OCCRA
Go to Post Welcome to FIRST, side effects may include...... - spears312 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Head Hurts. Coffee. More. Now!
AKA: Jake
#0571 (Team Paragon)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Solace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to beholdSolace is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Solace
Re: operator standing on things?

technically, if you're under 5 ft, you qualify as a dwarf (whether you actually are one or not). I guess you could claim that as a physical dissability, but it would be a little bit of a stretch.

then again, i could be hallucinating, in which case you'll just have to eat lots of vegetables in the next few weeks..

2004 UTC New England #2 seed
2004 UTC New England Champions with 716 & 230
2004 Archimedes #2 seed, undeafeated in Qualifiers (for what its worth)

Jake
Team Paragon #571
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 12:09 AM
AKA: Chris
#0696 (The Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Mentor

tenfour will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to tenfour

I honestly can't believe the amount of ignorance and rudeness that has been shown in this forum. There was a driver from one team this last year that required a ramp to get to the controls (he used a wheelchair). Would you consider not letting him play? I hope not! Then why would you consider not allowing someone too short to see over the wall to use a stool?

Go back to the mission statement of FIRST. Isn't it hard to become influenced by the great program if basic participation is disallowed based on disability?
-2003 Phoenix, AZ Regional Semifinalists
-2003 Phoenix, AZ Regional 3rd Seed.
-2002 Los Angeles, CA Regional Semi-Finalists
-2001 Los Angeles, CA Regional Semi-Finalists

FIRST Mantra - When Lawyer-ism fails, Gracious Professionalism Prevails.
(Yes, it is "BCR Orange")
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 01:26 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Ok people, no one is saying that someone shouldnt be allowed to participate because they can't see over the barrier. There's a little bit of a difference between being too short to see above the barrier, and being "a little short" What does "a little short" mean? Well, the average height of a male is approximately 5'10". I would take "a little short" to mean between 5'4" and 5'10".

So, basically, what I (and others) have been trying to say is that if you just arent as tall as everyone else, you cant use something to boost your height up, regardless of whether it will give you an advantage over someone of "average" or taller height.

If someone is short enough that they can't see over the barrier, then obviously FIRST should allow them to be able to stand on something so that they can see the field.

There's a huge difference between being a dwarf, and being a few inches under the average height. Let's all chill out and Im sure we'll find that FIRST will allow an aid in the case of the first situation.

Cory
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 12:16 PM
AKA: Geoff Sensel
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
gsensel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to gsensel Send a message via Yahoo to gsensel

The medical definition of being a short statured (which is actually different being than a dwarf because a dwarf is unproportional) is 5'0" in a male and 4'6" in females.

Andy Baker used me as a positve example at nationals in 2004!!!!!(Now who is the role model DJ????)

I was looking to start a team for my college for next year, but they got hooked up with a local JR High school doing BEST Robotics competition. Has anyone heard of this?
I was previously on the Technokats from 1998- 2002.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
AKA: Steve
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
supersy77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to supersy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez250
What is your legal height?
I am 5ft 2
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 07:37 PM
YA TOAST!
AKA: David Butzin
FRC #0066 (The Flyers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
David66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to David66 Send a message via Yahoo to David66

Here's a good idea. Let's all settle down for a minute....Okay? Good, let's move forward. Arguing about the rules doesn't change them. Fighting doesn't change them-and neither does feeling righteous. So let's end this discussion until FIRST comes back with an answer. Or until someone finds the answer in the archive and posts it. No need to get feisty.

2005 West Michigan Regional Champions with team 107 (Holland Christian High School) and Team 93 (New Apple Corps)

2002 National Champions
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2004, 10:34 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250

I talked to a FIRST Staff/ HEAD REF today, i asked him about the question if short drivers should be able to use a a device to prop them higher up, and heres his answer (*cut down in length). Unless there is a physical disability there should be no reason why a such device would be needed. Part of FIRST is choosing your drive team. Many thoughts and decisions should be placed forward when drivers are selected. One of these are heigth issues. If your team choose a short driver then you choose a short driver. So at the heigth of 5'2", a device to raise your point of vision will not be allowed. Also if you plan on using a device or need a device present please clear it through FIRST and your Regional/event Director prior to the event.

-Michael Dessingue
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: