OCCRA
Go to Post what is FIRST?...It's about innovation, hard work, inspiration, teaching, learning, experiment, strategy, competition, meeting new people, being inspired, aiming high and changing paradigms...Really, FIRST is what you make of it. - jarowe [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen
K-State's Dean of Engineering said something at freshman oreintation that really reminded me of FIRST. Engineering is a field where communication, teamwork, and people skills are vital. Without them, and the desire to improve human lives, engineers would just be scientist. Not that scientist are bad by any means. They are actually very important to the technical group. But he emphasized how important it is to not only become technically sound, but also to be able to communicate and work together.

Think about FIRST. The teamwork. The communication. We are engineers in FIRST. We may not become professional engineers (I plan to become a ChemE), but the skills and desire that engineers need to be successful can carry over into many fields. FIRST breeds people to become good engineers, because people with good communication and teamwork skills are successful people. And Dean as a engineer of sorts, constantly try to instill the engineering thought process of improving society in whatever you may do. To leave the world a better place than when you came into it.

So you may not choose to be a professional engineering but whatever you choose to do, be an engineer. Use your team and communication skills, and help to make this world a little better place.

That's my plan at least. I'll find out in August. BS in ChemE, the possibly MBA, MS in ChemE, or slim chance law school(patent lawyer)

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:57 PM
I'm Baaaack!
AKA: Amanda Brienza as of 5/27/07
FRC #0071 (Team Hammond)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Amanda Aldridge is a jewel in the roughAmanda Aldridge is a jewel in the roughAmanda Aldridge is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Amanda Aldridge
FIRST is an incredible experience for anyone who's interested in anything. Engineer? Got that in spades. Public Relations anybody? (my major, hehe) Graphic Design? IT? Even Political Science...someone has to liason with our allies. I would, however love to see many more scholarships that don't have the engineering stipulation attached. I would've loved to apply for a FIRST scholarship, and quite possibly could've had a chance at winning one, but I didn't qualify for any, due to the fact that I am dead-set on going to Purdue, but I am a Communications major with a Public Relations emphasis and a minor in Women's Studies. Hmmm... I think all of the college students need to talk to their schools about offering non-engineering FIRST scholarships, and also that FIRST needs to actively solicit them.

my $.02

#48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2003, 05:17 PM
School=Build Season YAY
AKA: Mary
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Marygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Marygrace Send a message via Yahoo to Marygrace
Yeah, I was thinking of applying for one of the FIRST scholarships when the time came. Well, that was when i first joined the team and didn't know Diddly Squat about FIRST. Our captain at the time told me that practically all, if not all all, of the scholarships offered were for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering. I was dissapointed. I look forward to the day when FIRST offers a large variety of different scholarships for many different career paths.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2003, 06:05 PM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2003
Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam
I think most FIRST teams have a place for everyone. Think of each job there is to do and what careers it may relates to, and you can see the diversity a program like FIRST offers. For the future IT majors, you have programming. For the Business majors, there is scouting (organization) and budgeting. For the future Mechanical Engineering majors, you have robot building. The list goes on and on and I'm sure, with a bit of time, one could find numerous more possibilities.

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Marygrace
Our captain at the time told me that practically all, if not all all, of the scholarships offered were for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering. I was dissapointed. I look forward to the day when FIRST offers a large variety of different scholarships for many different career paths.
That aspect of FIRST isn't fully developed yet... and it might be quite a while before it will be.

I guess now we can just make sure the emphasis isn't on being in FIRST to become an engineer, but instead being in FIRST to become a better person.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Amanda Morrison
That aspect of FIRST isn't fully developed yet... and it might be quite a while before it will be.

I guess now we can just make sure the emphasis isn't on being in FIRST to become an engineer, but instead being in FIRST to become a better person.
I'm pretty sure the Clarkson FIRST scholarships are for anyone, they are based on HS participation in FIRST and have no "strings attached" for college (except... you need to attend Clarkson, obviously). Clarkson has a pretty good school of business, and a good school of science. So you aren't just limited to enginerding.

John
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
It's a SPAM thing...
AKA: George1083; George180
FRC #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
George1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond repute
There was a similar discussion to this one a couple months ago. Here are a few excerpts from a post I made in that thread.

"In high school, if you really like athletics, you can play football, baseball or such. If you like music you can be in marching or concert band. If you like english you can be in journalism. What is there for the kids who like math and science? Really, there are only so many quiz bowl competitions a kid can handle. So, there's FIRST: an extra curricular activity for cultivating math and science...

I got something totally different from my FIRST experience. To me the spirit of FIRST is all about sharing. During the 6 week build period, you share yourself with the 5, 10, 20, or 50 other people on your team. At the competition, you share your creation with everyone who watches your 'bot play the game. And the whole while we're involved in this concept of sharing called gracious professionalism. So, I took that to heart and decided to share knowlege for a living. I'm in school now to be a high school math teacher."

I didn't have to worry much about scholorships here in Florida (severe teacher shortage + pretty good high school record = George gets to go to school really cheap), but I think it would be good for FIRST if students with other intrests had scholorship opportunities, too. However, we're probably not going to see it anytime soon.

Creating more engineers is what attracts sponsors to FIRST. Creating more journalists, politicians, dentists, veterinarians, cowboys / firetrucks (), and teachers isn't.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-- Mahatma Gandhi
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:07 PM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux
I'll probably end up going to college in the hopes of becoming an Animator for Pixar or Disney, maybe a gaming company... or any one who needs an Animator really I could also do some drawings on the side or something... using Inventor or CAD.... yea.. that'd be the life
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
There is so much more to FIRST tan building a robot. You are learning how to work with a diverse group of people. You are learning to interact with adults and probably spend more time talking with your teachers that are advisors than anyone else in your school. You are learning to be responsible for yourself when you travel with your team to new cities. You must constantly market and sell your team to maintain sponsors, to win awards at events and to recruit new members. You are becoming the leaders of tomorrow by leading today.

No matter where you end up - college, tech school, apprentice, straight to a job - your are going to be a better person from FIRST. And then, you can help inspire someone else by sponsoring a team or being a mentor or leader.

My guess is you will all be great at whatever you do.
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2003, 06:44 AM
McWebmaster du Pi
None #0891 (Neverending Chaos...)

Aaron Knight has a spectacular aura aboutAaron Knight has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Aaron Knight
Personally, I have neither the mentality nor the ingenuity to become an engineer, nor a real desire to.

I will begin at Syracuse University this fall, double major in History and Computer Science.

I like programming and web stuff, but I also like liberal arts .

Plus, staying local means I should be able to stay w/891
Syracuse, NY
email: acknight@syr.edu
aim: akacomputerboy, farktal891
http://www.neverendingchaos.com
DOX, The Un-official FIRST Frat
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2004, 10:16 AM
#0062 (Grobot)

Servo888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who doesn't want to be an engineer?

I find most engineering work boring... I can't stand it!

I am planning on going into computer science type stuff; thouogh since most jobs went to india, it's hard to find a good paying job.

So in the end I'll try to work for the FBI, or any kind of armed service as a technology expert... I don't really know these days. I really don't want to work in general... I hate having a boss, I hate having to do stuff I don't really want to do...

That's why I enjoy FIRST, because I get to do something that I like, which is building stuff, as well as try out different 'jobs.' Some programming, some building, and some engineering.

guess that's my 2 cents,

cheers
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Alumni
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)

Nick Mac will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Nick Mac

I'd really like to be involved with political science. Either writing columns as a journalist or being a political analyst. Thats just the stuff that really interests me. I've never been good at math or anything so I searched for something that interested me. I like this and I understand it.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:04 PM
AKA: Tyrel
#0134 (Team Discovery)
Team Role: Mentor

fire chaser 134 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to fire chaser 134

im kinda interested in engineering but i dont know if i want to do it for a livving. this fall i'm going to school for fire science.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Engineer disguised as a Physicist
AKA: Leslie Salas
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Winged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Winged Wonder Send a message via Yahoo to Winged Wonder
Talking Re: Who doesn't want to be an engineer?

i've kinda thought about going into the field of engineering, but it really doesnt seem like something i'd want to do all of my life. there are about a million different things i've wanted to do in my life, from being an astronaut (naturally since i live right by KSC and have seen rockets and shuttles go up all of my life!) to being a linguist to being an artist. i seriously want to be an author of fictional stories though, and i've been told many times since i was in 4th grade that i could publish! ^_^; (i'm thinking about it... but i dont think my work is that good yet!) anyways, FIRST has taught me so much that would be encredebly valuable wherever i end up in life, whether i'm on the moon (or mars!), or in the Air Force flying an F-15 (-devious grin- i love fighter jets!) i'll still use what i've learned from participating in FIRST robotics after i graduate and move on in life.

I GIVE FREE HUGS AT COMPETITIONS!! (just ask!) | Real Men Wear Bodypaint Pink! | Good Luck This Year!!

Embrace your inner dorkiness, because face it, life is too short to be cool.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2004, 10:13 PM
The Resident Gamer -
AKA: Pat or Harry... if you ask its a long story...
FRC #0078 (AIR Strike)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2004
Heretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Heretic121

i do not want to become one...

want's are as follows

#1 - Game level design (make maps/3d enviorments for games espiaclly first person shooters on PC)
#2 Computer Animation
#3 Game producing (putting together the scripting and events in games)
#4 Game pengine creator (making the app that makes the game run and puts everything in the game)
#5 Proffesional Golfer
#6 Proffesional Surfer (very very far feteched)

*EDIT* i would like to add that i do make maps/3d enviroments for games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Call of Duty, and Return to Castle Wolfenstien

Last edited by Heretic121 : 02-19-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: