OCCRA
Go to Post It's sooo stressful! I brought my suitcase to school today, and I still don't know if we're going! - elfenari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow
Re: FIRST is really looking into the Einstein problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilks View Post
I always see the "not to disclose details" card played when things didn't go well. I guess there was no aha! moment when the problem showed itself again. If there was truly good news, it would be shared immediately.

Just my $.02 worth.
Yeah, as people already said, I don't think that's an accurate conclusion to jump to. It could easily be, "We think we may have found the issue, but we're not certain that's the issue, so we don't want people to say it's the issue, then have everyone get their pitchforks out when that's not the issue" or something along those lines.

FRC 125 [2013-Present]NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

When we have an issue in production, my manager doesn't just want to know what happened. He wants reliable, reproducible testing AND a fix proving we identified the correct answer before he'll disseminate information to other parts of the organization. Saying you found the issue and coming back a week later and saying "just kidding" is about the worst thing an operations team can do.
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilks View Post
I always see the "not to disclose details" card played when things didn't go well. I guess there was no aha! moment when the problem showed itself again. If there was truly good news, it would be shared immediately.

Just my $.02 worth.
Jim,
This could not be further from the truth. I just managed to get my preliminary reports (qty. 14) filed yesterday afternoon. They were likely the easiest to compile but were needed by others to complete their work.
www.wildstang.org
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
When we have an issue in production, my manager doesn't just want to know what happened. He wants reliable, reproducible testing AND a fix proving we identified the correct answer before he'll disseminate information to other parts of the organization. Saying you found the issue and coming back a week later and saying "just kidding" is about the worst thing an operations team can do.
We are the same way where I work. We review with a team of engineering fellows along the way to make sure we haven't gotten off track at each step during the DIVE process. (Define, Investigate, Verify, Ensure)

If you during your investigation that you don't verify the cause of the problem you can't ensure it won't reoccurr. I would want to make sure my data supported the conclusions before they were published, and preferably have a working solution.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Matteson View Post
We are the same way where I work. We review with a team of engineering fellows along the way to make sure we haven't gotten off track at each step during the DIVE process. (Define, Investigate, Verify, Ensure)

If you during your investigation that you don't verify the cause of the problem you can't ensure it won't reoccurr. I would want to make sure my data supported the conclusions before they were published, and preferably have a working solution.
If you look at this as an "academic problem", you will come to a similar conclusion. It is very much looked upon badly if you publish in "the popular press" before you do so in a refereed technical journal!
  #141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:30 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Earlier this week it took me a little bit too long to realize that the reason my pen wasn't writing correctly was that it was actually a screwdriver. I'm going to have to ask for a few nights of honest sleep before signing off on a report.
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:43 PM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVanWyk View Post
Earlier this week it took me a little bit too long to realize that the reason my pen wasn't writing correctly was that it was actually a screwdriver. I'm going to have to ask for a few nights of honest sleep before signing off on a report.
Ouch! Yeah, go catch some sleep, get a massage, have a few adult beverages. No need to kill yourself over this. Just remember that for all our whining and complaining, we actually do appreciate all your hard work and incredible effort. (That goes for anyone else present at the testing too.)
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------
  #143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

In some ways, I think it's easier to be a NEM (non-engineering mentor) in this situation and to trust and support the process that has begun, lacking the technical expertise to fuel impatience and frustration. I have great respect for everyone involved and everyone that has to patiently wait for news and updates.

We'll get through this as a community, this we know.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 06-16-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: tweaking
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
does what needs to be done.
FRC #2449 (Out of Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
daniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura aboutdaniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura about

connection problems happen to even the most prepared...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQO...feature=fvwrel

if you are in a hurry, go to 1:33.
  #145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_dsouza View Post
connection problems happen to even the most prepared...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQO...feature=fvwrel

if you are in a hurry, go to 1:33.
And they figured out what was happening ... ~500 wi-fi base stations in the crowd, and the phone couldn't handle that. When they had the crowd "dim" the base stations, it worked. Hmmm...
  #146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Jim Wilks
FRC #1334 (Red Devils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Jim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond repute

It's now been over a month since the re-enactment of the Einstein saga. Not a word from FIRST since the last email stating they "needed a few weeks" to analyse data.

I maintain that if they had found something concrete they would have shared something about it.

#147   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Frank mentioned it again last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC Blog
Thursday, July 5, 2012

Whereís the Einstein Report?

Hello Teams,

Iím sure youíre wondering what the status is of the Einstein report. I can tell you that our internal staff, with a great deal of support from our outside experts and the Einstein teams themselves, have been working very hard on this. The current draft report is over 20 pages long, and includes lots of detail. Getting all these details right is taking some time, but we hope to have a final version ready for release shortly.

I did want to share with you a photo taken during Einstein Weekend, June 9-June 10th. Thatís a great deal of talent represented in one place at one time, all working on a common cause!
Frank
  #148   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
Frank mentioned it again last week.
It's good to hear that they're making progress. Probably not the progress some people are looking for, but they're not going to bust the entire wireless problem in 2 days of official testing.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #149   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone,
The report is getting very, very close. Bill's departure has added to the workload a little at HQ.
www.wildstang.org
  #150   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
AKA: Oliver Graff
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorn Attack)

Rookie Year: 2009
linuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to beholdlinuxboy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to linuxboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Everyone,
The report is getting very, very close. Bill's departure has added to the workload a little at HQ.
Excuse me while I go obsessively check the FRC Blog every few minutes.
2012 Java & Hardware Beta Test
FTAA - Where is Wolcott Offseason 2011 - Mayhem In Merrimack Offseason 2011
Scorekeeper - Bash at the Beach 2011 - River Rage 15
WPI Regional 2011 - FRC 3780 - Rookie All Star Winners - Safety Pins
Field Reset - CTR 2011 - Boston 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: