OCCRA
Go to Post We are behind you 100% (more if needed)! - Clem1640 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2003, 07:12 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2001
Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish
Oh no! not the mushy stuff!
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2003, 07:51 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Quote:
Originally posted by Tytus Gerrish
Oh no! not the mushy stuff!
What on earth was the point of that?

Anyway, FIRST has introduced me to a lot of new people and I've made several friends along the way. The season was great but even when it's over I've got friends I can hang out with and just have fun. Of course we are doing so by working on a Segway clone, but hey shows our dedication, we do normal stuff too. It's definately had a big impact on my life.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2003, 10:20 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute
I've actually met a lot of people thru robotics, but I've met a bunch thru this site too!!! I think that whoever said that thing about us all going thru that whole long 6 week build process thing was right. I know that on my team, for some reason, one of our biggest and first real bonding times was when the space shuttle catastrophy happened. I know that the way that I will personally remember it for my entire life is sitting in the lunch room at the GM Proving Grounds with my entire team staring at the television, trying to process what had just happened. That was the first real way that I got friends thru first was thru my own team. After that, I realized that there were a lot of other kids out there who were all a lot like us (went thru the whole build and competition thing and all) and i started talking to a bunch of them. I was so talkative that the mentors sent me out for the sole purpose of talking to people, and collecting buttons. So I met quite a few people that way. Overall, I've met a lot of people thru first, and all I can say is that I'm really glad that I decided to join.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Andy Grady in a dress...wait, what?
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Anne George is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Anne George
Between FIRST and FIRST Camps ive met more people that ive made lasting friendships with than i have in the past 17 years that ive been alive. Without FIRST i would never have met my boyfriend or know most of the people i know. some of the people that i am friends with now i wouldnt be friends with without FIRST because we just would have hung with different crowds but now i couldnt imagine not having them there to hang with or something cause their just awesome people. some of the most exciting people i know i only know because they are/were our engineers for our team. i remember Fresman year we had one of the funniest guys as our Animation engineer and whenever we would hold meetings he would just make them so much more interesting. He helped me feel like i fit in on this team so much more than i would have just because of his attitude. I am so glad i joined FIRST not only for the amout of fun it is but for the amount of great people i have meet through the program. I am always telling my friends about this kid or that kid that ive meet through FIRST. The friendships that ive made through FIRST i hope will be ones that dont break ever.
2003~ AutoDesk Animation Award Finalist: Granite State Regional Engineering Inspiration Award Winner: Granite State Regional Competition, New England Regional Competition Quarter-Finalist: Mayhem on the Merrimack Semi-Finalist: BattleCry @ WPI Winner!!!
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
2004 Detroit & Pittsburgh Winners
AKA: Eric Hansen
FRC #0005 (RoboCards)

Raven_Writer is just really niceRaven_Writer is just really niceRaven_Writer is just really niceRaven_Writer is just really niceRaven_Writer is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Raven_Writer Send a message via AIM to Raven_Writer Send a message via MSN to Raven_Writer Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Writer
Many friends on FIRST.

Not just from my team, but from others.

My team: Matt, Amminder, Meyur, and that's about it I think.....

Others:
Kelsy - team 384
Jim - team 384
team 384's one mentor (dunno who, but he knows, I talked to him about everytime I went to their pits ) - team 384
Shruti - team 25
Arwen (aim name) - unsure
A girl from team 25 (never got her name) - team 25

a few others I can't think of right now.

FIRST Rocks!!!!!!! w00t

[Edit: As of right now, I have 59 FIRST Members on my AIM Buddy List, and 1 on my ICQ List]

"ai yoru ga" -- "Love the nights"

Last edited by Raven_Writer : 07-07-2003 at 01:39 PM.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2003, 09:29 PM
PI loves you!
#0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Human Player

kristen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kristen
I LOVE FIRST. I've met sooo many people, some in really random ways.

And FIRST people don't find me really random when I'll randomly start talking to them.. for seemingly no reason.

And I definitly like to talk

I meet people like MATT KRASS who IS MY FRIEND. LOL
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2003, 10:31 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Quote:
Originally posted by kristen
...And FIRST people don't find me really random when I'll randomly start talking to them.. for seemingly no reason.
I meet people like MATT KRASS who IS MY FRIEND. LOL
Everybody finds you really random

Now would you get rid of those banners? It's creepy...
TEACUPS! (inside joke)

^^^ The above would be one of my crazier friends I've met in FIRST.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2003, 11:21 PM
#0263 (AFTERSHOCK)

hot69z is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hot69z
Talking

Matt Matt Matt. I am by far your craziest friend met thru first and you were lucky enough to not be on the team the same time i was on the team god knows what i would of done to you in the random sence
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2003, 11:32 PM
"flock their sheep"
AKA: Jeffrey Li
FRC #2505 (The Electric Sheep) & FRC #0188 (Blizzard)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
J Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to J Flex 188 Send a message via AIM to J Flex 188
Being on a first team for me, tends to at least break down some of the traditional barriers of what year of high school you are in. Face it for me, the majority of time spent hanging in around breaks at school or off it is with friends in my grade, obviously because you spend the most time with them. But joining robotics gives you a chance to spend a huge amount of time with people from all over the school and grades that you wouldnt normally meet. I suppose you could say that this situation is the same for all teams or clubs, but robotics gives the added kick of such a large amount of time concentrated into one period. You see them at their creative best, hardest working, laziest period and all middle ground in between.

Rookie-ing it up this first year, i stuck mostly by my team, but next year im definitely looking forward to meeting new people from new teams. = )

Woburn Robotics, Class of 2005.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux
I've met a lot of people through FIRST and this website. How can I tell this, you ask?? Well there's a FIRST Robotics Members section on my buddy list, that's how
But anyways, I've met a lot of people on a lot of teams all over. If it wasn't for FIRST (and chiefdelphi.com) I wouldn't have some of the good friends I have now Thanks FIRST!!

Oh yeah! I want more friends! So IM me peoples
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2003, 12:28 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish
Realy, I have 144 buddies from 39 teams on my buddylist
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:48 AM
penguin
AKA: atu
#0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Communications

utishpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to utishpenguin Send a message via AIM to utishpenguin Send a message via MSN to utishpenguin
without robtoicsi woudl have had zero social life

not only i am freinds with people on my awesome team but also people from our teams mentees: team 1072 and 1043.

not only i got to leanr from people my age but also from the hardworking advisors and teachers.

oh yeah, feel free to IM me. haha
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
I kind of realized that I never even replied to my own question, and that kind of upset me. There are many people to whom my team and myself owe great thanks and whom were a great pillar of strength this season alone. FIRST has always been less than just a school activity for me and more of a way of everyday life.

FIRST is unlike every other organization or every other robot competition because it begs to you collaborate; it encourages you to be a better person through the help of others.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2003, 05:58 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
As Amanda said, "FIRST is unlike any other organization". Through FIRST, i have met so many people i can not name them all or even start to name them... On my buddy list i have 56 FIRST related people, whom i can give their name off when told their screen name. Though FIRST has also let me meet people i never thought i would have, or go places where i am or have gone... FIRST in my eyes has opened me to a whole new road, in these past 3 years. See you all in 5 days at IRI!
~Mike

-Michael Dessingue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: