OCCRA
Go to Post We're moving to metric, inch by inch. - Joe Ross [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou
Re: Team Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 372 lives on View Post
im pretty sure no one uses. Tan, Dark-Salmon, or Plum.
Oooo, those are nice colors. I like plum a lot, though finding the right color shirt might be interesting.

While a lot of teams use yellow/gold as an accent (with black, blue, etc), I can't think of many that use it as their dominant color. Either there aren't many bright yellow shirts around, or I'm just ignorant, which is always a possibility.

I can't think of any teams that use teal. Though once you start getting into colors that can't be found in an 8-pack of Crayola crayons, the colors become a lot more unique.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
I can't think of any teams that use teal. Though once you start getting into colors that can't be found in an 8-pack of Crayola crayons, the colors become a lot more unique.
I think 1519 and 744 come pretty close to teal. They use a light blue, at any rate.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:41 AM
AKA: Spencer Tickman
FRC #1318 (Issaquah Robotics Society)

Rookie Year: 2009
tickspe15 is a glorious beacon of lighttickspe15 is a glorious beacon of lighttickspe15 is a glorious beacon of lighttickspe15 is a glorious beacon of lighttickspe15 is a glorious beacon of light

We are purple and gold and very recognizeable because we wear purple button ups with gold ties and pocket protectors i have not seen very many other purple/gold teams at the seattle or spokane
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
AKA: Marissa
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
dictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickspe15 View Post
We are purple and gold and very recognizeable because we wear purple button ups with gold ties and pocket protectors i have not seen very many other purple/gold teams at the seattle or spokane
What about us?!? The HIGH-Tekerz are purple and gold!
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Realize that if you're going for easy recognition, it's not just about color but about style. (meaning primarily design, though it never hurts to have style )

Yes, there are dozens and dozens of teams with black t-shirts, or blue t-shirts, or yellow t-shirts, or purple t-shirts, etc--but they're all t-shirts. That's not to say you can't be distinctive in t-shirts: big logos, metallic/shininess (<3 MOE), though especially with distinctive colors can definitely set you apart. No ones confusing MOE or Thunderchickens with anyone else, or even each other! Though 365 especially is green from their bow ties to their wire ties.

Still, if you're looking for another trick, add something to the ensemble. The FIRST world is overflowing with black/white/red teams and red/orange teams, but most don't push it to flame or cameo pants (though some do; then life gets really confusing, <3 1511). Or rock out the ties, hats, socks, what-have-you--as long as it's safe.

Avoiding monochrome is also an effective way to get spotted. It's hard to lose track of MORT's epaulets, Bacon's sleeves (the colored sleeves), WildStang's...WildStang, Daisy's trim checkers (even understated, at least compared to WildStang), or 25's shirts (well, at least in New Jersey), to name a few.

In short, don't just hunt for the color, hunt for the style. If you can stand 100-200 feet away from someone and still see the contrasting elements (both within their uniform and from the backdrop), you've got a good start.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post

I can't think of many that use (yellow) as their dominant color.
We do
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Mentor

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

Siri's right, it's not so much the color as the design and pattern that makes your team distinct. Look at Wildstang, or the teams that have stripes.

Although, the right color can make you stand out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180105.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	941.4 KB
ID:	12810  

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Rainbow pattern. There's a way to stand out....

Or at least rainbow accents - Mork from Ork suspenders. No one will get that reference.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna hop on to the 'go pattern' bandwagon here.

1923, as an example, changed our colors when we invited all the schools in the district (didn't want to favor one by using its colors). So, we're black, white, and silver.

What do we do with black/white/silver to stand out? Zebra print. Or really, anything black and white patterned. It allows kids to wear what they want, as long as they wear the shirt, they can add their own fun 'flair' to it... and we still stand out.
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward as a mentor & drive coach.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodude03 View Post
Team 399 uses purple and orange. I believe a couple of years ago it was called the hideous purple and orange combo of colors, ha ha
Couple years ago... couple minutes ago... same diff

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM
No capes
AKA: Olivia Gifford
FRC #1094 (The Channel Cats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
OliviaG is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to OliviaG

I would say the most common colors are Blue, Black, and Red, there are tons of other common colors, but those are just a few I see allot. Our team color is Orange, its actually becoming more popular..... Its an awesome color!
"Not everyone has the chance to do great things - to learn how to build a robot while working alongside some of the greatest mentors you will ever meet, to become one with your team, and learn to be a gracious professional while competing with exceptional teams. It's not every day you meet people who want to change the world. Being inspired, learning, creating, thinking, and doing things to shape the future. THIS IS FIRST." -Me
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Couple years ago... couple minutes ago... same diff
It's worse when you use green accents. Neon green, IIRC. Best-looking hideous robot I can think of...

#58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSpartain7 View Post
I would say the most common colors are Blue, Black, and Red, there are tons of other common colors, but those are just a few I see allot. Our team color is Orange, its actually becoming more popular..... Its an awesome color!
I remember when my team use to be one of the very rare teams to be wearing Orange. But yes Orange is becoming a very popular colour.

I think you just need to implement it into you stuff more to stand out.

By the way why do all american's spell Colour wrong?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
By the way why do all american's spell Colour wrong?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Hey, we spell it right down here. It's all "U" guys up there (and the British) that spell it wrong!

#60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

We're blue and white to match our school and because when Jack grows up he wants to be the Cheesy Poofs.

Not many teams PC in the Northeast. I hope we keep doing it in the future.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: