OCCRA
Go to Post Sometime it makes me think what would I do without FIRST... - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:14 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
pic: The long arm of the law.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Re: pic: The long arm of the law.

(I know this is shameless.)

Giving credit where credit is due, this robot came together, quite literally, overnight. A multitude of unfinished subsystems where completed by dedicated students and mentors in an overnight session so that the robot could be driven north several hours for a presentation we made to a high school interested in participating in FIRST next season.

The presentation went well and the temporary assembly functioned much better than many of us expected. More importantly, there's another high school waiting in the wings, eager to participate in FIRST.

So, in more ways than one this season, my mystery team is reaching out and touching some folks. Good job

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:35 PM
\: |
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma

Congratulations. It makes me enviously happy to hear that another team broke their proverbial backs to build their robot early enough to have time to drive it to another school in order to intice them into being involved in FIRST. Uplifting conceptual story, IMHO.

Keep up the great work, M. I'll always be jealous of any team you're working with.

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

That's awsome. Nice arm.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 03:30 PM
no team (FIRST)

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Collin Fultz

i can see how it raises itself...but how does it telescope.

I now have a twitter, apparently I am the latter...

http://www.twitter.com/iluvcollinfultz

Collin Fultz
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

That is so cool looking. I can't wait to see it if you guys are going to the spbli.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
A Fire Outside
AKA: Brandon Joerges
#0470 (Alpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Gadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the roughGadget470 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Gadget470 Send a message via AIM to Gadget470

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin234
I may be wrong.. but I see what looks to be 2 12" pneumatic cylinders (on the side towards the claw, just past the winch). I assume those both extend/retract to give enough force to put the grabber up or down. However, it seems that if this is infact the raise/lower mechanism, there may be an issue of arc when grabbing balls out of goals or putting them in. Then again, I could be wrong (about there being a problem) and whatever team that is may have already mastered their ball handling.

Nice work folks... what team number? (M: You are listed as 000)

Ompha1oskepsis 118448018 bjoerges@gmail.com
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 09:55 PM
i donno...i just build it
AKA: joe
#0810 (the mechanical bulls)
Team Role: Student

some young guy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to some young guy

thats a nice looking robot. wat kind of string or rope r u guys using on the winch? and how are the claws closing over the ball?

well it looks good M.

from ur freinds on team 810
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin234
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The arm and claw uses a combined three motors and two pneumatic pistons for all of its actuation and control. The pneumatic pistons, however, are not used for the telescoping action. They are used to lower the arm into the horizontal position and to open and close the claw.

The arm extends and retracts via the globe motor and winch seen prominently in the foreground of the photo. It drives a cascading cable system, currently rigged with 1/8" steel cable, that extends the three segments simultaneously. It retracts by running the motor in reverse via winch drums of differing diameter.

Last season, I posted a lot of teasers without explaining what they did -- but everyone knew what team they belonged to. This season, I'm more than willing to explain how things work -- but I'm going to leave it a mystery as to which team we are talking about

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Insert Clever Title Here
AKA: Kyle J.
FRC #1610 (BOT)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
nukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond reputenukemknight has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using that arm just to get the cap ball or does it also go up and grab the bar?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemknight
Are you using that arm just to get the cap ball or does it also go up and grab the bar?
It's design revolves around the large multiplier ball and, as such, it is not designed for the load of a 130 lbs. robot hanging from it. However, it is used to deliver a secondary device that is designed for such loads.

...down at the Ozdust!

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2004, 10:26 PM
School=Build Season YAY
AKA: Mary
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Marygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Marygrace Send a message via Yahoo to Marygrace

Just wondering, do you guys have any center of gravity problems?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marygrace
Just wondering, do you guys have any center of gravity problems?
Dealing with this robot's center of gravity has been one of the most challenging aspects of its design. As such, our solution is also the design element that we expect to give us the most problems during competitions.

Our problems are not as you may expect, however, in that we're not too worried about it tipping over as it drives around the field. The arm and claw mechanism weigh 35 lbs. and can be stored directly above the robot, and while this does raise the center of gravity slightly, it's not nearly as concerning as having a 10' long arm extended outward from the robot is.

The challenge we faced was that of an additional unknown that many FIRST robots do not have to consider. Many teams, when designing robots, can safely assume that their chassis orientation with respect to Earth does not change -- that is, things are always level or at some known angle. Our design does not have this assurance, and so insuring that our chassis remains level to Earth was a prime design consideration. Therein lies our problem with center of gravity. An unknown or errant center of gravity means that keeping our robot's orientation known and controlled is very difficult, if not impossible.

We do, however, believe we have a viable solution.

...down at the Ozdust!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: