Go to Post I suppose this would be a bad time to reveal that Q and LookingForward are the same robot person hybrid thing... - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
worse then failing: proving murphy
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics) and FTC # 4633)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Peck will become famous soon enough
Re: pic: Chameleon Drive

one more comment: where are you putting your speed controllers and other nessesary hardware?

TEAM 1619
__UP-A-Creek Robotics__
It ain't done till it's over-done
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Nice first full project, Nate. Here are a couple things you can check out to help you iterate; another person a while back had a similar idea.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95179

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/36921

As with the above project, it could be a great project to make in the offseason to test different drives, but it most likely is not the practical design for a competition robot.

Also, this may be a good chance for you to learn how to create configurations of your assembly within Solidworks.

My posts do not necessarily reflect the views & opinions of affiliated teams.

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal |
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495
| ['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
AKA: Garret Smalley
FRC #0691 (Hart District Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Garret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond repute

We switched from swerve to Mecanum at the LA Regional this year; this was because we accidentally fried our swerve steering motors when calibrating the PID at San Diego and didn't want to deal with it at LA. We were able to do this very fast because we design our drive train in modules. Each module uses the same of mounting and has everything already built in (except controllers).

I really like a of things about the the OP's design, especially the design around limited manufacturing capabilities. Also, it looks like it should be able to accept mecanum as well because of the corner gearboxes. Great work!
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
mikemat is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you think it would take to change the drive types? It would add a neat dynamic if you could be a 6- or 8-wheel drive for quals, then switch to mecanums or a slide drive in elims so you can triple, or change drives between matches to better suit your opponents and partners.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
worse then failing: proving murphy
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics) and FTC # 4633)

Rookie Year: 2007
Peck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemat View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much time do you think it would take to change the drive types? It would add a neat dynamic if you could be a 6- or 8-wheel drive for quals, then switch to mecanums or a slide drive in elims so you can triple, or change drives between matches to better suit your opponents and partners.
dude, you would take up your entire weight allowance in just the drive train and be unable to master how the robot drives.

TEAM 1619
__UP-A-Creek Robotics__
It ain't done till it's over-done
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:07 PM
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: Driver

mikemat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
dude, you would take up your entire weight allowance in just the drive train and be unable to master how the robot drives.
If you shipped as pictured in 6 or 8wd configuration, all you would need to bring would be the mecanum wheels. A slide drive would be harder because you would need an extra gearbox and motor controller, but not impossible with 30 pounds. I can't speak for driver training, but judging from the teams that already switch mid season, it isn't impossible to adjust to a different drive.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
If you shipped as pictured in 6 or 8wd configuration, all you would need to bring would be the mecanum wheels. A slide drive would be harder because you would need an extra gearbox and motor controller, but not impossible with 30 pounds. I can't speak for driver training, but judging from the teams that already switch mid season, it isn't impossible to adjust to a different drive.
Modular systems are allowed on a robot, but if a robot can have extra configurations--example, two arms that have different functionality--either you stick with one configuration (or do a permanent change and request reinspection) or all the configurations together must be under the weight limit. That's been in the rules for as long as I can remember.

The governing limit here isn't the Withholding Allowance. It's the robot weight. I don't think that most teams would like cutting into the 120# allowance by 15# or more.

However, I think this sort of drive system could be invaluable to a team, not necessarily in competition use but as a practice robot. Build it Day 1, throw a bunch of tests at it to figure out drive base for the year, use as a practice defender or build the rest of the robot on top of it. It's not unheard of for a competition robot to be designed to handle two different types of drivetrain, but only use one in competition.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM
AKA: Matt Schwabenbauer
FRC #0291 (CIA (Creativity in Action))

Rookie Year: 2008
mschwab013 will become famous soon enough

This is so cool! Can you possibly send me the CAD file so I can show it to my team and we might try and build a prototype of it to see how well it works

2013 Pittsburgh- Gracious Professionalism award, 7th seed, 6th alliance captian, quarter-finalist(291,3492,4601)
2013 Queen CIty- Chairman's Award, 39th seed
2012 Pittsburgh- 23rd seed
2012 Buckeye- 34th seed, 2nd alliance, quarter-finalist(291,1241,4085)
2011 Pittsburgh- 13th seed, 5th alliance, quarter-finalist(291,337,3504)
2011 Buckeye- 18th seed, 8th alliance, quarter-finalist(279,291,3496)
2010 Finger Lakes- 15th seed, 5th alliance, quarter-finalist(291,1507,1559)
2010 Buckeye- Chairman's Award, Imagery Award, Quality Award, 4th seed, 1st pick, 1st alliance, semi-finalist(291,1014,1629)
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
FRC #1410 (Kraken)
Team Role: Alumni

Nate Bloom will become famous soon enough

Again, thanks for all of the comments and suggestions! I am taking all of this into consideration with version 10, so this has been a huge help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
All told, very nice job for your first CAD project. Keep taking on new projects - it's an excellent way to get better.
Thanks, I have been in leadership except for my freshman year, so once in a while it is nice to get back to what I really love about robotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
one more comment: where are you putting your speed controllers and other nessesary hardware?
I was hoping to leave the bottom free, but I will try to work around integrating the electronics in the chassis with version 10, especially since we are likely first building this as an independent chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Nice first full project, Nate. Here are a couple things you can check out to help you iterate; another person a while back had a similar idea.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95179

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/36921

As with the above project, it could be a great project to make in the offseason to test different drives, but it most likely is not the practical design for a competition robot.

Also, this may be a good chance for you to learn how to create configurations of your assembly within Solidworks.
I was actually inspired by 159's description of their bearing blocks on their final robot. I hadn't realized that it was originally such an adaptable frame, and I only saw them use 8WD in competition.

Quote:
I tried to keep everything simple and easily accessible, with the idea of changing sets between quals and elims, or maybe even between matches in mind. That said, it may be more difficult accounting for weight and having a driver trained for both drives, as others have mentioned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: