Go to Post Moral of the story: Keep something you can power on gamepieces at all times. Leaving them "to do their own thing" will only lead to heartbreak. - Ian Curtis [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:11 PM
YA TOAST!
AKA: David Butzin
FRC #0066 (The Flyers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
David66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to David66 Send a message via Yahoo to David66
Hanging After Match

In order to recieve the 50 points for hanging are we required to be hanging 12" from the ground only when the buzzer sounds, or are we required to hang at that height for an indefinite amount of time?

ie: My robot is hanging 3' in the air when the buzzer sounds, but after power is cu it drifts back to the ground-Do I get points or not?

if this has alreadys been posted and answered please leave me a link-there's no need for another entire discussion about it, I was simply unable to locate this thread elswhere.

2005 West Michigan Regional Champions with team 107 (Holland Christian High School) and Team 93 (New Apple Corps)

2002 National Champions
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hanging After Match

from FIRST Q/A:

Q: Would a hanging robot be scored if, after being powered down, it periodicaly touches the ground, but would eventually settle in a position where it would not touch the ground?
A: "Eventually" is typically about 10 seconds. If objects have not come to rest by then, the referees may disallow its score.

Q: How long does the robot have to remain off the platform to count as hanging e.g what happens if the winch unspools after power is removed.
A: Robots must hang until the referees' scores are final, which is probably no sooner than 30 seconds after a match is over. A winch that unspools after power is removed may be a risky design.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen

So does this say that as long as you settle up to a position above the ground in ten seconds and stay in that position (or at least be above the ground, possibly in some movement still, i.e. swinging) for at least until judging stops, 30 seconds +. You will be awarded the 50 pts.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 06:49 PM
YA TOAST!
AKA: David Butzin
FRC #0066 (The Flyers)

David66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to David66 Send a message via Yahoo to David66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen
So does this say that as long as you settle up to a position above the ground in ten seconds and stay in that position (or at least be above the ground, possibly in some movement still, i.e. swinging) for at least until judging stops, 30 seconds +. You will be awarded the 50 pts.
Swinging must be ceased within the ten second time frame. And your robot can settle into nay position above the ground as long as its at least 12 inches above the carpet (this is in the rulebook)

2005 West Michigan Regional Champions with team 107 (Holland Christian High School) and Team 93 (New Apple Corps)

2002 National Champions
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David66
Swinging must be ceased within the ten second time frame. And your robot can settle into nay position above the ground as long as its at least 12 inches above the carpet (this is in the rulebook)
If the robot is clearly hanging but still swinging without touching anything, it will count. The ten seconds is a general rule, more of a guideline really, that the refs will give the dust time to settle.

Wetzel
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)

Rookie Year: 2001
Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace

are you sure that it says that you need 12 inches above the floor? i don't seem to remember that...

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Team 930 and 171 Alumni
AKA: Justin
no team

Gamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
are you sure that it says that you need 12 inches above the floor? i don't seem to remember that...
He said 12 inches off the carpet.

The platform is 12 inches off the carpet

pretty much how I understand the rules is that you can't touch anything except the horz. bar within a time period. The time period set by FIRST is 10 seconds after the match is over.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando

If you are having trouble with a motor unraveling, the you could design a simple locking mechanism. If you attach a small wheel to the shaft the motor drives and have that wheel have some sort of holes in the side (like spokes maybe) - then all you have to do it put a small pneumatic next to it and send it out into the wheel when you want to lock it in place. I'm sure there are countless other ways to lock a motor. My point is really just that you could lock it instead of worrying about the rules.

Also, if you intend on pulling yourself up high, you might want to put an extension on your tether that's near the outside bottom of the bot. Yes, they can lower the bar, but it would save you a lot of time if you could tether yourself down.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2004, 03:51 PM
FRC #0061
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Norton is a name known to allMike Norton is a name known to allMike Norton is a name known to allMike Norton is a name known to allMike Norton is a name known to allMike Norton is a name known to all

I read a lot of these type post but I have one more question for everybody.

If I take the 2X ball and put it under our robot while hanging, then when the power goes out the motors start to back drive until the ball hits the ground. then the motor stop back driving when it sits on the ball.

Does this give us 50 points. we at that time would still be connected to the top bar and we would not be on the ground. the ball is part of the game and not the robot.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2004, 04:11 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

To quote FIRST, "Please see the definition of HANGING and SUPPORTED, they are clear and unambiguous in this case."

But seriously, I'm pretty sure your robot would be counted as being supported by the ball beneath you.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik
To quote FIRST, "Please see the definition of HANGING and SUPPORTED, they are clear and unambiguous in this case."

But seriously, I'm pretty sure your robot would be counted as being supported by the ball beneath you.
It doesn't matter if the robot is supported by the ball. It only matters if it is not touching the carpet, platform or goals. It also must be directly SUPPORTED by the bar, which means they would no longer be HANGING if they removed the bar. Since it is unlikely that they could balance on the large ball, they would be considered directly supported.

Granted that is how the rules are written now, and if you asked FIRST they would probably tell you to stop being a lawyer
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norton
I read a lot of these type post but I have one more question for everybody.

If I take the 2X ball and put it under our robot while hanging, then when the power goes out the motors start to back drive until the ball hits the ground. then the motor stop back driving when it sits on the ball.

Does this give us 50 points. we at that time would still be connected to the top bar and we would not be on the ground. the ball is part of the game and not the robot.
Words mean what words mean. If your robot is sitting on the ball, then by definition it is not hanging from the bar. NO 50 point bonus.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corporation)

Rookie Year: 2003
ShadowKnight has a spectacular aura aboutShadowKnight has a spectacular aura about

this would not be considered hanging because the 2x ball is supporting the bot, not the ball...if you were to remove everything but the bar, the bot would continue to backdrive till it touched the ground...so no, it would not be supported by the bar and thus, would not get a 50 point bonus

I met her through FIRST...

We only are where we are by God's providence and by no other...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: