OCCRA
Go to Post it's not because the kids look up to him that [Dave] gets picked on, it's really because it's just so much fun. - MissInformation [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Mentor
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics Team)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Hospodor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Andrew Hospodor Send a message via AIM to Andrew Hospodor Send a message via MSN to Andrew Hospodor Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Hospodor
Left Handed Joystick

Does anyone know where to get the left handed version of the white joystick (the one in the kit with the 4 buttons and top hat)?

I'm working on a control system for lefties so that the lefties on the team have a chance at driving.

Thanks
andrew@hospodor.com

1072 2005 Season
Sacramento Regional Champion
Judges Award - Silicon Valley Regional
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman
Re: Left Handed Joystick

no i dea, shadow flame has posted in the cdswap for one as well... i dont think they exist ... maybe first might be able to sort it out for next year if you contact them lol...

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:13 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Agreed, I'm fairly certain there in no such animal.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

I think that means that left handed people are out doing interesting things instead of playing video games?!?

If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body then left handers are the only ones in "their right mind".
www.wildstang.org
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

lol...

I'm not sure on the rules about joystick, but i know yo ucan get some pretty cheap nice joysticks.... like the lovely saitek ones, and i believe they are customisable

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Currently foraging for food..
AKA: Doug
no team

i_am_Doug has a spectacular aura abouti_am_Doug has a spectacular aura abouti_am_Doug has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to i_am_Doug Send a message via MSN to i_am_Doug Send a message via Yahoo to i_am_Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hospodor
Does anyone know where to get the left handed version of the white joystick (the one in the kit with the 4 buttons and top hat)?

I'm working on a control system for lefties so that the lefties on the team have a chance at driving.

Thanks
y in the first place give you 2 left sticks?

id luv to knoow
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:25 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Keep in mind it needs to be a joystick that utilizes the gameport, not USB, which pretty much all the current generation joysticks use.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

If somebody can generate a "point cloud" of the surfaces of one of the current sitcks, inside and out, I'm pretty sure I can reverse engineer them well enough to create a mirror image model and then turn that into a part. You would have to put all the buttons and such back together yourself though.

A point cloud is a collection of points that represent a surface or surfaces. They are often used in reverse engineering or to translate the designer's hand shaped prototype into a CAD model. I have access to the equipment to build the prototype and CAD. But I do not have access to the sort of scanning equipment required to generate the point cloud. If somebody out there does, and is willing to work co-operatively, then we can solve this problem. If the demand is really high, like 50 or more teams wanting left-handed sticks, then I might just take ours apart and pay somebody to generate the cloud. With some of the laser systems out there, it would just take a few minutes. But if I have to do that, then I will of course require some small compensation.

I have been planning to pursue this anyway, but while the time you can spend working on your robot is limited, the time to work on your OI is not (unless I missed something in the rules). So I have filed this effort under "things to do after the robot ships".

"Who is John Galt?"
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:48 PM
AKA: matt
#0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Driver

melmo is on a distinguished road

the black ones with red buttons from a few years back can still be used i think. Its ergonomics don't favor righties or lefties

that is what we used last year

i am a lefty, but i use my right hand to drive. I don't really know why
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
If somebody can generate a "point cloud" of the surfaces of one of the current sitcks, inside and out, I'm pretty sure I can reverse engineer them well enough to create a mirror image model and then turn that into a part. You would have to put all the buttons and such back together yourself though.

A point cloud is a collection of points that represent a surface or surfaces. They are often used in reverse engineering or to translate the designer's hand shaped prototype into a CAD model. I have access to the equipment to build the prototype and CAD. But I do not have access to the sort of scanning equipment required to generate the point cloud. If somebody out there does, and is willing to work co-operatively, then we can solve this problem. If the demand is really high, like 50 or more teams wanting left-handed sticks, then I might just take ours apart and pay somebody to generate the cloud. With some of the laser systems out there, it would just take a few minutes. But if I have to do that, then I will of course require some small compensation.

I have been planning to pursue this anyway, but while the time you can spend working on your robot is limited, the time to work on your OI is not (unless I missed something in the rules). So I have filed this effort under "things to do after the robot ships".
I'm pretty sure you could make an accurate (enough) model with a pair of calipers and 3d studio max. How are you planning to turn the mesh into a part? Some sort of rapid prototyping machine?

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

This is a great excuse to build your own 3d scanner.

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:02 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lobovsky
How are you planning to turn the mesh into a part? Some sort of rapid prototyping machine?
Exactly.

Through work I have access to an SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) machine. I can get 1 or 2 of something done for free by putting it in the extra space around the money jobs. If I have to build a lot of something, but not enough to make injection molding profitable, then I can rent time at a commercial service. For large numbers of small parts SLS can be affordable on a per part basis, if the parts are packed tightly.

While the calipers and 3d Studio approach might produce a usable product, it would take a lot of work to get it right. A laser scan like phrontist mentioned takes minutes and all of the holes at strange angles will be properly positioned. Why do it the hard way if you don't have too?

"Who is John Galt?"
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:28 AM
#1486 (Knights Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

theCowboyKnight is on a distinguished road

Quickshot makes some pretty nice lefty gameport joysticks. I live in canada, so its a huge pain getting them up here, but you shouldnet have any trouble. You are looking for the GenX series (I think thats where I remember seeing them). linky
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Hmm..now what?
FRC #1138 (Eagle Engineering)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Jeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K. Send a message via MSN to Jeff K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH

Ya you can just make a custom controller case by taking one apart and just put all of the buttons and other such stuff back into it mirroring the right one and should work perfectly, unless you sever a connection or something like that. That would look really nice and unique, also if you make it out of aluminum, which would probably be heavier, but also shinier. But good luck trying to find a left handed joy stick.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Slashdot Fanatic
AKA: Kevin Cheng
#0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Webmaster

plutonium83 can only hope to improve

If you really want to, you can take a dremel to the standard joysticks and "turn" it into a left handed stick

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: