Go to Post FIRST is an organization that teaches students that smart is cool. - Warren Boudreau [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Andrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to all
FIRST's goal is to inspire people to pursue careers in science and engineering.

It's mechanism is to create an environment in which Engineers are recognized as role models.

FIRST creates an avenue where young people are exposed to Engineers in daily life. If you think about it, there are no TV programs glorifying the world of engineering. There are very few outreach activities which put engineers directly into contact with the community.

So, if you take the Engineers out of FIRST, what do you have left?

Although Engineers are extremely competitive, we all need to realize that FIRST is -not- about winning the competition. The only reason to have the reaction "Those lousy engineers out-designed me" is because you are too focussed on winning.

The best part of the competition (for me) is to go around the pits on practice day (usually after the crowds have left) and check out all the great designs that people have put together.

Some of the most talented people in the world are designing robots in FIRST. If that were taken away, all of us would be poorer for it.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2003, 03:10 PM
A Fire Outside
AKA: Brandon Joerges
#0470 (Alpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Gadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Gadget470 Send a message via AIM to Gadget470
Perhaps your post would have been fitting elsewhere. But you picked out one of the most (if not the most) respected teams in FIRST.

I see you are sincere in your regression, and I'll back down now too. The issue here is now dead, please, if you want to start a debate, or continue a debate of the subject.. find the approprioate sub-forum and/or thread.

Smiles

Ompha1oskepsis 118448018 bjoerges@gmail.com
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Former Driver 1038, 979
AKA: Driveman
FRC #1038 (Thunderhawks)

Rookie Year: 2001
dddriveman has a spectacular aura aboutdddriveman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to dddriveman
The issue is now dead, and I wish that I never brought it up it was a stupid comment that was very immature and unprofesional of me to say what I did.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:01 AM
#0522 (RoboWizards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Joe Clohessy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Joe Clohessy
NO dddriveman, your right. My team 522 has 0 engineers. But ya know what feels good.? When you get against a team with 5 million to spend and engineers build their bots and you win. Yes I agree with what some people were saying, if you go to any of the Delphi teams they will know the robot in and out, there drilled and tested and told what to say to a judge, what to do and when to do it. As some of the TEAMS not the engineers it feels great to show them down. Knowing that an engineers 100 hrs + of work just didn't make it through your 10 hrs of work. Sometimes its not all equations its just trial and error and common sense.

--2003 NYC Regional Winners
--2003 NYC Motorola Quality Award Winner
--2003 Philadelphia Eliminations With Team 365 MOE and Team 341 Miss Daisy
--2003 8th seed Championship Curie
--2003 Eliminations With Team Hammond the 2002 Championship Winners and Team 223 Xtreme Heat

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 06-22-2003 at 10:48 AM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 09:20 AM
A Fire Outside
AKA: Brandon Joerges
#0470 (Alpha Omega)

Gadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Gadget470 Send a message via AIM to Gadget470
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Clohessy
NO dddriveman, your right. My team 522 has 0 engineers. But ya know what feels good.? When you get against a team with 5 million to spend and engineers build their bots and you win... Sometimes its not all equations ...
Joe.. please see my post.. with the following:

Quote:
The issue here is now dead, please, if you want to start a debate, or continue a debate of the subject.. find the approprioate sub-forum and/or thread.
So.. you represent your team and say now that it's more important to win against an Engineer Built team than to learn from them. By pointing out your team number, you are calling yourself the opinionator of the team.
Honestly though, I think if your team had the opportunity to have engineers, you wouldn't turn them down.

As I said before:
Quote:
if the team is inspired, then so be it. An engineer built robot doesn't always perform better than the student built ones. Inspire your students, then build a robot as you all see fit.

Ompha1oskepsis 118448018 bjoerges@gmail.com

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 06-22-2003 at 10:49 AM.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Andy Baker
Not only will you learn from their wisdom and experience, but you may also find a friend.
Quote:
M. Krass
While it may appear to you that this transmission was designed entirely by engineers, please keep in mind that they shared it with everyone -- including teams like yours that don't yet have the benefit of engineers to guide them.
Quote:
Andy Baker
FIRST is about Inspiration, simply put. It is great to see students do things without engineering assistance, but FIRST is not about seeing what students can do on their own. Go enter a science fair if you want to show what you can do... but if you think that you can drive us engineers away from FIRST by berating us and telling us that we should be ashamed of our actions, you must be joking.
It's not fair to close this thread, because people may actually want to talk about 45's transmission in the future. So, I am asking that any more 'engineer built' comments be put into their own thread, preferably one that already exists. Yeah, I'm asking you to go do some research before posting. I know it sounds hard and you've got stuff you just have to say, but you may learn something. You may also see that the exact words you are going to write have actually been posted 10 times before, argued to death, and everybody agreed to disagree.

Thanks.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando
I have a quick post about the transmission. I've seen it up close at the Indiana FIRST workshop and talked with team members about it (a student explained it to me). When I first saw the video showing the robot changing gears in motion I was quite amazed. I couldn't imagine how to design something to do that so effectively and as it turned out, the solution was simple, reliable, and cool. Nice job. If only we could build 'em like that .

P.S. Thanks for always sharing your designs!
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:06 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by generalbrando
Nice job. If only we could build 'em like that .
Generalbrando,

Don't sell yourself short, you can build them just like that. We took the design and modified it to use off the shelf gears from Martin Gears. The only parts that took time to machine were the hex driveshaft and dog/mates. These could be easily farmed out to a local machineshop as we did for a very, very low fee when the shop was told what they were for. The tranny has proved to be robust, and reliable. The 2003 modifications make it even smaller and lighter. There are also some other designs in the white pages for shifters

2003 GLR Champions (302,67,226)
2003 Buckeye Semi-Finalists(902,494,226)
2002 Nationals QuarterFinalists
2001 West MI QuarterFinalists
2000 GLR Semi-Finalists
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando
LOL

Sorry to give the impression that we just couldn't duplicate their designs. It was actually a joke. During competition we redesigned our drive train over 7 times (no joke), putting us on the field with a new attempt each and every time. Note to self and all listening: never use bicycle sprockets! It wasn't my idea and there's no need to point fingers, so I'll leave it at that.

As for creating something like this drive train for our robot, we didn't have the tools or money needed, not to mention the fact that we decided not to use gears (next year may be very different). I know that seems odd, but the reason is simply that we couldn't contruct something that we were confident enough in to think it wouldn't get twisted and mess up the gears or gear boxes. We had trouble keeping our sprockets in relative alignment .

Anyway, thanks for your tip on getting something like this made cheap and easy.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2003, 09:50 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reiland
These could be easily farmed out to a local machineshop as we did for a very, very low fee when the shop was told what they were for.
How low of a fee was it? Any numbers? We usually do our own machining so I have no idea how much anything like that would cost.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Robot-A-Holic
FRC #0980 (The ThunderBots)
Team Role: Coach

DougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted on 5/22/03 by Matt Reiland

Tips/Tricks you ask:
8. Suggest using gear drive out of the gearbox, we were throwing chains at Buckeye until we made automatic chain guides for Buckeye.
Matt,

We had trouble with "throwing chains" also. Can you elaborate on your automatic chain guides?
Championship Event: Galileo 2nd seed,
IRI: Competition Winner, Cal Games: Competition Winner
2005: Arizona: 1st seed
Silicon Valley: Regional Champion (Thanks Teams 254 and 22)
S. California: Regional Runners Up (Thanks Teams 22 and 968)
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:13 PM

Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Doug,

I will get a picture but what we did after Buckeye was take off the sprockets and make some delrin (Actually it was my kitchen cutting board, some kind of plastic) rings that were bolted to each side of the sprocket, they had a steep chamfer at the top that pretty much forced the chain to ride back into the teeth on the sprocket. Unless the chain broke there was no way possible for the chain to derail. Worked perfectly for GLR (We Won!) and at Nationals. This proved to be the most reliable and easy solution to using chains yet. Even better than a tensioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrible pic.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1433  

2000 GLR Semi-Finalists
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
How low of a fee was it? Any numbers? We usually do our own machining so I have no idea how much anything like that would cost.
The fees for the parts jobbed out were on the order of $40 per dog mates, and about $80 for the main dog or hex drive shaft. These are on the cheap side, but like I said make it clear to the shop what they are for, especially if they are light on work

2000 GLR Semi-Finalists
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:37 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Matt,
What size chain did you use? I know 980 used #25. We used #35 with a four motor drive with less than perfect alignment. We threw a chain only once when we rammed a wall at full speed. (Oops! )

Our sprockets and chains took up a lot of weight this year. Would it be worthwhile downsizing to #25?
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2003, 03:01 PM

Sanddrag, we used the smaller #25. We never had any problems as far as strength, only throwing the chains. I wouldn't use #35 for drive anymore, #25 was adequate and we had a ton of power this year in low gear with tank treads. By using the chain guides there were no drawbacks to #25 chains

2000 GLR Semi-Finalists
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: