Go to Post This is a game of the mind. Size does not matter. - JohnBoucher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Formerly robo hottie71
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej
Exclamation Sabotage

So the Einstein report has been out for an entire weekend now and I think everyone has had a chance to digest it a bit. Yes, there was some foul play, but also many other factors. It is quite unfortunate that it happened the way it happened, but we're all learning from it and moving forward.

While cruising the interwebs, I came across this video.

I'm still rolling on the floor. I think it would do everyone good to take a moment and have a good laugh. Perhaps the Brothers will play this on Friday at IRI??

Upon further investigation, I also stumbled across this photo album...

What is Dean Simmons and the Kamen Brothers up to????

I can't wait to find out...See you at the show!
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award

Last edited by Kevin Kolodziej : 07-17-2012 at 07:41 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future
Re: Sabotage

I find this a bit insensitive to the victims of the attack. I do not expect to be alone in this opinion, especially when esteemed members of our community, such as Karthik, have made it very clear that they are not taking this issue lightly. While it would be nice to be able to laugh right now, the situation is still raw. It doesn't strike a good chord with me, and even as I hope that we can reach a time when this issue is not so painful, I think making light of it is over the line.

P.S. I do not want to put words in Karthik's mouth. I have great respect for the opinions he has conveyed elsewhere, and I am forming my own, here, which may be much in parallel with what he has said. I have merely chosen to provide an example of someone who has made a related (yet more eloquent) remark on another sub-issue within this vast set of circumstances.

Last edited by Ekcrbe : 07-17-2012 at 12:41 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0314
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcrbe View Post
I find this a bit insensitive to the victims of the attack. I do not expect to be alone in this opinion, especially when esteemed members of our community, such as Karthik, have made it very clear that they are not taking this issue lightly. While it would be nice to be able to laugh right now, the situation is still raw. It doesn't strike a good chord with me, and even as I hope that we can reach a time when this issue is not so painful, I think making light of it is over the line.
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way about it. Yes it sucks what happened; however, we cannot change the past. We can only look into the future and plan to prevent what has happened. For now though, enjoy a little comic relief and save yourself the stress of what has happened.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM
AKA: Josh P.

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, I wish I were going to IRI this year to maybe catch a glimpse of this fabled musical experience.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Formerly robo hottie71

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej

Quote:
As I would expect Karthik to. He had a direct interest in the outcome of those matches and to have that tampered with would not sit well with me either if it were my team. However, its not about winning or losing and it never has been. All of the Einstein teams have much to be proud of for simply getting to that point. Consider this: A half inch shift on the bridge and 67, 2826, and 4143 are the Archimedes representatives and not the Eh Team. Would Karthik feel the same way if he experienced this from the sidelines? Only the man himself can answer that, but it has no bearing on my opinion - why should it affect yours? Get some rest and try to enjoy it again tomorrow!
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I partially agree with you, don't forget that some highly esteemed members of our community made this song/video too. Just saying.

My posts do not necessarily reflect the views & opinions of affiliated teams.

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal |
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495
| ['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Intaker

Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnabel View Post
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way about it. Yes it sucks what happened; however, we cannot change the past. We can only look into the future and plan to prevent what has happened. For now though, enjoy a little comic relief and save yourself the stress of what has happened.
I am all for looking forward and being proactive to prevent a repeat performance in the future, but I find it very disrespectful to mock the teams that had a fair chance at winning on Einstein taken from them by one person who does not hold him/herself to the high standards of FIRST. I think that letting the whole ordeal fade from public view, at whatever pace it may take, would let the affected teams have more proper closure. We should also avoid bashing the perpetrator for the sake of his/her former team members, who don't need to be reminded of the shame likely coming to them once their identity is known.
I don't want to start a threadlong argument, so I rest my case.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Intaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kolodziej View Post
As I would expect Karthik to. He had a direct interest in the outcome of those matches and to have that tampered with would not sit well with me either if it were my team. However, its not about winning or losing and it never has been. All of the Einstein teams have much to be proud of for simply getting to that point. Consider this: A half inch shift on the bridge and 67, 2826, and 4143 are the Archimedes representatives and not the Eh Team. Would Karthik feel the same way if he experienced this from the sidelines? Only the man himself can answer that, but it has no bearing on my opinion - why should it affect yours? Get some rest and try to enjoy it again tomorrow!
And if we hadn't died in Newton Finals 1, and then 548, 118, and 2194 had fallen off the bridge in Finals 2, we could have been in their place. That's not the point. I watched Einstein from the stands, and I'm upset for them.

And it is kind of about winning or losing, but even more about winning or losing fairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
While I partially agree with you, don't forget that some highly esteemed members of our community made this song/video too. Just saying.
Touche. That's VERY hard for me to say in most cases.

Last edited by Ekcrbe : 07-17-2012 at 12:41 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Brace yourself..Summer CD is coming
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
This. It's meant to be a simple lighthearted view of the situation. Laughter is the best medicine. I, for one, am really healthy after this video. That was a lame way to put it.

I wish I was going to IRI to catch the live debut of this song. And I really wanna over analyze the Sgt. Pepper cover for secrets...

2012 MAR Championship Dean's List Finalist

FRC 223 [2009-2013]: Xtreme Heat- Student; a myriad of positions.
FRC 125 [2013-Present]: NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Well, shows what I know...

Ozzy Kamen's ability to emulate Ad Rock's...distinctive...sound, I think it's a good thing. I don't think this is a topic that should necessarily be brushed aside or forgotten, and things like this spread the word across a group that doesn't always get (or read) FIRST emails. Start rapping about sabotage or have some odd iPhone wallpaper, and you create opportunities to tell the story again.

Of course nobody in FIRST thinks this is a joke, and there are some that have grounds to be even less amused. (I know I wasn't reading the report.) But for all the high costs of Einstein this year (not just financial ones, either), we need to ensure the message reaches down to all the nooks and crannies.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, I've found that being outraged on behalf of others is often a misuse of energy.

This is a calculated risk by DSK. As a topical parody act, there is a level of expectation that they will tackle this issue. This isn't their first foray into controversial issues ("No students built that robot!" comes hilariously to mind). I'd wager they ran this idea past the 12 teams before making it public.

As far as loss goes - some teams missed a fair chance at getting a blue banner. Three exceptional and deserving teams earned a blue banner. Net loss in overall team blue-bannerage: 0.

Let's look at DSK - namely the lead singer, Ozzy. What happened at STL and throughout the season was, in a word, embarrassing. The livelihood of Ozzy, his family, his friends and their families depend on FIRST not being embarrassing, and on Ozzy's establishing and maintaining great relationships with hundreds of teams and suppliers. As far as losses go, I'd say members of DSK stand to lose the most by the Einstein debacle, and by treating it inappropriately. If they're willing to look back with a bit of humor, good on them. They need healing too. To them, this isn't blue banners to hang on the wall - it's food on their kids' plates.

For those that were directly involved in the events that happened in April, you certainly have every right to be outraged, for an indefinite amount of time. As one of the major players said, it sucks, and it sucks big time, and it will never not suck. But let's let people determine their own reactions, and let's not get indignant at a comedy act when it does something funny.

Last edited by Taylor : 07-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just grateful that the band could pick themselves up off the ground without splitting their pants.

Have a great concert at IRI, guys!

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 07-17-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: oops, pooh pah, sorry...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'd like to point out: the song is a very angry song, and the lyrics were written to match that anger. The song is definitely intended to convey a sense of anger that was felt by the community.

The video, on the other hand, is something completely different. If you're familiar with the original, the Beastie Boys wrote a very angry song and set a really funny video behind it (a parody of 70's cop dramas). The concept of angry song / funny video is kind of weird to me, tbh. The band thought it would be fun to do a parody of the original video, making it a parody of a parody. Of course it had to be really whacky and outlandish, because that's how DSK usually rolls.

If you think that laughter is the best medicine, then enjoy the video. Getting someone to smile when they're down can be helpful.

If you feel you're not ready to smile and you have some anger and frustration to let out, then cover the top 3/4 of the video (or scroll so you only see the bottom) and let it out by screaming along to the words on the bottom. Angry music can be therapeutic as well.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, your post made me think this:

DSK is edgy and makes a point by being very cool, very nerdy, and very edgy - all at the same time. It's that brilliance factor.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

Rage.

That's what the song conveys - according to my wife. She overheard it while getting ready for work this AM. She wasn't watching and she doesn't want to hear it again. (No offense to DSK's musicality intended)

As Chris says, blocking out the video eliminates any comedic sense to "Sabotage." There is nothing funny about what happened on Einstein.

"Why?!"

This is what the FRC community is really struggling with. The individual who did this has scarred us. Maybe he didn't think about that or didn't care. If he comes out and offers an explanation, it most likely won't be very satisfying. Is "just to prove a point" going to sit well with anyone?

"Resignation" might be all we'll ever hear from this individual.
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: