OCCRA
Go to Post Is all your information based on hearsay and miscellaneous posts by other people that don't know what they are talking about? - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Mike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ciance
Re: F stand for Fame in FIRST?

personally, i would rather be famous for my writing. i write in a county paper now, but i hope to become widely known later in life. if i ever become famous with the general public, i will no doubt use that to promote FIRST and it's ideals. i mean, just imagine if somebody like Vin Diesel encouraged all the girls to get into robotics. that would have a big effect. people follow those who are famous, and it is a responsibility of fame to be a good person to follow. that's why we are all so lucky to have dean and dave and all those other people as role models, because they are really people to follow.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Leung
Fame is something inevitable as you get more and more involved with this program, whether you like it or not. I've experienced some of it in the past, people like JVN, Andy Baker, Dave Lavery are among many who got the community's full attention right now.

Just want to know what you think... Do you want to be famous in FIRST? Why or why not? Do you think there are any prices you have you pay for being famous? Maybe some day you will wish to go to a competition without being recognized and just walk around the pit area quietly looking at robots?

All I know is there's no turning back after you've turned famous, nothing short of quitting this wonderful community can get rid of all the attention ;-).

Maybe fame isn't the best thing you can get from this program ;-).

Your thoughts?
I dont think its Fame, I think its more along the lines of the Recognition,
in today's society the bad is always emphisized, in the news reports on TV, on the front page of every paper, but with FIRST, individuals are Recognized for their oustanding efforts in somthing that is Good, i think that its not wrong to hold Dave Lavery or Andy Baker or even That FIRST legend himself, Tom Schindler at a higher level than anyone else, They are Doing Good, they are the ones you find in the little box, on the last page of almost every newspaper.

Just as long as people dont go obsessing over me everything will be okay
and if i ever see I am Mike Schroeder written on peoples backpacks i will probobly freak out and go hide under a table and cry

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 05:01 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
I dont think its Fame, I think its more along the lines of the Recognition,
in today's society the bad is always emphisized, in the news reports on TV, on the front page of every paper, but with FIRST, individuals are Recognized for their oustanding efforts in somthing that is Good, i think that its not wrong to hold Dave Lavery or Andy Baker or even That FIRST legend himself, Tom Schindler at a higher level than anyone else, They are Doing Good, they are the ones you find in the little box, on the last page of almost every newspaper.

Just as long as people dont go obsessing over me everything will be okay
and if i ever see I am Mike Schroeder written on peoples backpacks i will probobly freak out and go hide under a table and cry
Ok I'll tell the whole team to write "I am Mike Schroeder" on their bagpacks

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 05:09 PM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: Mentor

Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

Quote:
Just want to know what you think... Do you want to be famous in FIRST? Why or why not? Do you think there are any prices you have you pay for being famous? Maybe some day you will wish to go to a competition without being recognized and just walk around the pit area quietly looking at robots?
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be famous in FIRST. I would like to be known by people, but not famous per se. Reason being it is kind of like being a celebrity. No privacy, and you're never left alone. I don't think I would be able to stand that.
You have many prices you need to pay. Some of which are:
a) no more privacy
b) no time to yourself
c) can't keep anything to yourself; someone always seems to know
d) you're always ambushed.
Fame isn't necessarily the most blissful thing. I mean, yes you finally get the attention you've wanted, but it really does become the top spot on your list of regrets.
So, as I said, I would rather be known by a few people, like close friends in FIRST, than become a big celebrity in FIRST.
--d0ri

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:12 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of

Just to toss my $0.02 in, one of the things I happen to like about the Chief Delphi community is that at every competition I go to, someone recognises me and comes over to say hi (must be the long, green hair ). I meet someone new, they meet someone new, and it's win/win. Also, if I find someone I recognise, I'll go over and introduce myself. It's one of, IMO, the greatest aspects of FIRST. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who meets new people in this manner.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:41 PM
no team

Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Quote:
Fame is something inevitable as you get more and more involved with this program, whether you like it or not. I've experienced some of it in the past, people like JVN, Andy Baker, Dave Lavery are among many who got the community's full attention right now.

All I know is there's no turning back after you've turned famous, nothing short of quitting this wonderful community can get rid of all the attention ;-).

Maybe fame isn't the best thing you can get from this program ;-).

Your thoughts?
Would you like to be famous? Why not

Price you have to pay for it? Yes, definately, you have to actually do something and make a difference

Fame isnt the best thing you can get from this program? Yes, true.. there's a LOT more you can get from this program

Wheather you like it or not, if you have made a difference in the FIRST community, you will end up being famous, and yes, there is no turning back then.

And being famous doesnt always mean that your privacy has been robbed. If it has, it also means you have people respecting you and helping you wherever you go.

Personally, I have no aims to become famous. I just like this world and want to do the right things.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

i honestly think that being famous in FIRST is honestly pointless....i mean it is nice to get reconized for the time you have put in but in all honesty that is not the case. When looking at people like Dave, Andy, Dean, etc. i can automaticly in my head know exactly what they contributed on a national level for FIRST but other "stars" of chiefdelphi i couldn't tell you for the life of me what they did for first except post alot. FIRST fame in it's present form is just a popularity contest as to who has been around for the longest and who knows the most people.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:00 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

And coming up with really witty stuff!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Fame is a funny thing, you can do nothing and get it, and do everything and get none. For me, it's not fame, but infamy that follows me.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:25 PM
General Manager
no team

Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki

I think the word 'fame' is being misunderstood...

-when one posts a lot on ChiefDelphi and is therefore well known, it's not necessarily fame because people don't have much to say about you
-when one gains a lot of respect through what they post on ChiefDelphi, and they post enough to be remembered by fellow forum members... one is a little closer to fame
-one is famous when they are known for being a good ROLE MODEL by the people who post, and do not post on ChiefDelphi

If one does gain 'fame' through FIRST, it should be used as a networking tool in hopes to leap-frog one's career path. Remember, part of the point of FIRST is to create strong leaders & thinkers who could positively influence the world's technological market.

Last edited by Erin Rapacki : 06-12-2004 at 07:32 PM.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Errr yeah..... My friend Noah said he talked to someone that knew me from Chiefdelphi. That's just creepy.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #???? (Garnet Squadron Alfa)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Rapacki
-one is famous when they are known for being a good ROLE MODEL by the people who post, and do not post on ChiefDelphi
Not to nit-pick, but wouldn't it be "and do not necessarily post on CD?" I mean, there are some darn good role models out here and all who definitely are famous, yet post frequently. Then there's those who are famous and don't post on CD.

Although couldn't it be argued that those who would otherwise be famous and post on CD are yielding a better benefit for the FIRST community at large? I mean, if this is one of the larger FIRST hubs online, it seems that their resources would be spent well here. (I won't say spent better here, since there is a possibility that folks could better spend their resources elsewhere. I guess that depends on the person.)

(disclaimer: all of my words are highly seasoned, in the event I have to eat them.)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung

Its funny how this thread grow so fast in just a few days. This board is much different than the off-season CD forum I've seen in the past few years, for better or worse. Anyway...

I am not really good with using words. When I said fame, I think what I want to mean is lots of people's recognition of you even though they don't really know who you are. That's one of the interesting things I experienced from FIRST. I guess it was kind of nice when people saw my red hair and say "hey you are that guy that posted on that forum..." or "hey, I like your post".

It was nice, but I realized that's not something I want in my life. I found strong friendship with few people much more enjoyable than being known by a lot of people but never really know any of them. Most conversations with people who "know of you" are a lot of obvious things that people talk about all the time, which is nice to know other people's opinion, but doesn't usually get deeper than that.

I used to go around to all the pits in the SVR regional asking teams about their robot, but all together it wasn't as good as chatting with a few people about their team. That's when I decided I would draw back from posting so much in the CD forum, and get to know people in person instead. I think that decision is starting to do some good. IRI and Atlanta was much more interesting than the competitions in the past.

So, think about it. Not everyone share the same opinion about how they want to experience this program we call FIRST. My advice is, don't post for the sake of posting. Go for those meaningful conversations that trigger your thoughts into all kinds of directions that even you can't predict its direction. Experience FIRST from deep within rather than from the surface.

Tom ask why I want to know. The truth is, I don't really know. Perhaps I just want to throw something out in the open and see where the discussion lead to. Now-a-days, I don't have many issues I care particularly about. I figure the smart people will take care of it. I think I enjoy the flow of discussion much more than what's really being said. I guess its kind of like learning a math formula to solve a problem, you do homework just to practice the problem, but you don't particularly have an opinion about how the answer look like.

Maybe this is a right way to use the forum, maybe it isn't. I don't really know. But I think I do enjoy arguing with people whether it is or isn't, no matter what the result of that argument is.

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

Fame? You think its bad being famous...

Between Andy B. and Andy G. being Andy A. has some unspoken expectations put on it.

Seriously folks, living up to the Andy lastinitialhere. name thing is a little rough at times. I find my self lying awake at night trying to think of ways to make the Andy's who have come before me proud.

It's a hard knock life, being an Andy in this world.

-Andy A.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:21 AM
I like my hammer...
no team

Melissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Melissa Nute

Maybe I"m just weird...but I know I would be kinda creeped out if I was one of the "famous" FIRST people. Why? Because no one is any different than anyone else in my eyes. Granted, some people stand out more, but that is because the other people might not have gotten a chance yet to shine. I mean, I rather just have a few close friendships with people from other team than have people just talk to me about stuff they know I've done. When you become "famous", some people view you as different and better; honestly, they should be treated as you would treat anyone else.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: