Go to Post Life isn't a set track: you have to go out and make your own path. - Greg Marra [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2005, 04:37 AM

Sleepyrook is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My team has close to no dedication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaina
hey all,

This year has been very difficult for me. I am the only student who has been on my team for more than one season. And even current seniors who were involved last year mainly helped at the end of the season, so they don't know a whole lot about building a robot.

I think I have about 6 new members who are the slightest bit enthusiastic about FIRST (they're all freshmen, so that kind of makes me optimistic for 2008, but that's not my point). I was the only upper-classman (out of 9) at my team's kickoff party. Then later some mentors showed up, and we strategized while the freshmen played video games.

It's not like I don't tell my team how the build season works. I send out at least 2 emails to the robotics list (yay for technology schools) every day. Whether we meet at lunch or after school most people don't show up. Yesterday we were supposed to have a brainstorming session yesterday and I was the only one there. It was extremely disappointing.

We currently don't have an engineering mentor. The engineer who owns our workspace is leaving on Monday to be in England for 3 weeks. I'm sure he'll let us access our workspace but it's going to be a struggle to get any good designs without an expert opinion. And it seems like my team just wants to sit around until he gets back!

What disappoints me the most is how my teachers don't want to spend any time outside of school to work on this. I thought they were here to help us?

A 3-day weekend is coming up and we'll only be meeting one of those days. I really wanted to have a running robot by the end of the weekend. But we can't do that because we don't have a) a workspace or b) adult supervision. On Monday we are going to use a kid's garage to work and that's it. Hopefully we'll get our workspace back by Wednesday.

How can I convince my team that I can't do this by myself? I want them to know what FIRST is and what build season is like, but it seems like none of them are interested enough. I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. What I've said here is definitely not a first thought. For anybody who has read all of this, I appreciate you 'listening' and hopefully you could give me some advice.

Have a good MLK weekend

-Alaina

Honestly, I think you're pittying yourself too much. Many times have no mentors, and no teacher assistance and the robots are built by a few dedicated indidividuals with most of the team coming and going as they please and only offering a bit of help. After leading a team 2 years and helping out a third, I realized the reason people don't show up is b/c they usually don't have anything to do or feel like they can't do it. If you can figure out a way to make people busy all the time and make them feel like they've accomplished something, they will usually stick around. In the long run though, you don't want people who aren't that excited about the whole proceess showing up b/c they just provide a distraction to the rest of the team.

In order to get around the lack of adult supervision, I had everyone sign agreements that essentially negaited the effects of having adult supervision, and if it's of any consolation, our "teacher sponsor" literally did nothing throughout the entire competition, he didn't even go to the local kickoff and every year we had to convince the people running it to let 2 kids to sign for the parts. Just know that it could be worse.

Also, having a running robot by the first weekend of the competition is probably a bad idea since it would have been designed/thoughtout all that well and completely *unless you're just talking about making the drive kit/chassis that came with the parts

Anyways, goodluck with inspiring the team. Lead by example, and don't schedule unneccsary and annoying meetings, b/c people would get tired of showing up and doing nothing.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
It's all about the math.
AKA: Nick Lee
FRC #0696

fabbuki is a jewel in the roughfabbuki is a jewel in the roughfabbuki is a jewel in the rough

My team is very dedicated. Why? Well, for one we have a very vigorous acceptance process. Only the most interested students are allowed into Robotics, and they have to show their interest throughout one school year by entering into engineering contests and etc.

It's sad to hear your team is not dedicated. Try to make meetings fun and offer lunches to them or something. Good luck. Find any teacher who will help you. Find a physics teacher.

-fabbuki
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
AKA: Rumi
None #1258 (Celetor)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2005
DDRAngelKurumi will become famous soon enoughDDRAngelKurumi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to DDRAngelKurumi Send a message via MSN to DDRAngelKurumi Send a message via Yahoo to DDRAngelKurumi

This is my first year, but I am one of three upper classmen on the team. The rest of them are freshmen who think we are about to compete in Robot Wars

"Let's build spikes!" *rolls eyes* How about not! ANyways, good luck!
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
FRC #0968 (RAWC)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Gary C will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Gary C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaina

I think I have about 6 new members who are the slightest bit enthusiastic about FIRST (they're all freshmen, so that kind of makes me optimistic for 2008, but that's not my point). I was the only upper-classman (out of 9) at my team's kickoff party. Then later some mentors showed up, and we strategized while the freshmen played video games.

-Alaina
Our team has very few seniors or even people who have been here over one season, or even seen one real competition, I'm a freshman myself. Our programmer is a freshman, our treasurer is a freshman, and our vice president has never seen any competition. We have problems in keeping people busy, so what we do is that we have to do lists when there is nothing else to do.

-Gary
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 07:20 PM
jthm
AKA: COLESLAW
#0358 (EAGLES)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2000
shotgunking777 is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to shotgunking777
Unhappy Re: My team has close to no dedication

i don't blame you a lot of team meber's don't have real dedication. and honestly nither do i. why should i i do nothing for the team een when i try and no one likes me. im so unwanted on my team. );
humankind cannot gain anything without first giving somthing to return. to obtain, somthing of equal value must be lost. that is the alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. in those days, we really bleieved that to be the world's one, and only, truth.

"There's a saying, 'Every man is put on Earth condemned to die, time and method of execution unknown.' Perhaps this is as it should be. Case in point: Walter Bedeker, lately deceased, a little man with such a yen to live. Beaten by the Devil, by his own boredom, and by the scheme of things in this, the Twilight Zone."

D-Day: look the war is over Wormer dropped the bomb.

Bluto: What? Over? did you say over hey nothing is over until we say it is was it over when the german's bombed pearl harbor: Hell no.

Otter: germans?

Boone: forget it he's rolling.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunking777
i don't blame you a lot of team meber's don't have real dedication. and honestly nither do i. why should i i do nothing for the team een when i try and no one likes me. im so unwanted on my team. );
I like you, otherwise I wouldn't give you rides all the time.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 01-19-2005 at 08:27 PM.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Haldir 122690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: My team has close to no dedication

Quote:
Tom, don't worry. I'm behind you 100%. Besides, only some of the people are uninspired. Inspiring them can be your job. I'm so gratefull of you placing this request, for it is on the hearts of many of our team too.

Just kidding.

That comment was uncalled for and not true, Tom.

Last edited by Haldir 122690 : 01-19-2005 at 08:37 PM.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
jthm
#0358 (EAGLES)

Thumbs down Re: My team has close to no dedication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldir 122690
Tom, don't worry. I'm behind you 100%. Besides, only some of the people are uninspired. Inspiring them can be your job. I'm so gratefull of you placing this request, for it is on the hearts of many of our team too.

Just kidding.

That comment was uncalled for and not true, Tom.

im not really the type of person that really can or wants to inspire other people. its never been anypart of a strong point for me. and its true i am inspired but... after a while looking at chiefdelpgi.com all day in school when your bored and then looking at it again and again at roboics it gets kinda boring. and i really don't think their is a lot of respect for me in the room by a few people(not saying any names::ill be nice: but like its starting to be like im just going to like snap and start breaking things(not the robot) but like i went to the old hospital on 347 to takeout some of my anger and i broke 4 windows with my fist. i just feel like i can't do it any more thats why ive been leaving early. :|
humankind cannot gain anything without first giving somthing to return. to obtain, somthing of equal value must be lost. that is the alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. in those days, we really bleieved that to be the world's one, and only, truth.

"There's a saying, 'Every man is put on Earth condemned to die, time and method of execution unknown.' Perhaps this is as it should be. Case in point: Walter Bedeker, lately deceased, a little man with such a yen to live. Beaten by the Devil, by his own boredom, and by the scheme of things in this, the Twilight Zone."

Bluto: What? Over? did you say over hey nothing is over until we say it is was it over when the german's bombed pearl harbor: Hell no.

#54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:27 PM
jthm
#0358 (EAGLES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod
I like you, otherwise I wouldn't give you rides all the time.

i know you do mr. mcleod and thanks it means a lot to me. but come back and read my other replay to the guy under you.

#55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:47 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunking777

You might think that your team doesnt want you, but truly even if its a bit, your team does want you or they would have made you quit the team a long time ago.

This is coming from my own experience (from the past 4 years I have been in FIRST), Are you in it because of your team wanting you or are you in it because of who you are? Dont give up, because that is when you lose what you have. FIRST is the best experience that I have had throughout my entire life and there is no way, ANYONE can make me quit FIRST.

-Arefin.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:50 AM
College Student
AKA: Pat Cleary
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
patTeam241 will become famous soon enoughpatTeam241 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to patTeam241

Just a thought I had. The biggest attraction for me as a freshman (I'm now a senior) was seeing the previous years robot run around. Do you have one, if so, let the kids drive it to get them interested, also, if you have the kitbot done, let them drive that. Then, once they are somewhat excited, pull off the robot controllers (if you can) and tell them they can drive again when the robot is done. I don't know if it will work, but it might.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
J = Pf - Po
FRC #0814 (Megaforce Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2003
Alaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Alaina

Hello again!

Well, since the season is officially over for my team, I thought that some people might want to hear about how we ended up.

We went to the Sacramento regional and did pretty good. We took 7 students (3 freshies and 4 seniors), 2 teachers, 1 engineer/dad and 1 college mentor. We didn't win any awards or anything, but we did end up in 6th place, and made it to the semi-finals. None of us were expecting to be that successful. I mean, we just had a dull kit-bot with a finecky arm. I guess we just had good drivers! We spent every night at the hotel "bonding." And by "bonding" I mean playing Cranium. It was a lot of fun.

For a few weeks we didn't really do anything as a group. We made $108 on a "Dine and Donate" fundraiser last week. And yesterday we had a party at Anna's house. It was great because Anna's family is so fun and creative--they have a huge trampline, a tight-rope, etc. Anna's Dad even brought out 2 RC cars and made a course around the yard so we could race. But the driver was blindfolded and had a partner to instruct them.

After all the fun we watched videos from Sacramento and brainstormed on fundraising/publicisizing ourselves. Mr. Bozeday is a natural at conducting brainstorming sessions...

After brainstorming we finalized the party with "awards." Actually they were the participation medals from the regional. We handed them out by going around the room, giving thanks to the person for whatever contribution he/she gave to the team, and then giving them the medal. It was really emotional for me, (I'm really surprised I didn't cry!) because everyone that was there worked so hard and I'm so grateful for their participation. We're all best friends and I think I'm right when I say this is the tightest team Napa has ever had. And I can't wait to officially be a mentor in the seasons to come.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Old
AKA: Jack Nowakowski
no team
Team Role: Mentor

JackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JackN Send a message via Skype™ to JackN

Do you think you will ever have this problem again?
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Joshua Hunnings
AKA: Fork
FRC #0233 (the pink team)
Team Role: Alumni

Masterfork is a jewel in the roughMasterfork is a jewel in the roughMasterfork is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Masterfork Send a message via MSN to Masterfork
Red face Re: My team has close to no dedication

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningQuestion
Alaina,
I am very sorry to hear that this is happening to your team.
A few things regrading this issue I have posted here.
However, that situation was slightly different than yours.

If I were in your position, I would do two things... give them a lecture and a reality check (like Bharat said, not overly negative), and take a few actions of my own.

Lecture:

I think that your team is at a point where everyone can either start getting motivated and organized now, or not be able to have a season at all. If you are the only one on your team who is dedicated to make it happen, then most likely it won't (Not to say that you can't take on alot, because you already are, but FIRST is designed to be a team effort! There is no way only one person can do it by themselves!).

If I were the one saying this lecture, here is how it would go:

"This team is at a turning point. In order for us to have a season, we need to either come together as a group and focus on this, or we will not be competing at all. I know that you can make this happen if you want to, but only if you want to.

You need to make a choice about your personal priorities. If you want to get this team together, you MUST communicate with me. This means that you need to reply when I email you. This means that you need to show up to meetings when you say that you will. If you know that you are not going to dedicate yourself to this team and to this effort, then you shouldn't be here. This also means that you can't be doing things like playing video games while we need to get work done. I know that you can improve this, but I want you to realize that things have got to change if we are to pull through this year."

Actions:

As for getting your robot complete, why don't you start out by having them build the kitbot and then work from there? It can be assembled quite quickly, and may be a good starting point to get them motivated. you can even try to assign them roles for the different aspects of the robots construction...roles are good because they give a more focused and dynamic feel to the group.

Also try to assign deadlines for the completion of certain tasks. Deadlines will give your team a better sense for the urgency of the situation.

Above all, make it clear that it is ultimately their choice; only they can save the team. If they choose not to, then you may be forced to let go of the team for a year. But I would rather have no team at all than be faced with the frustrating task of trying to do it all by myself.

Avoid defeatism however; add some optimism to your conduct with them by making it clear that they CAN do this... they DO have the capability to pull this off, and it is not too late to change things for the better. All they need to do is focus. Once they are focused, anything is possible.

Hope this helps. Please continue to update us on your team's progress.

-- Jaine
well we had that same sort of problem happen to our band you have to shock them to reality by either not letting them go to the competitions or by kicking them out of the team and recruiting better more wanting to work kids by just telling all the people you know and just tell them if they want to be on the team they must spend so much hours on the robot during the build season and come to all the meetings

that should seed out the slackers that just waste time

2007 World Championship Finalist thank you 71 and 179
2007 Archimedes undefeated Champions thanks 179 and 71
2007 Florida regional semifinalist thanks 180 and 1889
2007 Florida regional Spirit Award
2006 Archimedes Division Finalist
2006 Boston Champions
2005 UCF Regional champions thanks 1592 and 179
2005 Colorado Regional champions thanks 118 and 935
2005 Colorado Regional Chairmans Award
IRI 2005 - Champion thanks to 33 and 868 - it was a GREAT event
2005 World Championship - GM Industrial Design