OCCRA
Go to Post Many people read ChiefDelphi, not just members of FRC teams. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
AKA: Anna Sklenar
FRC #3182 (Athena's Warriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
ZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the rough
Re: FIRST Robotics Movie

This makes me want to squeal like the teenage girl I am.

In all seriousness, this could be incredible for FIRST! And it seems like director really gets FIRST too meaning it should be accurate. I love this....
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
FF - Peach Alliance
AKA: Adam Lowe
FRC #1002 (The CircuitRunners)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
iPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant futureiPenguin has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to iPenguin

Can you say camping out for a midnight release? I would love to see Bacall collaborate with Paul Lazarus on this, because who knows more about videos featuring robotics teams?

2012-Present: FTC #5875, GENIUS
2008-2012: FRC & FTC #1002, The CircuitRunners

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
~Benjamin Franklin
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

1717 an underdog team?

Last edited by davidthefat : 04-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Potential problem: is 1717 really an "underdog"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
1717 an underdog team?
In 2009/2010, when the book was being written, they were just starting to be noticed by the FRC community at large. The L.A. teams knew and feared respected them already.

Now, of course, calling them an "underdog" results in laughter from all over the country...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 2008
Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
At the same time I've been thinking that a FIRST team would be the perfect TV show. Every season would be a new game so there is no chance of getting repetitive year to year. The build season can easily be filmed in such a way to be condenced and elongated to fit into several action packed episodes. Also, the matches are short enough that full elimination rounds could be shown in an episode or broken into two. My baseline thought process is along the lines of American Chopper. Everyone knows that the build season is crazy intense when figuring out designs to the stress of being ever behind schedual to the emotion of regionals. If they made this I think discovery channel would have an absolute hit show that would push STEM awareness to the next level.
I wouldn't say American Chopper...more like Mythbusters meets Deadliest Catch. The latter, like FIRST, is seasons of only a few weeks, and follows multiple different boats (swap for multiple teams), and also does both Opies and King (so FRC and FTC). The Mythbusters mix is because there's pretty much no other show on television where people are given a problem and have to solve it. I'd love to see a show like this on Discovery, especially if they followed two or three very different powerhouses (like 67, 1114 and 118 (hey man, NASA needs evangelists too)) and then two or three rookies and two or three midrange teams (Fondy Fire and some of the Canadians come to mind). It would be a great show, because there's continuity between seasons, but not too much, there's both emotions and humor, there's the sciency stuff Mythbusters fans love and the competitive time constraints fans of competition shows will appreciate, and it's got GIANT ROBOTS.
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Like like like. I read it when it first came out; managed to get my copy signed at Champs by Adam Freeman (67), Karthik (1114) (Complete with words of wisdom!), and, of course, Amir Abo Shaeer (1717)

As stated before, it would be impossible to fake the build season, even more so 1717's if you read the book. There are plenty of spots that could be reshot, but for the most part, it wouldn't feel right. The way The New Cool describes competition, paired with experience of my own of being behind the glass, is simply incredible. You really connect with how Chase is driving, manuevering out of tight spots...

Anyways, I would totally camp out for a midnight session of this! Bring on the popcorn!

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
FRC #0842 (Falcon robotics 842)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
MariaCastro is a name known to allMariaCastro is a name known to allMariaCastro is a name known to allMariaCastro is a name known to allMariaCastro is a name known to allMariaCastro is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to MariaCastro
Smile Re: FIRST Robotics Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigakaiser View Post
It will be huge only if it has a huge audience. It needs to expand beyond the FIRST community and reach out to the everyday person. I hope all goes well with this
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Androo
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
Dr. Shocker is on a distinguished road

This looks really cool, but I hope they have the sense not to release it during the FIRST season, otherwise kids on the teams might be distracted from their duties.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Shocker View Post
This looks really cool, but I hope they have the sense not to release it during the FIRST season, otherwise kids on the teams might be distracted from their duties.
^I like this guy!

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
1 + 1 = 0 (in Z/2Z)
AKA: Andy D.
FRC #1482 (Bishop Grandin Ghosts)

lorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Special advance screening for all teams on Einstein after the competition at next year's CMP, and then release during IRI and include a showing as part of the entertainment there.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #1922 (Oz-Ram)
Team Role: Mentor

kstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kstl99

Anyone hear any rumors when they are hoping to have it done? I mean, if we all can build a robot in six weeks...
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
FIRST's Official Cuddler
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Electrical

LemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud of

Quote:
They should release it when the compitition season starts. People will go see it, say "Wow that was cool, we should look for competitions! Oh there is one in *anytown*? Lets go!"

On a seprit note, I hope no one has totaly scraped their Lunacy bots yet, they could get to be movie stars!

FIRST alumni in college: "I miss my team/robots/tools."
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
FRC #0857
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Christopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud ofChristopher149 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstl99 View Post
Anyone hear any rumors when they are hoping to have it done? I mean, if we all can build a robot in six weeks...
Does anyone know what happened with this film adaptation? It's been 2 years, and the internet does not seem forthcoming with any further news.

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2014, 06:51 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher149 View Post
Does anyone know what happened with this film adaptation? It's been 2 years, and the internet does not seem forthcoming with any further news.
I would assume that it's in development hell of some sorts. It's not the most easily-marketable concept, in my opinion.

Also, as mentioned in the article, the slated director (who seemed, based off the little quoting in the article) to be very interested in making the movie, directed 21 Jump Street and is directing the sequel.

FRC 125 [2013-Present]NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: