OCCRA
Go to Post If you have a problem with a team, go to that team and address it with them. Don't air your slanderous opinions here for all to see. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #226   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics / DEWBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] Einstein Report Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Any further action will only serve to harm the team, the students they serve, and the community as a whole. I wish them well in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
/end discussion
I've watched this for the last two days and have been trying to find a way to write what Al did.

Lets look to fix the control system problems. Remind roboteers and mentors that a 125LB robot moving at 9FPS slamming into another robot creates a lot of force so connectors, cables and COTS electronics may be damaged. Put as much design effort into our electrics and electronics as we do for our mechanics. Remind designers that CPU cycles and network capacity is not infinite, less is always more. Make every CPU cycle and network message count.

Lets pull together as a community on these topics. All teams now and in the future will benefit from the shared knowledge of how to do these things.

But as Al and IndySam said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Any further action will only serve to harm the team, the students they serve, and the community as a whole. I wish them well in the future.
Add me to that list too. Nobody benefits from retribution.
-2012 - Gateway World Championship - Amaze, Energy and Community Awards --- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd Junior Division & 2 Design Awards
-2011 - Round Up World Championship - Think, Teamwork and Excellence Awards -- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Junior Division & 3 Design Awards - KTOR College Excellence Award
-2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship --- VEX Champion, VEX Swept Away at IRI --- PSU Firefight 2nd & 3rd Junior Division
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #227   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know the team simply because it seems they could use a hug.

#228   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute

There are ways to improve the time to troubleshoot power issues on the robot and they should be explored. Documentation is a fine thing but at some point we have lots of documentation now and all too often it's missed. Writing documents is fine to offload responsibility for risk to those that should be reading those documents. However, as Einstein demonstrates shifting responsibility does little for the reputation of FIRST generally. The people in the stands are there to see the show and robots not moving is what you expect at a museum.

There are proper ways and improper ways to conduct investigations if you know you have a real issue. I should hope the message of this report is tempered to consider that not everyone who takes issues with the status quo is going to operate with reckless disregard for policy and process. I should also hope that this report makes it clear to FIRST that stonewalling channels can lead to negative outcomes. Just a point as I have often found that it's a serious problem to get the attention of those that have the power to command resources to investigate within the organization. That alone can never justify the risk of this situation but I can see how the factor contributes.

From my last post it's clear that ranking or de-ranking Team 25 (based only on the unique information I have as I have their original A version router) couldn't have been the practical goal. Under the circumstances any effect on who won was probably as stated by Al and this report merely secondary to the person's goal to demonstrate the cause and effect of their ability to deny service to robots (regardless of whom was effected which in many ways made their point useless anyway).

Given the only person who has been confirmed to cause any issue was only doing something that anyone could have and probably did stumble over (hence some of the earlier failures). I return to the same point as the others. This was a bad decision on their part and they have paid their price according to what FIRST deemed acceptable. FIRST is the most effected. FIRST lost money, reputation, resources, and opportunity on a national stage as the direct result.

As to the idea presented elsewhere that no team can understand how these teams felt. Let me point out that frequently teams ranking towards the top are effected by the ruling of the refs on the behavior of other teams on the fields during matches. I have personally been involved with a team that felt they were improperly impacted by the actions of other teams and people on the field during play. While this is more unusual than normal it's really quite similar. These are all fantastic teams. I feel badly for the seniors on these teams who will soon no longer be able to hold student roles, but beyond that these teams are not magically great. They have important recognized qualities that will carry them past this and we hope to future recognition.

Let no one mistake that I still think the smart thing for FIRST to do is legally bind these people to silence and strongly discourage any attempt to discover who these people are. We are a large organization. I worry not about the majority of FIRST and how it will behave but I worry that somewhere in FIRST there is a small number of people that will play hero if they find out and only compound the misdeed.

Let us focus on the positive which is that FIRST can move forward into the future hopefully better for this.
  #229   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
Is it actually the color of the bumpers? Will putting red bumpers on a robot make it fail, or will blue bumpers fix it? Of course not.
Well no, but it could influence the drivers.
http://www.sciencentral.com/video/20...pic-advantage/

/tangent
  #230   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Well no, but it could influence the drivers.
http://www.sciencentral.com/video/20...pic-advantage/

/tangent
This is probably why i am more scared of 1114 than 2056. lol (I love them both though )

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #231   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
This is probably why i am more scared of 1114 than 2056. lol (I love them both though )
I wonder what is going through their minds when they face each other!

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #232   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
I wonder what is going through their minds when they face each other!
Especially if 1114 is in blue and 2056 is in red...
  #233   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Pulverizer
FRC #0907 (East York Cybernetics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Matthew.Mc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcrbe View Post
Especially if 1114 is in blue and 2056 is in red...
I believe he's referring to the colour of the teams individually, and not when there on the field (Bumpers).
  #234   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)

Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew.Mc View Post
I believe he's referring to the colour of the teams individually, and not when there on the field (Bumpers).
That's the point! If their team colors oppose their bumper colors, who has the advantage?
  #235   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Forward.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really proud of FIRST and its volunteers for putting such a thorough report together. This was a fascinating thread to read, and I appreciate everyone pretty much holding it together and providing a good discussion.

Although unrelated to the report, it did make me finish my recap of Championship. You can read it here.
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #236   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the point! If their team colors oppose their bumper colors, who has the advantage?
Everyone else
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #237   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DUNT DUNT DUHHHHHHH

lmfao

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #238   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

With the passage of time, things get clearer in my head but I don't know if I am happier about the situation.

First, for my own part, I apologize unreservedly to FIRST Canada. My early post was totally unfounded. I am sorry for implying that perhaps this was in any way connected to bad blood associated with the Greater Toronto East Regional. This was very unfair of me.

Second, as to naming the individual and the team, it is clear from the various eye witness accounts that a LOT of people know who this person was and what team they were associated with. KEEPING THIS A SECRET IS UNTENABLE. It will get out. Once it does, I suppose that there will be a lot of digging around looking for reasons why this information was kept secret... ...and I assure you that it is always possible for conspiracy theorists to weave together plausible narratives that will paint the individual, team and FIRST in a much worse light than if they had published the information themselves.

I BEG FIRST, the associated team and even the individual to publish what they know. While it is painful in the short run, it is going to be better to get this out in the light of day now.

While they are at it, they should probably address the rapid departure of Bill Miller. Even the most charitable observer cannot help but wonder if his departure was related to all of this. I am not saying it is or it isn't but I think it is in FIRST's best interested to address this openly.

Calling 'em as I see 'em.

Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #239   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM
AKA: Tom Indelicato, 811 Moderator, Mentor, Parent, ...
FRC #0811 (Cardinals)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
Mr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant futureMr_I has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mr_I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I would like to know the team simply because it seems they could use a hug.
The best thing about forum discussions is that we don't need to be physically with the person (/ team / entity) to give them a cyber-hug.

So who's with Taylor and me, and wants to give the currently (and hopefully permanently) unknown team a group hug?? Come on, CD community, let's set an internet record!

Cyber-Group-Hug time!
  #240   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_I View Post
The best thing about forum discussions is that we don't need to be physically with the person (/ team / entity) to give them a cyber-hug.

So who's with Taylor and me, and wants to give the currently (and hopefully permanently) unknown team a group hug?? Come on, CD community, let's set an internet record!

Cyber-Group-Hug time!
Does that mean we're having another unofficial ChiefDelphi web hug??

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: