OCCRA
Go to Post Don't be too arrogant as to think that just because you didn't invent it, it is not useful. - ptan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST-related Organizations
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:37 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
[FVG]:Issues with forum

Sorry if anyone finds this rude, or offensive. but to me, I find the absurd amount of posts related to this videogame on the portal unnecessary, and I'm sure I cant be the only one. Today there's like at least 8 threads for the video game and I know the majority of the site is not interested in the intimate workings of the game.

Brandon: is there any way that all the videogame people can "subscribe" to this forum, and the posts only appear on the portal for them, or they can just be taken off the portal all together?

Thanks,

Cory
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:40 AM
Insert Custom User Title
#0321 (Robolancers)

ZACH P. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZACH P.
Re: [FVG]:Issues with forum

Just go to "Recent Posts Config" in your user options page, and unclick the forum for the video game.

IM me at: zmstr265
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 08:56 AM
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Mike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ciance

maybe we were the reason that brandon added recent posts config...

anyway, i do agree that it may be a little bit overwhelming for people uninterested in this project to see it all over, however the recent post config. should solve this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
Brandon: is there any way that all the videogame people can "subscribe" to this forum, and the posts only appear on the portal for them, or they can just be taken off the portal all together?
i did bring up something like this with brandon a while ago, but nothing ever really came of it... or maybe the recent post config is what came of it... i dunno, but it'll work

Hey, if anybody is particularly pissed off about all this FVG stuff, you can take it out on me - I started it. Just give me a negative rep for this post if you need to get some FVG anger out. just put "fvg anger" as the comment. i wont bring it up or anything. no hard feelings.

Last edited by Mike Ciance : 07-07-2004 at 09:24 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:41 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Thanks a lot, never knew you could do that.

Cory
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

It's new as of yesterday .. this wasn't the complete reason the portal config came about, but it slightly contributed to it.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Martus
It's new as of yesterday .. this wasn't the complete reason the portal config came about, but it slightly contributed to it.
Brandon,
Is there a way you can change the default settings for new accounts (and for guest users not logged in)? Perhaps the default should NOT be "all on"...

I know this website has quite a few "lurkers" and perhaps they would be encouraged to come around more often if there wasn't quite so much "clutter" overwhelming them with things they probably don't care about.

I know that when I've asked certain individuals within FIRST (other mentors, people who post sparingly, etc) why they don't get more involved in these forums, the standard answer is:
"There's too much crap on there, I can't deal with it. It's overwhelming."

Less crap = good.

Just a thought.

JV

Last edited by JVN : 07-07-2004 at 03:02 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
Is there a way you can change the default settings for new accounts (and for guest users not logged in)? Perhaps the default should NOT be "all on"...
Hey, I asked for it to be all on! (It was just general forum for a few hours yesterday)

In reality, maybe a happy medium needs to be found. Perhaps all of the forums in FIRST, Technical, and Competition go in the portal, as well as announcements and Forum Help. A lot of the other forums require some type of knowledge that one would only gain from reading the forums (what is FVG and NEMO would be examples).

Anyway, we should stop cluttering this thread, and move the discussion back into the announcement: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29379
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

I'll probably tone it down to a few of the major (general, technical, competition & their children) forums for those with no preference (or guests). I just have to sit down and do that. Maybe tonight .. or Sunday night .. or next week.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:06 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

I'm hoping that when we get our own server (have we?) that we can run vB on it, or use a members-only wiki instead.

(of course, there is the $$$ issue. vB is either $85/year or $160 once, based on buying one at a time. MediaWiki is, of course, free.)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303
I'm hoping that when we get our own server (have we?) that we can run vB on it, or use a members-only wiki instead.

(of course, there is the $$$ issue. vB is either $85/year or $160 once, based on buying one at a time. MediaWiki is, of course, free.)
Aren't we getting SourceForge?

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:20 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSJosh
Aren't we getting SourceForge?
I was working on that, but got interupted by camp. You want me to do it?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303
I was working on that, but got interupted by camp. You want me to do it?
Sure.

Sorry, I forgot you had camp.

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Miss. Little Long Black Hair
AKA: Nadia Zamora
#1369 (Minotaurs)
Team Role: Leadership

Franchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Franchesca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
Brandon,
I know this website has quite a few "lurkers" and perhaps they would be encouraged to come around more often if there wasn't quite so much "clutter" overwhelming them with things they probably don't care about.
JV
Personally, I haven't post much because since January until today I haven't been able to post for some odd reason. Anyway, I definetly think that it works both ways, this is what I mean:
1) Some people get discouraged to post anything or read any threads because there are some many of them. It can look real busy and overwhelming at times.
But at the same time:
2) Some people (such as myself ) don't really mind looking at all the threads and just kinda browse trough. I think that there's some information or just fun comments that can be found in all of them.

So coming up with a compromise is definetly the way to go. Those that don't want to look at the "clutter", don't have to. And those that don't mind ... well they can keep it the way it has been.

Giving POWER and CHOICE to the people ... is the best route.

I have to agree ... Dorienne Plait and I are quite a DUO in CD!!!

"The true nature of the modern condition - how weak we are, how helpless against ourselves in this proud era of so-called progress." - Max Beckmann.

Always Here to Help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: