OCCRA
Go to Post I'm still trying to find a way to get FIRST to dump the Chicken Dance song. :p - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Do you participate in sports and robotics?
Yes 51 77.27%
No 15 22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:09 PM
team 121's entertainment
AKA: Jeff whalley
FRC #0121 (rhode warriors)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Whalley is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whalley
How do you find time for sports and robots?

I was just wondering how other people find time to go to both sports practices and robotics meetings. Last year I was able to attend almost every robotics meeting and this year due to track i can barely make 2 or 3 a week. I usually rush home from practice so i can do some homework in the hour before I have to head off to robotics. (this is why I am wearing spandex in American Robot episode 2). I was just wondering how other people deal with this issue
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:11 PM
J = Pf - Po
FRC #0814 (Megaforce Squadron)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Alaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Alaina
Re: How do you find time?

Well, I don't think this will help you a whole lot, but I just don't do sports....
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:17 PM
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Mentor

Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute

Two years ago, tennis practice lined up just perfectly with robotics so that I didn't have to miss anything. Track, however, was a different case, so I ended up just being statistician that season.

One year ago, tennis was at the same time as robotics, so I compromised with the tennis coach to just be a fill-in for doubles since we had an uneven number of people anyway.. Compromise = good stuff

This year, football practice was an hour after robotics, so that posed no problems whatsoever.

Pretty much, it's just been deciding what my #1 priority was/is.. And that's robotics

Mentor - Team 573, Mech Warriors
Former Mentor - Team 830, Rat Pack and Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

you have two options, 1 find the site that Napoleon dynamite's uncle got his time machine from.

2. Run really fast at track practice so you can get done earlier and get to your meetings.

Now being serious, It is very hard to find the balance between other activities and FIRST. Many people who have jobs or play sports find ways to get to work before or after meetings. Sports is a whole different thing for people that have done it on MOE, most of the kids either work it out with there sub team leaders to come a little late or even have to switch days on and off between work/sports and robotics. With the homework issue, the way I deal with it is by just trying to do it before or after school or even at the meetings if needed.

Facebook
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Michigan Wolverine CO/2009
None #0123 (123 Cosmos)

UsmanB will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you find time for sports and robots?

this year i am managing to participate in first team, chess club, cross-country, nhs, and science olympiad.

cross-country is a fall sport
chess club meeting isnt even mandatory, just show up occasionaly for a few matches.
nhs meetings are in morning and havent had any conflicting dates, i tutor kids at first sometimes since we do tutoring

only problem has become science olympiad and i found out that the competition day is the same as our first regional and so i am choosing not to attend the science olympiad competition. so i guess im not in that anymore...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
FRC #0237 (T.R.I.B.E)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Vin211 will become famous soon enoughVin211 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Vin211 Send a message via Yahoo to Vin211

I recall a while back, during the robotics off-season, I participated on the Varsity Tennis Team. It is impossible to participate in a sport during the robotics season, not only is it a strain on your grades, studies, but also a harsh treatment on your body.

Sie-H20 Bots (1999 - 2002)
Cyber Knights (2003 - 2005)
Sie-H20 Bots (2007 - Present)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
team 121's entertainment
AKA: Jeff whalley
FRC #0121 (rhode warriors)
Team Role: Student

Whalley is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whalley

the problem is that I am a varsity indoor track runner and i score in some of the meets, plus if I miss too many practices for Robotics then I will get kicked off of the team. My coach has some anger management problems.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Programmer
no team
Team Role: Programmer

themaxim can only hope to improve

im an aspiring football and lacrosse player as well as a wrestler. i take all honors classes, no free period, and im also a musician as well. what do i do? i leave school at 3, go to wrestling, after that pick up food, go to robotics from 630-9, then i come home and shower, and i start hw at 10. and then i wake up 630 the following day and do it all over.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:25 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! MY LAST YEAR IS OVER!
AKA: Keebler (Elf)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Mike33 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Mike33

you know there really is no good way to cope with sports and robotics. i try to do what i can and go with the flow of the day.
2005 West Michigan Imagery Award
2005 Detroit General Motors Industrial Design Award
2nd Place in Detroit and West Michigan
-----------------------------------------------------
"Its a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"
---copy the jeep and pass it around---
o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)

(originaly made by my friend david)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:32 PM
AKA: Alex... aka... Zog
#1474 (Tewksbury Titans)
Team Role: Mechanical

Pi Is Exactly 3 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Pi Is Exactly 3

Well for me personally, tennis doesn't start up until mid-March. So that won't be a problem for the most part. Right now, we're dodging track kids as they run through the halls. They get really upset when we leave the woodshop (that's where we work) and they have to stop (OH NO! ) and let people use the hallway. But they don't mind watching us build and see how our robot evolves throughout the season. Basketball is also running now, but we don't have any basketball players on the team. Other than those, lacrosse, softball, baseball, and spring track don't come until March as well and the fall sports don't affect anything. Basically winter sports and robotics clash a bit too much for someone to do both.

Vice President
Head of Mechanical
Coach / Strategist

Visit Our Website!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Good Luck Teams!
AKA: Tyler Wetzel
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

tkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tkwetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin211
I recall a while back, during the robotics off-season, I participated on the Varsity Tennis Team. It is impossible to participate in a sport during the robotics season, not only is it a strain on your grades, studies, but also a harsh treatment on your body.
I participated in Indoor Track and Field all four years of high school. The only conflict between that and robotics was that I missed some of the saturday build sessions (only the morning) because I would be at a track meet until 1 or 2pm. Half of the inddor meets were on Fridays which did not conflict with the robotics meetings at all.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Look On The Bright Side Of Life
AKA: Josh
#0365 (Moe)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
doop_forces is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrestled and do robotics at the same time for a while, but i had to leave practice early every day to go straight to robotics.

After I realized i needed time for homework, i decided to participate in robotics instead of wrestling

So i guess i dont find time for both
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:51 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

... That is why I just play sports for fun, not professionally or for a team.

but then again, isn't FIRST a sport? I mean come on now, our championship is nothing less than the super bowl.

-Arefin.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Alumni - Former President,Treasurer
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Leadership

coreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of light

It is very difficult to engage in any activity other than FIRST, so I'm not involved in anything other than robotics.

You can try playing during the off-season...

Wait. "Off-season"....?
Former President, Treasurer, Webmaster, Awards, and Editor
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Miss. Little Long Black Hair
AKA: Nadia Zamora
#1369 (Minotaurs)
Team Role: Leadership

Franchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Franchesca

I know that sports are very time consuming ... not from personal experience but from watching most of my friends.

In our team, we have a few people that do sports. Two of them, both girls in the soccer team, go to practice first and then come to Robotics. Usually, Robotics is until quite late, so they still have time to make it to the meetings ... and of course they come on the weekends.

Something to consider as well, is that Robotics takes up quite a lot of time for those 6 weeks and if you have lots of other activities to do it might interfere. What I'm trying to say is that you have to weigh the pros and cons and if you can drop some activities maybe you should. If you can't, do the best to manage them all, without killing yourself.

I have to agree ... Dorienne Plait and I are quite a DUO in CD!!!

"The true nature of the modern condition - how weak we are, how helpless against ourselves in this proud era of so-called progress." - Max Beckmann.

Always Here to Help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: