OCCRA
Go to Post They improvised. They overcame. They persevered. And they succeeded. ... I cannot remember being more proud of a group of students with which I have been associated. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Renegade of Funk
AKA: Paul Huston
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Paul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Paul H
Attention engineers...What type are you and why?

Well the topic pretty much says it all. What kind of enginner are you and why did you choose that?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Reslife/FIRST/Disneyland Junkie
None #1212 (The Holy Hamsters)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
jpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jpsaul7usa
Post Re: Attention engineers...What type are you and why?

Chemical Engineer. Betcha didn't see that one coming. ;p Strangely enough, our second driver (there's only us two) is also going into chemical engineering. Weird, huh?
2004 AZ Regional Leadership in Control Award, AZ Regional Champion (Woohoo! Thanks 330 and 585!!!), Newton 23rd Seed
2005 AZ Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, AZ Regional Finalist (Thanks 991 and 987!!!)

The Holy Hamster Motto: It's only temporary... unless it works.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:17 PM
AKA: Rafghan
FRC #0935 (RaileRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rafi A is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rafi A Send a message via MSN to Rafi A Send a message via Yahoo to Rafi A
Re: Attention engineers...What type are you and why?

yes, but how/why did you choose chemical?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsaul7usa
Chemical Engineer. Betcha didn't see that one coming. ;p Strangely enough, our second driver (there's only us two) is also going into chemical engineering. Weird, huh?
You are not an engineer yet.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:30 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

Software. It's what my dad does, and it's my hobby (and probably career too).

Who said you needed a degree (or even get paid) to be an engineer?
[edit]IMHO, it's the achievement.[/edit]

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 07-27-2004 at 11:49 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303
Being part of an organization that's expressed purpose is to raise awareness and respect for engineers and their work, I find it amazing that people are so quick to minimize such achievements and elevate themselves to similar, "iconic" status.

If one doesn't need a degree (or a salary) or, say, experience to be an engineer, what is it exactly that makes people like Dave Lavery more admirable than the video store clerk down the street? I bet that clerk has seen MacGyver or something, so what makes Andy Baker more qualified as an engineer than they are?

A season in FIRST does not an engineer make. Not even six seasons will do it.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
What the heck, I'll say it. In my opinion, yes, you do need a degree to be an engineer. Don't trivialize the process, tibulations and effort needed to get an engineering degree. I know very few engineers who do not have an engineering degree. They are few and far between, being exceptions, not the rule. What you said here pretty much insulted the engineers and engineering students who visit these forums.

As for me, I enjoy being a mechanical engineer. Luckily, I knew it early in school. I liked art, math, mechanical drawing, physics, and building things. I really did not understand electronics and computers at an early age, and I had no desire to learn about them... so I gravitated more toward mechanical systems.

Two of my uncles are mechanical engineers, and I was always enthralled with what they did. One worked for Hughes Aircraft (LA), and the other worked for Cal Tech at Edwards AFB. As they told me what they did, I just knew that being an ME was for me.

For college, I decided to go to the University of Evansville. They had many programs that appealed to me at the time. While in college, I got a co-op job at General Electric Plastics, working as a production and process engineer. I REALLY did not like process engineering (analyzing and tweaking the process for improvements), but I liked the odd jobs I got while designing mechanisms to improve the production line. I recall making a simple linkage that released pellets into 50 lb. bags. It was a simple design, but I really enjoyed creating it.

After college, I got a job at Delphi (formerly Delco Electronics) and I have been working in the same department for 13 years. It's a fun job. I get to sit behind a computer and design automated machinery for Delphi's production lines. Our design department works with a UAW skilled-trades shop right across the hallway, and we make some pretty neat stuff. These designers and tradesmen have been making neat machines for many, many years. Many types of automated machines that are on the market today (Scara robots, circuit board screen printers, automated handlers, flip chip placement machines, etc.) were developed for Delphi's in-house use by this department, many years before other companies started selling them as standard equipment.

So, my usual day is this:
  • check email
  • do CAD design work (Unigraphics), both design and drafting
  • do engineering investigations and evaluations (search for parts and suppliers, make calculations, specifications, etc.)
  • check on project build status in the shop
  • converse with boss and co-workers (numerous, informal design reviews)
  • talk to production people (my customers)
  • talk to suppliers (negotiate, evaluate parts, etc.)
  • do FIRST stuff when I can (TechnoKats, check CD Forums, etc.)... like today we had a demo during lunch

Anyway... that is what I do and why I do it. What I like the best is sitting down and creating a new mechanism to address a "problem" - just like designing a FIRST robot.

Andy B.

Last edited by Andy Baker : 07-28-2004 at 10:52 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 12:30 AM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

[quote=Astronouth7303]Who said you needed a degree (or even get paid) to be an engineer?[quote]
Before this gets really out of hand, let me explain that a little.

I did not mean degrade anyone's hard work (or cash) that is required to get any degree. But at the same time, there are many capable engineers who are not formally taught, are learning, and/or are just too young to have a degree or a salery (I'm sure quite a few people in FIRST fall into one of these three).

If I were an employer, I would hire the guy with a degree. But how much of it can be self-taught and/or mentored? I have 0 formal schooling in what I do, but as a software engineer I am capable and becoming more so every day. I may not measure up to the guy with a PhD in Computer Science, but I'm doing pretty well, I think.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

[quote=Astronouth7303][quote=Astronouth7303]Who said you needed a degree (or even get paid) to be an engineer?
Quote:

I did not mean degrade anyone's hard work (or cash) that is required to get any degree. But at the same time, there are many capable engineers who are not formally taught, are learning, and/or are just too young to have a degree or a salery (I'm sure quite a few people in FIRST fall into one of these three).

If I were an employer, I would hire the guy with a degree. But how much of it can be self-taught and/or mentored? I have 0 formal schooling in what I do, but as a software engineer I am capable and becoming more so every day. I may not measure up to the guy with a PhD in Computer Science, but I'm doing pretty well, I think.

But the fact remains that until you hold your degree in your hot little hand, you *are not* a real engineer. I totally agree with Andy. To see 15 year old kids going around the forums calling themselves engineers (Im not trying to pick on you or single you out) is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, and really does degrade all the work that they did to get where they are.

Heck, I know CPR and basic first aid, but I dont go around telling people I'm an EMT.

and personally, I would be VERY scared if I knew a building, car, or airplane had been designed by an "engineer" who possesses no degree, or has ever had formal training, and was "self taught".

$0.02

Cory
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

If you REALLY want to get technical... Legally, in most states and definitely in NJ, the only real engineer is one who holds a professional engineering (PE)license. There are certain implications to what a PE can do, and situations where a PE is required. That being said, I don't have one but have a bachelors and masters degree in engineering and think I can claim to be one.

On the original topic. I'm a Computer engineer by training, a Network and Telecommunications engineer by more training (i.e. Masters degree), and a Programmer by trade. I have to say my desire goes back to HS where I was luck enough to work in the local computer store in town. (in the days when a small 3 person store could exist before Best buy, the internet, etc) My boss was a person who enjoyed showing me things and getting me to help him. I have to credit him with fostering my enjoyment in electronics and computers that led to me study engineering in college.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:46 AM
no team (FIRST)

Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Collin Fultz

So...not to be a party pooper...but in response to the thread topic

Andy Baker is a mechanical engineer (see post for what he does and reason why he likes it)

What type of engineer are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
I really did not understand electronics and computers at an early age
They had electricity back then?

I now have a twitter, apparently I am the latter...

http://www.twitter.com/iluvcollinfultz

Collin Fultz
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:54 AM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly

Dude, you are 16 and still in high school (I would assume unless you are some genious that has already graduated from college but I dont see that as the case at all). You are not an engineer. Just because your dad may be a software engineer does not automagically make you a software engineer as well. You are young and still have a long while before you mature.

Andy Baker = engineer; Astronouth7303 = student.

[quote=Astronouth7303][quote=Astronouth7303]Who said you needed a degree (or even get paid) to be an engineer?
Quote:

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

I am a mechanical engineer.

I received my Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) in Aeronautical Engineering from the United States Air Force Academy, a Master's of Science (M.S.) degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan, and a M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan.

My first job was for the U.S. Air Force doing wind tunnel testing for what is now known as the F-22 at Wright-Patterson AFB. After receiving my Master's degree, I worked for Lockheed-Martin in Sunnyvale, Ca. doing spacecraft design for the Air Force. I was transferred from Sunnyvale to Denver, Co. to work on NASA spacecraft; specifically, the Stardust Mission propulsion system design. Missing the MidWest, I came back to Michigan to work for FANUC Robotics (my current job). I have been with FANUC for 7 years and I love every minute of it!

My typical day is much like Andy's, except I do a lot of mechanical and dynamic analysis of robot motion in addition to design work. I also get to test new robot developments for dynamic stability and accuracy. Lately, I have been able to finally use my fluid dynamics knowledge acquired while attaining my Aerospace degree because our group has been doing paint applicator development. We now develop the robots and the painting systems to paint automobile interiors and exteriors.

I have known since I was about 12 that I wanted to make complicated mechanisms. I, like Andy, wasn't into the electrical side of things so mechanical engineering was for me. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably try to double major in controls and either mechanical or electrical engineering.

By the way; if you are in high school or in your first few years of College (studying engeineering), in my eyes you are not an engineer. I wish I could be more PC, but it is black and white to me.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't think you get it.

You don't measure up to someone with a PhD in Computer Science, and you aren't doing well in comparison. It takes years of hard work to get a PhD. You need to discard a chunk of your life to reach that point. Say goodbye to your friends, family and hobbies for a while, because your life is consumed by your thesis. A PhD for some people is there entire life's work. My Father finished his when he was 34. Just because you've written a couple of programs here and there does not put you on par with someone who has written a thesis. This is like a 15 year old saying, "ooh, I've finished all the experiments that came with my chemistry set, I'm a chemist now."

The main goal of FIRST was to change our culture to a point where young people looked up to engineers as role models in the way they currently look up to athletes. How many little leaguers out there have the audacity to compare themselves to Derek Jeter and say "Oh yeah, I'm almost there". This whole attitude is ridiculously insulting to all the engineers in the forum.

Oh and to be technical, having a PhD in Computer Science doesn't make you an engineer either. Becoming a member of a society Professional Engineers does (In most states and provinces). By taking that oath, you're taking on a huge ethical responsibility. This is a large distinction.

You may be on a path to becoming a fine engineer, but you still have a bit of time before you can call yourself one. You're eagnerness and enthusiasm is certainly admirable, but remember it's a long road.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 08:12 AM
FRC #0030

Venkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to beholdVenkatesh is a splendid one to behold

"I have learned that engineering is not just creativity. It is not just tinkering with ideas, but rather, a system by which a professional product can be created and documented."

That comes from the esteemed Dr.Christoe's (aka Dr.Poe) PoE class. To those of you who know what Project Lead the Way is, you know what PoE is. Dr.Poe spent 23 years in engineering at Bell Labs, and before that he was a weapons engineer for a number of years.

At any rate, I can't call anyone without a degree an engineer. I can't even call some people with degrees engineers, as they would more properly fall into the categories of tinkerers and inventors. As Mr.Baker pointed out earlier, a lot of his time is spent in procedures supporting his inventing, not his inventing alone. I won't say that the video game guy down the street is incompetent. He might have incredible talents with, say programming. He might have drafted up parts of the Linux kernel. None of that is impossible or even unheard of. Or if you follow Slashdot, recently they ran a story on a 60-odd year old Afghan man, who had invented many, many things to help people around him. He had no formal training, and yet was able to design radios. I would be very impressed to meet him, but I still woundn't call him an engineer. I guess it all depends on how you define an "engineer".

Before I started studying to become an EMT, I had very little respect for the area. Not because I thought that their work was so easy. Because I didn't know the scope of the field. Now it is a completely different matter. I now realize how little I know. I know now that (in NJ) most of what I can do is, "oxygen and transport, oxygen and transport". I realize that Paramedics are awesome, for their heart rhythm monitoring, intubation, and narcane. (In NJ, we don't have any levels in between EMT-B and EMT-P).

Engineering is a professional field. Tinkering is a hobbyist one. Many FIRST teams I know of are engaged in the business of tinkering, not engineering. I don't say that that is a bad thing or a good thing. Its just that they are separate. One can lead into the other, a master mechanical tinkerer might become a mechanical engineer through schooling/training. But they are separated by the vast abyss of obtuse and painful subjects, like Rigid Body Dynamics, Mechatronic Systems, Lagrangian Dynamics, Ballistics, and other complex fields.

The one thing I always loved about computers was the fact that one guy in the corner of his basement could *theoretically* write programs just as well as a full professional team. After learning more of PHP and perl, and meeting a monster called PHPTAL, I discarded those notions. I can write programs, but I am by no means a programmer. I can use a sledgehammer, but I am by no means a carpenter.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 07-28-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: