Go to Post Dean Kamen is my Shaquille O'niel (or any other generic sports star). - Daniel Brim [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB
Re: 2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

I loved this years game!

Bridges were a great endgame that most teams at your event could participate and we found creative ways to get those last few teams on the bridge at our last event which really made it an endgame that you just needed a drivebase for!

Real-time scoring was great!

Relaxed in game rules was nice along with real time penalties *although I wished they told you after the match quickly what penalties were called I saw several robots who kept committing the same foul in several matches I assume they never knew they were getting called for it.

The field test videos FIRST came out with was a great asset! Even after seeing the field at kickoff I learned some more after watching the videos and I'm sure that a lot of teams valued these quick vids! Hope to see more next year!

While I thought this year was going to be a year full of clone/similar robots I really saw a wide variety of robots ours was no exception!

Our team had a great two regionals this year. Our robot never had a mechanical issue so it was very relaxed as a team and the students enjoyed themselves after a long regional.

A lot was learned this year both good and bad but I for one was extremely with how the first half of 2012 went! 3467 learned a lot and our students are eager and preparing for 2013!!!

2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award and CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 + Silver Star Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely loved the amount of motors allowed to be used.

More Power uh uh uh uh...

I really liked learning the limits of the 120 Amp breaker. It was painful at the time, but it turns out it will in fact limit the amount that can be drawn.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
FRC #0533

jslokovitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

A big lesson learned; don't trust opposing alliances to hold to their word on the co-op bridge. We strategized in every match to balance and twice the opposing alliance left us on the bridge holding the bag. I think that the co-op points were too valuable in this game; your standings were left-up to the opposing alliance. Its a great idea, but I think the point system did not safeguard against the possible sabotage. It was a great experience one of the best games played!!!
We dont just build robots, we build character!
Slok
FIRST Team 533
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
FRC #0533

jslokovitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

A big lesson learned; don't trust opposing alliances to hold to their word on the co-op bridge. We strategized in every match to balance and twice the opposing alliance left us on the bridge holding the bag. I think that the co-op points were too valuable in this game; your standings were left-up to the opposing alliance. Its a great idea, but I think the point system did not safeguard against the possible sabotage. It was a great experience one of the best games played!!!
We dont just build robots, we build character!
Slok
FIRST Team 533
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
[Mass x Acceleration] be with you!
AKA: Princess Leia
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

I loved this years game.

I loved the Finale (City Museum).

I loved the Scholarship Breakfast.

I loved how the weather added intensity and suspense of the Einstein matches.

There was never a dull moment.

I didnt feel sick this year! *My chicken sandwich was pink this year and I didnt eat it!!*

My team did better than last year!!

I love EVERYTHING ABOUT FIRST!

* I posted in the negatives post because there are extremely minor things that were really bothering me *

FLL
FTC
FRC

"May the [mass x acceleration] be with you"
"Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?"

Alumni of Team 79 Krunch.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Joony13
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Joon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud of

Just as has been said, the game itself was great in so many ways, creating extremely exciting matches and unpredictable results.

I also loved instant score reports, as well as how penalties were scored. I think that made it very transparent to the spectators as well.
2013 Buckeye Regional Winner
2013 Buckeye Spirit Award
2013 FLR Spirit Award
2012 Newton Division Finalist
2012 FLR Semi-Finalist, Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 DC Quarter-Finalist, Industrial Design Award
2011 FLR Quarter-Finalist
2011 Boston Quarter-Finalist, Imagery Award
2010 FLR Quarter-Finalist, Innovation in Control Award
2010 Philladelphia Semi-Finalist, Gracious Professionalism Award
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the game -- easy to explain, with interesting (and deceptively difficult) design challenges and a lot of strategy.

Real time scoring/penalties = great.

The KOP improvements, from motors to FIRST Choice, were just fantastic.

The video tour of the field was excellent and informative -- especially the bit about calibrating the inexpensive bridge!
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Alumni of FRC175~Mentor for FRC2342
AKA: Kelsie A
FRC #0175 (Buzz Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
keatiyeh175 has a spectacular aura aboutkeatiyeh175 has a spectacular aura aboutkeatiyeh175 has a spectacular aura about

I loved the instant scoring. Even though the delay in previous years made some great tension and anxiety, being able to know who won 10 seconds after the match sure does beat shutting the field down because of scoring issues. Go Buzz
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

My 75-year-old mother in law really enjoyed herself.
So did my 3-year-old son.

What more can you ask for?

#55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:48 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way that the GDC incorporated two primary objectives (shooting baskets and balancing on bridges) that drove the robot design in opposite directions and made you think. Tall (and top-heavy) is great for shooting baskets but lousy for balancing and vice versa. Long is more stable on the bridge, but wide is better for a triple balance. It required creativity to develop a comprehensive solution.

FRC 1918 (Attending Gull Lake, West MI, & Lansing)
FTC 6043 & 7911
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
2014 CMP Special Invited Guest
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (Mech Tech Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

I brought some friends from a nearby school to come watch. They didn't expect much when they arrived, but when we were puling off triple double balances at the end, I could hear them screaming, specifically, in the loudest I've ever heard a FIRST venue get.

This was my senior year, and I feel blessed to have played the most exciting, easy to understand, fast paced, robot-varied, KOP-open game ever. If the GDC can actually top Rebound Rumble, I might cry at the reveal.
--------------------------
I support the Endangered Whale Conservation Project.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
#0599 (Robo-Dox)

Mr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond repute

The Coopertition Bridge - I think it was great to have opposing alliances work together for a mutual benefit.

- Mr. Van
Coach, Robodox
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the game was an overwhelming success. One of the best design challenges in my time in FIRST (2005-Present).

One other thing I liked was that Hybrid, Teleop, Bridge, and Coop points were all tracked seperately and reported. This allowed for some cool statistical analysis, like Overall Hybrid points, TeleopOPR, etc..

It also allowed people to look further into a match to understand how it played out, specifically in elminations. If an alliance was a really high powered ball scoring alliance, but couldn't balance...you could see that in the data without watching the match.

Told a much more useful story than overall match scores.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Androo
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
Dr. Shocker is on a distinguished road

I really liked the ways that this year teams were more easily able to combine functions. last year it would have been a tad silly to put your mini-bot in your tube manipulator, but this year you got see teams who could use their bridge tipper to acquire balls, go over bumps, and maybe a couple other things I didn't notice.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

I liked that the seeding system this year (for the first time in a long, long time) didn't discourage defense, encourage scoring for the other team, or anything similar and instead rewarded an act of actual coopertition(TM).

*generic TBA signature*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: