OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is about family, making new friendships, belonging somewhere, doing something you love, and finding out what your real love is in life, so when you're old and wrinkly you can look back at high school and say "This is when I found myself." - Winged Wonder [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Finally done with 2014.
AKA: Joe Sanchez
FRC #0229 (Division By Zero)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
O'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 6WD Sheetmetal Chassis

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Rookie Mentor
AKA: Ian
FRC #0997 (Spartans)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
IanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 6WD Sheetmetal Chassis

It looks really good.
I'd say the lightening pattern is rather conservative, so if you're pressed for weight, you could probably take some more out.
Looks like you might have more rivets than you really need on the gearboxes, but better to have too many than too few I suppose.
This may be something you intentionally didn't add, but you may want to consider a bellypan for reasons ranging from enhanced rigidity to convenient location for electronics.
My only other thought was that you might want to add more overlapping/connecting material at the corners. I have modeled a couple drivetrains like this, but have never built one of them, so I will defer to someone with more experience on this aspect.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Driver, Ld. Programmer, Electrical
AKA: Bilal Majeed
FRC #2185 (Ramazoidz)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
2185Bilal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to 2185Bilal

That desgin, but i think chaining only the lower 4 wheels so the bot can turn better

2009 Toronto West Regional - Regional Winners
2009 Waterloo Regional - Regional Winners
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Finally done with 2014.

O'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
It looks really good.
I'd say the lightening pattern is rather conservative, so if you're pressed for weight, you could probably take some more out.
Looks like you might have more rivets than you really need on the gearboxes, but better to have too many than too few I suppose.
This may be something you intentionally didn't add, but you may want to consider a bellypan for reasons ranging from enhanced rigidity to convenient location for electronics.
My only other thought was that you might want to add more overlapping/connecting material at the corners. I have modeled a couple drivetrains like this, but have never built one of them, so I will defer to someone with more experience on this aspect.
I am planning on adding cross supports over and under the gearboxes for added rigidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2185Bilal View Post
That desgin, but i think chaining only the lower 4 wheels so the bot can turn better
Ummm. I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. I stated that I dropped the center wheel 1/8"

2012-20XX: Division By Zero 229
2011-2012: Aces High 176
2008-2011: Team Paragon 571

Clarkson University: Class of 2016
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Simplicty is Complicated!
AKA: Bryan Culver
FRC #0033 (The Killer Bees)
Team Role: Alumni

BJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond repute

Tip: If you dropped the center wheel 1/8" you will have 1/4" of rock in your chassis because it will not sit as it does in your CAD. If this is the case and you actually want 1/8" of rock I suggest either raising an outer wheel 1/8" or dropping the center only 1/16"

Regards, Bryan
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: College Student

apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

A few questions:
-What size rivets are they, and at what spacing?
-Why the 0.090" 5052? We looked at 5052 this year, but decided to go with 0.063" 6061 (and later decided we should have gone with 0.050" 6061). A thinner material would be lighter, and 6061 0.063" is strong enough for a FIRST robot with bumpers.
-Any details on the shifter, specifically the ratio and shaft design?

And finally, any plan to remove the transmission in vehicle if you ever have to? It looks like it would be very, very difficult to work on anything inside the transmissions as it is now. Even though it would possibly weigh slightly more, you could pocket out the space of the transmission side plate that is integrated into the frame, and put another plate over it. The transmission would then be a single assembly bolted into a hole on the frame.

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
And finally, any plan to remove the transmission in vehicle if you ever have to? It looks like it would be very, very difficult to work on anything inside the transmissions as it is now. Even though it would possibly weigh slightly more, you could pocket out the space of the transmission side plate that is integrated into the frame, and put another plate over it. The transmission would then be a single assembly bolted into a hole on the frame.
Seconded. We had a sticking transmission at Worlds, so we took the whole thing out and put in our spare in a few minutes. Definitely an important consideration.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Finally done with 2014.

Answers are in bold.

Quote:
A few questions:
-What size rivets are they, and at what spacing?
3/16" at 1/2" spacing
-Why the 0.090" 5052? We looked at 5052 this year, but decided to go with 0.063" 6061 (and later decided we should have gone with 0.050" 6061). A thinner material would be lighter, and 6061 0.063" is strong enough for a FIRST robot with bumpers.
I decided on .09" 5052 because that's what I've seen many teams use and since it was my first sheetmetal chassis I thought that would be a good starting point.
-Any details on the shifter, specifically the ratio and shaft design?
The shaft is made custom on a lathe/mill. I will try to upload a pic of the actual shaft but it is not letting me put an attachment in this post.
I am going to pocket out the flanges above the transmissions. I am also probably going to remove the rivets attaching the transmission to the chassis and replace them with bolts for easier removal.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Over All GREAT Looking Chassis!
But I still have things that I would recommend you change to improve it

- I would change your lightening holes to Triangles rather than circles. It will help you lose more weight and can be stronger.
- I love the way you have the supports on the transmissions. But it will still torque your side plates. You will want to put some sort of cross braces of some sort. It could be just bottom braces though, just to pull in the bottom of the transmissions. TRUST ME! They will torque and your chassis WILL be warped. But Then again Bottom and Top braces will be better.
- Good job with the extended Top flanges. It will help keep your side plates in line properly.
- If I am looking at this correctly. Why are your axles live with that type of Chaining? you only need Live axles if they are passing threw plates (the wheel is on one side of the plate, and the sprocket is on the other). You will save weight if you change to Dead Axles. The only one that must be live is the middle wheel because it is direct driven.

Great job for your First Sheet-metal Chassis!

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Driver, Ld. Programmer, Electrical
AKA: Bilal Majeed
FRC #2185 (Ramazoidz)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
2185Bilal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to 2185Bilal
Cool Re: pic: 6WD Sheetmetal Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Sancheski View Post
Ummm. I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. I stated that I dropped the center wheel 1/8"
ohh im sorry, i was saying that i really like the design but i would only chain four wheels, and in the front put like omni-wheels so the turn ability is increased. Like the way the u have it now, it will turn but not as fast as it could

2009 Toronto West Regional - Regional Winners
2009 Waterloo Regional - Regional Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Rookies Rock
AKA: Brian Smist
FRC #4930 (The Electric Mayhem)

smistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud ofsmistthegreat has much to be proud of

Quote:
ohh im sorry, i was saying that i really like the design but i would only chain four wheels, and in the front put like omni-wheels so the turn ability is increased. Like the way the u have it now, it will turn but not as fast as it could
As has already been stated, the center wheels are dropped to ensure smooth turning. Generally, to improve turning performance, you can either drop the center wheels or add omnis at one or both ends. Doing both is not necessary.
2013 | Mentor | 4124 | Integration by Parts

2009-2012 | Student | 1507 | Warlocks
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smistthegreat View Post
As has already been stated, the center wheels are dropped to ensure smooth turning. Generally, to improve turning performance, you can either drop the center wheels or add omnis at one or both ends. Doing both is not necessary.
Would you recommend the multiple powered omnis or the drop center?
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Mechanical Director, Drive Captain
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
MichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant futureMichaelBick has a brilliant future

Quote:
That is not true. A drop center will act as if there is not an extra 2 wheels. In other words, it will act as if it is a 4wd with a smaller wheelbase.
To follow Team 1836 on Facebook, go to http://www.facebook.com/MilkenKnights
To go to our website, go to http://milkenknights.com/index.html
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Finally done with 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
- If I am looking at this correctly. Why are your axles live with that type of Chaining? you only need Live axles if they are passing threw plates (the wheel is on one side of the plate, and the sprocket is on the other). You will save weight if you change to Dead Axles. The only one that must be live is the middle wheel because it is direct driven.
The only live axles are the center shafts which are direct driven off the transmission. The outer 4 wheels are dead axles with a 22T #35 chain sprocket.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Sancheski View Post
The only live axles are the center shafts which are direct driven off the transmission. The outer 4 wheels are dead axles with a 22T #35 chain sprocket.
Okay I am looking at it wrong then. What are the circle on the outside wheels, that to me look like bearings?

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: