Go to Post There is no exit strategy in FIRST - RoboMom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
AKA: Foley
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 1396 One-Day Robot

Thats absolutely amazing

so what does the 10hr bot do? I think I see mechanisms for ball collecting but I am not sure.

That's a story that we are going to keep hearing, great job.

FRC #1995: Fatal Error [2007-2009]
FRC #350: Timberlane Robotics [2001-2004]

FRC Volunteer:
2010: Referee [WPI Regional, Mayhem in Merrimack], Robot Inspector [BAE Regional]
2009: Referee [BattleCry 10]
2008: Referee [Connecticut Regional, BattleCry 9, Beantown Blitz, River Rage 12]
2007: Referee [Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 8, River Rage 11]
2006: Referee [UTC Regional, Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 7, River Rage 10]
2005: Referee [Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 6]
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
I just want to say congratulations to this team and all who helped them...
LOL. Dj Vu!
You may not remember (or may not have being around) in 2002 at the NYC Regional at Columbia University venue on Thursday-
Team 713 (Rice HS) had no robot. The only thing in the crate was a naked robot frame. When I open it, I was in shock. The Regional director told me that it was hopeless and to go help someone else.
Team713 already gave up the day before, because on Wed. volunteer dinner, the whole team showed up to volunteer because they said they were not planning to compete since they didnt have a working robot.

BUT....On Thursday, several volunteers, teams and I built a working robot in 6 hours with no end-affecter. It was a true FIRST experience.
I remember begging many teams for spare parts. We also found a construction garbage container just out the school (a gold mine to any FIRSTer!!!!!) and jumped right in looking for wood, electrical boxes and metal!

One of the team that help tremendously WAS 237 Watertown, 522 Mckee and 334 Bklyn Tech and seversal other team. (was that you lecturing the other team?!) I remember stopping at 5pm when the robot was finally moving but your team 237 just kept working on an end-affecter and just wouldnt give up. They kept working on it the next day until team 713s first game. 713 won the Best Play Award for 2002 NYC Regional.
You guys rock.
Please help feed the hungry.

Last edited by Rich Wong : 04-20-2004 at 06:04 PM. Reason: corrected date from 2001 to 2002.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:17 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

A big thank you is in order as well as a large amount of respect.

I have never seen a robot get built in 10hrs. but I am upset that I was unable to see it all happen.

This was a big comeback for that team.

Some Info about 1396 The PyRobots.

This Team is located in Staten Island NY at Tottenville HS. This HS is widely known for its Sports athletics and is constantly in SI local newspapers. This HS is also one of the better schools on SI. Having a new robotics team that has shown its colors the first year involved with FIRST will only make the HS reputation better and I would like to see this Team back for the 2005 season.

T. 1396 has definitely earned all of their awards this year and Good Luck in the 2005 Season.

A Big Thank you goes to all the teams and the Spare Parts people who have helped to get 1396 on its feet.

Just one question remains?

What happened to this 10hr robot. Does 1396 get to keep it or did they have to return all the parts *ponders*?
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

I'd imagine that the electronics were returned, but I guess most of the stuff can't be returned in a good fashion...FIRST games tend to knock the stuffings out of parts, even with a good chassis.

Anyone got info on the robot 1396 was SUPPOSED to have in Atlanta? You know, the one with the six weeks and all that.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

This just proves what Dean talks about every year. Deadlines, Not enough time and resources to do what you have to. And the Gracious Professionalism that makes things just happen. To steal a line from a shoe company, Just Do It!!!

Don't ask how, or why, Just Do It!!!

This is what FIRST represents. This definately needs to be treasured in some form.

I would like to start a new FIRST tradition and nominate Team 1396's Championship Event Robot into the FIRST hall of fame as an Honorary Mention.

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
I'd imagine that the electronics were returned, but I guess most of the stuff can't be returned in a good fashion...FIRST games tend to knock the stuffings out of parts, even with a good chassis.

Anyone got info on the robot 1396 was SUPPOSED to have in Atlanta? You know, the one with the six weeks and all that.
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...&quiet=Verbose

I think the 10-hour bot may rival their 6.5 week bot!

btw- anyone know how they got the new bot home without a crate!

Last edited by Rich Wong : 04-20-2004 at 11:46 AM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
This just proves what Dean talks about every year. Deadlines, Not enough time and resources to do what you have to. And the Gracious Professionalism that makes things just happen. To steal a line from a shoe company, Just Do It!!!

Don't ask how, or why, Just Do It!!!

This is what FIRST represents. This definately needs to be treasured in some form.

I would like to start a new FIRST tradition and nominate Team 1396's Championship Event Robot into the FIRST hall of fame as an Honorary Mention.
or Champsionship Against All Odd Award?
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wong
or Champsionship Against All Odd Award?
Actually, if I ever hit the Powerball (and my first, last, and only ticket for now will be in a month when I turn 18--hey, you've gotta do something you couldn't do the day before, and cigarettes are disgusting), I'd probably create an award for teams that in spite of stuff screwing up left and right for them (see also 1396 in Archimedes--or even 1293 at Palmetto, if you consider the arm) kept on trucking. Dunno of an official name yet...and I guess I'd have to hit the jackpot first, right?
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wong
btw- anyone know how they got the new bot home without a crate!
The crate makes a good story too!

For the crate they made a trip to Home Depot for the parts, but as the primary mentor was just starting to assemble it (alone in the pits during closing ceremonies) a mentor from another team happened by and offered up a spare crate they were just planning to tear apart (the other team had shipped the robot and the tools separately I assume). Team 1396 was packed within a few minutes.

On Saturday they received some of the electronic parts, like the robot controller, express mailed from their original robot and swapped them out, so they could return the borrowed parts, but still have a functioning robot. They got to keep some of the FIRST spare parts.
The robot went home in one piece. The photo at the start of this thread was of the robot as it was before it went into the crate.

The robot has two pneumatic wings that pop out to help herd the balls. During autonomous they would start shoving the mobil goal to block the opponents ball chute. In addition to herding they would also block robots from hanging. It worked better than their original robot simply because of the extra experience they got from building two robots, not that they didn't have other problems. A zip tie got caught in one transmission on Friday and broke part of the plastic housing. It got replaced, thanks again to at least three other teams who had spare parts and labor to contribute.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 04-20-2004 at 08:02 AM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalas
AKA: CrazyBear
FRC #0233

Gabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabe Salas Jr.

I remember talking to them after their practice match on Thursday. I was tugging our team's robot onto our playing field, when one of the drivers ecstatically ran up to me, and said, "Hey do you remember us from New York?" I was like, "Yes! I am surprised to see you guys here! How are you guys doing?" He was like, "You will not believe what happened. They shipped our robot back to New York." (My mouth dropped, I could not think of anything to say) He continued, "Yes we built that robot in eight hours, and we are able to push the movable goal, and even some robots around!" "WOW! You guys better get an award or something. I wish you guys the best of luck!"

They really deserved that award, and yes I agree with Rich Wong by saying that their 10 hour robot does rival their 6.5 week robot. Personally, I think it could beat their 6.5 week robot, but that is just me.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady

That, my friends, is what it is all about. To quote the movie Hardball "I am inspired by your ability to show up." Showing up is half the battle...1396 took it above and beyond. Congrats guys, you are truely inspirational.

-Andy Grady

p.s. Somehow I am not suprised that the team that was able to accomplish this was one of the teams from the NYC Regional. Everyone at that regional was an amazing example of what FIRST is all about...and it carried over in Atlanta.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Grady
That, my friends, is what it is all about. To quote the movie Hardball "I am inspired by your ability to show up." Showing up is half the battle...1396 took it above and beyond. Congrats guys, you are truely inspirational.

-Andy Grady

p.s. Somehow I am not suprised that the team that was able to accomplish this was one of the teams from the NYC Regional. Everyone at that regional was an amazing example of what FIRST is all about...and it carried over in Atlanta.
Now youve done it. just got me all emotional about NYC teams. (can I have a moment by myself please)
Thanks Andy.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

for anyone who wants to see i found a picture of their original robot

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM
How you doin'?!
AKA: Dave Kingsley
FRC #0088 (TJ)
Team Role: Alumni

Pin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pin Man

Honestly that really is unbelievable... I'm having a hard time swallowing the idea that, that is possible and not finishing dead last in your division... That must have been tough for you guys to do... It is amazing!!! I wish I got to see you guys in action... Looks a lot different than your original... GREAT JOB!!!

Attending Bridgewater State College

Shirt collection- 25, 47, 69, 140, 173, 191, 213, 303, 365, 461, 836, (2)862, 885, 888, 1027, (2)1073, 1156.
Shirts in the works-
Shirt Wish List- 45, 48, 61, 67, 84, 86, 95, 103, 111, 126, 175, 190, 233, 236, 716, 870, 871, 1114, and any other team basically
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Jack of all trades...Master of none
AKA: Robert
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
Tazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazlikesrobots
Thumbs up Re: pic: 1396 One-Day Robot

All I have to say is "WOW!" This proves that there is no other sport like FIRST robotic competitions!

A applaud everyone involved in insuring that this team was able to have a robot to compete with!

PS I think you guys should audition for Junkyard wars!
2006 Rookie All-Star - Lone Star Regional
2007 Lone Star Regional Champions
2008 Quarter-finalist - Lone Star Regional
2009 Chairman's Award & Website Award - Dallas Regional
2009 Quarter-finalist - Dallas Regional
2010 - Xerox Creativity Award & Semi-finalist - Dallas Regional
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: