulting firm. It is fairly small with < 10 full time employees. We do some programming, quite a bit of File Maker, and general tech support. It isn't exactly engineering, however it is solving problems, and it does have you work with all sorts of problems and issues. The experience has been quite valuable in terms of working with people, and solving problems (as I said), and has been somewhere that Gracious Professionalism certainly is necessary. Clients can be upset (I haven't run into too many of these), and as someone who does a lot of phone support for clients, and occasionally goes to client offices, maintaining a professional and personable attitude is quite important.

That's what I do at the moment.
- Oliver
2012 Java & Hardware Beta Test
FTAA - Where is Wolcott Offseason 2011 - Mayhem In Merrimack Offseason 2011
Scorekeeper - Bash at the Beach 2011 - River Rage 15
WPI Regional 2011 - FRC 3780 - Rookie All Star Winners - Safety Pins
Field Reset - CTR 2011 - Boston 2011
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

Rookie Year: 2003
David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory for 30 years.

Currently, I'm the Instrument Engineer, Investigation Scientist and Co-investigator for the Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD) on the Mars Science Laboratory. MSL is Dave Lavery's really big rover on it's way to Mars (thanks for the ride, Dave)!

In the past, I've worked other missions, including Deep Space One, with an ion engine, and the Magellan mission (radar mapping of Venus).

FIRST students get to experience a project life-cycle in a few months. Our projects can take years of development and operate in space even longer!
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Orange and Black
FRC #3476 (Code Orange) #3309 (Friarbots)

Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

I am a manufacturing engineering for Microvention. I focus on access products (microcatheters and etc.) used to help treat aneurysms.

I am in the process development group. So I get to help R&D with new products and figure out how to mass produce them. I also work with the FDA submission proving we can consistently build safe products.
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn from Team 359.
Former Electrical Engineer.
B.S. degree in EE, Master's in Business Administration, Secondary Certification in Math, Minor in Math
Waialua High School-Learning Center Coordinator, Co-Technology Cadre Coordinator, Team 359-Lead Teacher, Mentor and Coordinator, Afterschool Programs Grants Coordinator/Project Director. FRC and VEX Instructor. 18 years and counting.
Honolulu Country Club-Banquet Wait Help-limited part time. 22 years and counting.

2014 OZARK Mountain Brawl Champions, #1 seed.
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

#90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Linda Pickett
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)

Rookie Year: 2008
lpickett is a jewel in the roughlpickett is a jewel in the roughlpickett is a jewel in the rough

I am an electrician who was a quality inspector before that. I may not have engineering skills, but I was raised by a mechanic father and understand how to use tools. I try to support our team in whatever way I can. Sometimes, that is only providing meals and making sure areas are clean from debris so we have no safety issues. I also try to be there to cheer the students on when things get low and praise them when they do an excellent job. I am proud of our students both in bad times and good. They make my life a joy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: