OCCRA
Go to Post Oh no, do I see a new reality TV show coming? "Dancing with the FIRST Stars"??? :ahh: - KathieK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: FIRST is realy looking into the Einstein problems

This is a step in the right direction. And a BIG one. I like the move--bring in the known "robots with problems on the field" and try for two days to either replicate the problem or find the issue, with team members present. Then the call for all the other data...

I think FIRST got the message the field sent.

Now, let's see if FIRST will send official observers to offseason events that use a FIRST field...or at least take reports of potential field issues.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by normpear2 View Post
It could be the lack of available empty Channels for WiFi to broadcast over.
The fields currently use 5ghz 802.11N. A field has one AP with 6/7 virtual networks on the same channel set. 802.11 is also capable of running multiple networks on a single channel, although that's not terribly efficient, as the error rate will be fairly high, but that's why 802.11 needs so much bandwidth and error correction code.

However, that dosen't stop the D-link bridge from scanning all of the 2.4ghz networks it finds.

Another however, this thread is not about speculating on what happened. I am glad that they acknowledge that there is a radio/communication problem.

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Putting the Jumper in the Bumper
AKA: Ian Thompson
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
Radical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
The fields currently use 5ghz 802.11N. A field has one AP with 6/7 virtual networks on the same channel set. 802.11 is also capable of running multiple networks on a single channel, although that's not terribly efficient, as the error rate will be fairly high, but that's why 802.11 needs so much bandwidth and error correction code.
I was down on the floor at Einstein, and I pulled out my wifi scanner during one of the speeches. I don't remember what the 2.4 spectrum looked like, but 5GHz was completely clear with the exception of the Einstein field. However, I was surprised to find that all 6 robot networks are run on the same channel. Perhaps the router they use isn't capable of running over multiple channels.

"To have no errors would be life without meaning. No strugle, no joy"
"A network is only as strong as it's weakest linksys"
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
FRC #0192 (GRT)

Rookie Year: 2011
Gray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I am pretty sure the FMS was used at every 2012 FRC event.
They were referring to the field electronics hardware, not the FMS software (which is indeed used at all events).
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
>e, 7h3 5up3rn47ur4l
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 2009
PAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
wrong word choice.

Well, if look at it from the "this has been happening for years" perspective, that of a pessimist, then yes, it is the wrong choice of words. But a more optimistic person could say "at least they are doing something now instead of trying to fix it during the 2013 season", in which case it would seem like a perfectly appropriate word choice. Some one who falls somewhere in between the two groups might say that it is "ironic" for an optimist to say that they are being proactive even though this has been going on for years.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR_WIG1350 View Post
Well, if look at it from the "this has been happening for years" perspective, that of a pessimist, then yes, it is the wrong choice of words. But a more optimistic person could say "at least they are doing something now instead of trying to fix it during the 2013 season", in which case it would seem like a perfectly appropriate word choice. Some one who falls somewhere in between the two groups might say that it is "ironic" for an optimist to say that they are being proactive even though this has been going on for years.
I am going to use your "optimistic" definition of "proactive" next time my wife's car breaks down and she asks me why I didn't do anything about that noise she'd been complaining about for 8 weeks.

#37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
]\/[ Go Blue!
AKA: Solomon
FRC #1076 (Pi Hi Samurai)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Zebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Zebra_Fact_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
wrong word choice.

I can see what you mean by this, but why I selected this word, I guess, is because FIRST could have always just either blamed the individual robots or claimed it to be a fluke (or some other variation that allows them to spend no money searching for a solution) until it inevitably happened again next year.

But instead they are discrediting no claims that there was a field issue and are taking all possible steps to right the wrongs for next year. Bravo! So often do I see the wrong thing done because it is easier/more convenient/cheaper. There was a problem and they plan to fix it.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by normpear2 View Post
The dlinks are 5 Ghz Compatible, maybe its time to try it @ 5? There would be less interference due to the lower number of 5 Ghz compatible computers and other devices. We could run 2.4 Ghz @ home, and use 5 GHz at competitions as part of the router setup kiosk, since you are only allowed to connect via bridge or tether at competitions, it would cause no problems other than the practice fields would need Dlinks instead of the old Cisco routers.

I mean, 99% of these comm issues don't happen outside the field.

It could even be the FMS itself...
IIRC the dlinks do run on 5GHZ on the field.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra_Fact_Man View Post
There was a problem and they plan to fix it.
I heartily applaud FIRST for finally reacting proactively to this ongoing problem.

#40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Jack of all trades
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

KylerHagler is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to KylerHagler

I am excited that they are doing this. This might help find out why we blacked out during a match during Newton Qualifications as well as 1717.

Kyler Hagler - 3310 Alumni/Mentor
Black Hawk Robotics Team 3310
2014 Colorado Regional Winner
2013 TRR Winner

Http://Team3310.com
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM
AKA: Lucas Pacheco
FRC #0207 (MetalCrafters)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 1999
Metalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant futureMetalcrafters has a brilliant future

First I have to ask to please not use this thread to hash out the same issues we have all covered else where.
We were contacted almost imediatly after the Championship to offer their support and invited us to provide any and all experiences/data. I am sure this was the same for all of the final 12.
I truely feel for all of the staff and volunteers that had to deal with the aftermath or the finals and all of the events prior. You could hear it in the voice of the gentlmen I spoke to.
FIRST has been more than professional and accommodating to all involved in the finals. If it could be extended to all that had issues, they would. Our community will benifit from the final 12 test.

FIRST does realize that we as a community has made this big part of our lives, so much so it powers us through the off season and creates conditions for great success in all we do. So My team and I are pleased with the offerings that FIRST has put on the table. Will it please all that read the results? I hope so. But for the nay sayers, this is life! be iterative!
See you next year, when we start this whole process over! Just for the fun of it!
Lucas
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Thank you to FIRST for making this a priority and taking a swift course of action. Thank you also to the 12 awesome FRC teams for accommodating and helping with this project.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Robots are Love. Robot are Life
AKA: Pauline Tasci
FRC #3476

paunatime will become famous soon enough

step in the right direction
~Honorary Member, FLL Extraordinaire
Team 3476 Code Orange 2014- ?
~Mentor
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:55 AM
AKA: Mac
FRC #4334 (ATA)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
Undertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm. I hope all teams can afford to send an adult representative in. Other than that, a step in the right direction, for sure.
Utah 2014 Judge's Award
Western Canada 2013 Champions
Western Canada 2013 Innovation in Control Award
IRI 2012 Champions
Archimedes 2012 Champions - "The Eh Team"
GTR East 2012 Highest-Seeded Rookie
GTR East 2012 Cooperition Award
GTR East 2012 Rookie All-Star
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Just to reiterate for those jumping to the end of the thread...
The field elements only (border and mechanical parts) were stored in Tenn. The electronics had been used at four prior events and were chosen for their proven track record at those prior events.
FIRST is taking this very seriously, from Jon and Dean all the way down. Everyone is committed to finding out exactly what happened. FIRST started this process right after Champs and has been working hard to collect data from all involved.

Thank you to all teams that are participating.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: