OCCRA
Go to Post Gracious Professionalism is being embarrassed at an event by an underperforming catstrophe of a robot, yet standing and applauding for every award because you realize that as hard as you worked that season, the other team must have worked even harder to get their achievements. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen
Goaltending...as a strategy?

I know this will seem against the "spirit of the rule". But for everyball that gets goaltended, the opponent get twice the points of that ball. In a game where the only certainty is you want to win and you want your opponent to score as many as possible in a losing effort goaltending may well be used to give more points to an opponent. Goaltending not only doubles the point the oppenent gets making it useful to give points to a team with robotic problems but it gets rid of having only a limited amount of space in a goal in which to score.

On the other side, the refs only have so many green flags. I believe FIRST would dq a team for persistent goaltending (they would have to after running out of green flags.) So I would definitely not look at this for a long term strategy.

But in a short term look, if you can goaltend five times before being dqed, that could add up to 50 to 100 points for your opponent. It would allow you to more quickly give points to the opponent in the case of a blowout.

Thoughts??
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:46 PM
AKA: Paul Luffel
FRC #1127 (Lotus Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

pauluffel is a jewel in the roughpauluffel is a jewel in the roughpauluffel is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to pauluffel
Re: Goaltending...as a strategy?

Yes, that does seem like a way to gain points for your opponent, but the rules do not say "your opponent will gain points if you goaltend" but rather, "robots cannot goaltend, and you'll be penalized according by the increase of your opponents score." This year's rules are much more vague in that goaltended with the goal of increasing your opponents score would be effective, though not graciously professional.

You may be increasing their score, but you are still preventing them from scoring. I like competition because it's seeing how good you can do, not how high a score you can obtain through the conniving ways of your opponent.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

wouldnt it be easier to push the porta-goal next to their human player, and feed them balls too?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Robohyo

ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future

possibly, but not likely as quick. I'm not suggesting or endorsing this as a strategy but merely offering it as a solution to a problem. Last year, we encountered a least a match where one or both opposing robots failed to work successfully. Feeding balls to the opposing human players along with capping for them are definetly a solution to this problem, and in this case is probably the accepted form. I was exploring other ways to "score for the opponent." Although it is not right by the rules of the game it is a solution to the problem I speak of.

I'll explain in the terms of basketball. Fouling is not really accepted in basketball. Players get 5 fouls before they have to sit down and a team can give 6 fouls in a half before the other team get to shoot free throws. Before 6 fouls, the opposing team only gets the ball out of bounds. Many times teams in the lead with less than 6 fouls in the half will take advantage of this in the final minute of the game. By fouling they take time off the clock and only give the opposing team the ball out of bounds. They can repeat fouling until they get to six to avoid letting the other team shoot free throws. The still run the risk of accidentally fouling the other team and allowing to shoot to possibly win the game.

With robotics, if they give a specified number of goaltending flags before disqualification it is very similiar to the basketball situation, but the team that goaltends runs the risk of dqing from an accidental goaltend. I don't like it but the rules make it part of this game. Some teams might just run that risk to score some extra points.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen
With robotics, if they give a specified number of goaltending flags before disqualification it is very similiar to the basketball situation, but the team that goaltends runs the risk of dqing from an accidental goaltend. I don't like it but the rules make it part of this game. Some teams might just run that risk to score some extra points.
In basketball, you can goaltend all you want. The other team will get the points. Why would you get disqualified for something that is already "hurting" you? I'd be willing to bet that this strategy will be a big part of qualifying...
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:50 PM
41246017 O-('_'Q)
AKA: Y C
None #0840 (Aragon Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 2001
HolyMasamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HolyMasamune

though i understand the basketball analogy, i still don't think FIRST should allow people to goaltend in order to get more points. In basketball, the goal of every team is to win a championship, thus fouling is a simple measure they take to get to the finish. However in robotics, the most important thing is not winning; it is gracious professionalism. even if it is a great strategy, the FIRST volunteers and sponsors do not want to see a cooperative game end up like this.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:09 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Or you can goaltend for your opponate. If you are way ahead, this would increase their score. IE, adding points to the game that otherwise didn't exist.

Wetzel
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Good Luck Teams!
AKA: Tyler Wetzel
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
tkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tkwetzel

Even though points are awarded, goaltending is not allowed per rule G20.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Collusion is BACK!!!!

Wow, you guys have done it! And it took you less than four hours! By figuring out a loophole in the rules, you have found a way to violate the obvious intent of the rules, break the spirit of the game, and potentially bring all the collusion arguments from last year back into the fray.

(haven't figured it out yet? Think about this: "ohh, we can give our downtroden opponents 50 points by intentionally goaltending 10 times, and raise their score" "hey, they can do the same for us" "so wouldn't that raise BOTH our scores?" ... the rest of the discussion is obvious)

The goaltending PENALTY is called a PENALTY for a reason! Rule G-20 is pretty clear - goaltending is a bad thing. The intent of the rule is unmistakable.

PLEASE remember what was said during the kick-off. A very significant effort went into creating a minimal set of rules this year, and get away from the encyclopedic tome full of exceptions, fine print, and legalese that they had become. This was done to make the rules easier to understand, simpler, and better for everyone. But along with that comes some additional responsibility on your part. That responsibility requires that you make a resonable effort to understand the intent of the rules, and abide by that intent.

Yes, you can probably find and exploit this and other loopholes in the rules. But when you do, your entire team better be involved in the discussion about it. Everyone must be comfortable with the example that they are setting, and the standards of behavior that they have chosen. Because EVERYONE on the team will likely be labelled with certain derogatory terms by all the other teams that chose to abide by the rules.

Lawyers find loopholes. Engineers find solutions. For which would you rather be known?

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 03:30 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
Re: Collusion is BACK!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
Wow, you guys have done it! And it took you less than four hours! By figuring out a loophole in the rules, you have found a way to violate the obvious intent of the rules, break the spirit of the game, and potentially bring all the collusion arguments from last year back into the fray.

(haven't figured it out yet? Think about this: "ohh, we can give our downtroden opponents 50 points by intentionally goaltending 10 times, and raise their score" "hey, they can do the same for us" "so wouldn't that raise BOTH our scores?" ... the rest of the discussion is obvious)

The goaltending PENALTY is called a PENALTY for a reason! Rule G-20 is pretty clear - goaltending is a bad thing. The intent of the rule is unmistakable.

PLEASE remember what was said during the kick-off. A very significant effort went into creating a minimal set of rules this year, and get away from the encyclopedic tome full of exceptions, fine print, and legalese that they had become. This was done to make the rules easier to understand, simpler, and better for everyone. But along with that comes some additional responsibility on your part. That responsibility requires that you make a resonable effort to understand the intent of the rules, and abide by that intent.

Yes, you can probably find and exploit this and other loopholes in the rules. But when you do, your entire team better be involved in the discussion about it. Everyone must be comfortable with the example that they are setting, and the standards of behavior that they have chosen. Because EVERYONE on the team will likely be labelled with certain derogatory terms by all the other teams that chose to abide by the rules.

Lawyers find loopholes. Engineers find solutions. For which would you rather be known?

-dave

well said. i remember we had many discussions about this last yr on how to try and give the opponents high points so that you can better your rank and having your opponents keep a high score.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Robohyo

Thanks dave for this clarification.

I saw there was controversy in this topic so it needed to be discussed. Like I've said, I had no desire to help create a machine to break the intent of the rules. Being brought up in a gifted situation that put some emphasis on looking for lawyerisms has been bad for me, especially since I'm going into engineering.

I figured it was a good idea to create some controversy and get a strong opinion against this strategy early instead of having the competition feel cheapened when a team uses this during the game.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej

Quote:
Engineers tend to find creative and alternative solutions to problems. I am down in the rankings and I am currently way ahead in the match...I don't have access to their mobile goal and my human player can't reach their stationary goal. My robot can't score small balls. If they shoot while I am hovering above their goal with the big ball ready to cap it, I can up their score but limit it as well. It sounds like a creative solution to me.

But...I do see your point about it getting out of hand and leading to collusion. So from that aspect, yes, it is a very bad idea and should not be done. But obviosly many people had this thought and to be honest, it wasn't too hard to come up with.

Previous to your post, my signature was "I live in the loophole!" In hindsight, it could be taken the wrong way, but it sounds much better than "I live in a place where thinking differently about rules can lead to many more possibilities!"

-Kev
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2004, 09:49 PM

westy67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Goaltending...as a strategy?

Very well spoken Dave. And Thank You.

Team 79
Engineer's Rock
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Computer Guy
AKA: Dav
#1020 (The Indiana Prank Monkeys)
Team Role: Programmer

deltacoder1020 has a spectacular aura aboutdeltacoder1020 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to deltacoder1020

one of those things that sounds great and might even work somewhat well on the spot, in a pinch, but should never be considered as a pre-planned strategy.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2004, 06:31 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Quote:
...break the spirit of the game, and potentially bring all the collusion arguments from last year back into the fray.
-dave
AMEN Dave. The first thing I thought of here was the collusion problem from last year. Stop and examine the obvious results of a post before posting. In the end, you are only likely to give more information to those who are likely to break the spirit of the rules anyway.

I can understand not liking the rule and it's interpretation, but let's look at the bigger picture. Build the machine and play the game the way it is meant to be played.

Here's a non-scientific formula for you:
Lots of goaltending flags = terrible game to watch AND play = bad for FIRST

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: