Go to Post They see us come into school looking like zombies, and they know that some people start smelling like chain lube and such...but for the most part, they don't realize that for a lot of us, there is a deep commitment to our team that we do a very large amount of work for that team. - JakeGallagher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady
Question of the Week!!! (9/3/04)

Hi everyone. Time once again for another (late) Question of the Week...

Question of the Week (9/3/04):

Other than your own team, if you could spend a year on one team, who would it be, and why?

As always you can suggest questions through me by e-mail (Skrach42@aol.com), AIM (QuietRiverRage1), or PM.

Have fun!
-Andy Grady
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question of the Week!!! (9/3/04)

I guess I'd be interested in spending a year on a rookie team. I could be the Ghost of Seasons Past. (yeah, the reference doesn't work so well since the teams haven't had a past, but bear with me.)

But barring that, I'd be interested in working with 1398 (Keenan HS here in Columbia). These kids came out of nowhere and swept up all of these awards (Imagery at Peachtree and Rookie All-Star at Palmetto), not to mention they've got this sheer energy that rivals that of many veteran teams. (I could hear them quite well on Archimedes. And they were in Curie!) I just can't say enough good things about them...they're going to go places in FIRST.

As for a more veteran team, I can't say for sure. There are just so many teams who have done so well over the years that it's hard to say I could learn more from one than the other. And then there's the question of what I'd want to learn. If I wanted more experience for the robots, I'd go with 71 or 237, both of which can build simply mind-blowing robots. For the inspiration stuff? 47, hands down.

Oh, wait. You wanted one. I'll get back to you on that.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 05:05 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

At this point right now, i am very happy with my own team. My team gives every single of us every oppurtunity that we are willing to accept. but if i had to be on any other team other than mine... i would love to work with Swampthing (179) or SPAM (180).. they are both sister teams with a lot of inspiration. Just not working with their own team, they go out to community and help others. Another team that i would love to be on is 1083. only in 2 years they have gained a lot of reputation. thats just the florida teams. other than that i can point out several teams out in the whole nation i would LOVE to work with. First choice being Technokats (45), other that that team i would go for 25, 33, 71, 234, 236 and there are probably many more great teams. Yes i do know that the question asks for one team, but its really hard to choose only 1 of them out of over 900 teams...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

They have obviously figuered out something special. I want to learn from them.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

I'm with Dave.

They're an awesome bunch of people who do crazy stuff every year.

Too bad I didnt go to SJSU (Not really)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 06:24 PM
#DecadeofDelicious
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt_Kaplan1902

Just like Arefin, I cannot be any happier with my own team right now. However, if given the oppurtunity to work with another I would go with team 233. They are a team that always comes up with amazing robots, has great spirit, and always show gracious professionalism. Out of Florida, I would chose team 111. It would be really interesting to see how another Motorola team does things different from my own team, and they build amazing robots as well.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

Other than my own team...I would probably want to be on 71 or 111 just because their teams seem to be really cool! But the winner for me is 234. They are a team that "silently" takes over a competition. (Such as 2004 IRI.) Other then that, from what I have seen they always play clean and never purposely do something that not gracious or professional.

-Kyle

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Miss. Little Long Black Hair
AKA: Nadia Zamora
#1369 (Minotaurs)
Team Role: Leadership

Franchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Franchesca

One team that I would probably be interested in joining is team 25. Just because, I've seen the team (not just the robot) in "action" before and they seem to be the type of team where I would fit in quite nicely and people that I would get along with. I also already have friends from that team which is pretty cool.

(But who am I kidding, the real reason is that I want that "oh so colorful" shirt they have )

Anyway, there are a lot of great teams in FIRST and for me ... it doesn't matter as much what team I'm in ... just as long as I'm still in FIRST.

I have to agree ... Dorienne Plait and I are quite a DUO in CD!!!

"The true nature of the modern condition - how weak we are, how helpless against ourselves in this proud era of so-called progress." - Max Beckmann.

Always Here to Help
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:03 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

I'd like to join MOE so I could learn how to motivate the students into having team spirit (and it always looks like they are having fun!)...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:45 PM
falling can be fun
AKA: Heidi Foster
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

MissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really give you a number because I don't know a number, but I know there are teams out there who fit the description for a team I would choose to be on other than my own: I would want to be on a team from a low-income community, inner-city or boondocks, a team comprised of kids who really need to know, that despite being labeled "lower class", their worth is priceless. Winning a competition is great, but seeing kids who never thought they had a chance before suddenly discover a brand new future would be the most amazing experience.

Heidi
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Blasphemy! No, just kidding...

Well, I never really thought about it. I don't think I can survive on another team as well as I can on 384. I guess we have something special here.

So, no, there is not another team I would be on this year.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 09:53 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

234, 254, 45, 222, sooooo many teams out there to learn from

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

i want to spend a year on 103, they are an amazingly well oiled machine the go to competitions and know exactly what to do it amazes me

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute

I would honestly love to be on ChiefDelphi.

To be tutored by the great Dr. Joe, the Mikes, and to have the team spirit they are capable of would be a dream come true. I'm very fond of that team from Pontiac, yes, indeed. P.S. - There's a whole handful of guys on there that more than deserve the WFA, and I am a pretty good writing tutor.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-04-2004, 12:17 AM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)

Rookie Year: 2003
Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Grady
Question of the Week (9/3/04):

Other than your own team, if you could spend a year on one team, who would it be, and why?
I don't think I would switch teams. I am extremely happy on my team, and there's no other team I'd rather be in.
But if I had to choose, I guess I'd go for a team that has struggles, has few students, is maybe a rookie team, that needs direction, etc. I find it to be a challenge, and different from the team I'm on. I mean, sure, we all have struggles, even veteran teams. But I find that newer teams have bigger and more difficult struggles and problems. I figure any struggling, hard working rookie/new team. =)
--Dori

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: