OCCRA
Go to Post Robotics for me though really is hard to beat. Though tiring and exhausting, the memories you build are priceless. - ShadowKnight [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
Stephen P has a spectacular aura aboutStephen P has a spectacular aura about
pic: Team 1093 Nearing Completion

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
499 Founder / Alamo FTC & FLL AP
no team
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
Andrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Team 1093 Nearing Completion

That is a nice apex gripper mechanism Our team has never posted images to ChiefDelphi because we have never had something worthy. I am only curious as to whether or not you viewed an image that I had up for just a day or so. I had not spoken with the team before posting so I thought it best to take it off the gallery.

I would also be interested to know if any other teams developed a similar device either using their own ingenuity or after viewing the short lived image? I intend to repost this week the original image. We have continued to refine the prototype and hope to have a new version on the robot this week.

APS

Founder / mentor FRC 499
Proud Parent FRC 2745 & 4219
Alamo FTC Affiliate Partner
Alamo FLL Affiliate Partner

Last edited by Andrew Schuetze : 02-06-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: remove hanging Tag
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:29 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schuetze
That is a nice apex gripper mechanism Our team has never posted images to ChiefDelphi because we have never had something worthy. I am only curious as to whether or not you viewed an image that I had up for just a day or so. I had not spoken with the team before posting so I thought it best to take it off the gallery.

I would also be interested to know if any other teams developed a similar device either using their own ingenuity or after viewing the short lived image? I intend to repost this week the original image. We have continued to refine the prototype and hope to have a new version on the robot this week.

APS
Mr. Schuetze,

Every single parts, mecanisms, a robot that a team makes who are involved in FIRST are worth seeing. Every single team in FIRST is worthy, because Team is what FIRST all about.

As far as the picture goes... Nice simple robot. I like the simplicity.

-Arefin.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:33 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

I really like how simple this is, it should work well every time. Good luck and nice job

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
AKA: William Lei
FRC #1009 (Vainer Robotic)

Rookie Year: 2004
Projectchon can only hope to improve

How did you guys attach the Spock to the Van door motor's shrift?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:50 PM
8 Seasons and as stable as ever
AKA: Working, 2/4 degrees complete still schooling...
FRC #1740 (The Cyber Colonels)

Rookie Year: 1999
Xufer is a splendid one to beholdXufer is a splendid one to beholdXufer is a splendid one to beholdXufer is a splendid one to beholdXufer is a splendid one to beholdXufer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xufer Send a message via MSN to Xufer Send a message via Yahoo to Xufer

[quote=Andrew Schuetze]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P
Thread created automatically to discuss this image in the Picture Gallery.

APS

if you look here http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...&highlight=521 we also have a similar design and we had it before you posted your picture its hard to see it the way the kid in black (to the left of the one holdign the frame ) is holding it but i assure you its the same as pictured above. no one on chiefdelphi would ever go arround stealing ideas from other teams and if you look at each design you will always notice slight differences. The good thing about first is that there is a mutual respect between all teams.

BTW, every one who takes part in first has ideas worth sharing, you should share more often. just becuase you don't have water cut frames and fancy lights everywhere doesnt mean that you will be reguarded as "unworthy"

Also wonderfull bot guys good luck in 2005!!

If saftey is first and i put FIRST ahead of everything, then i must be the safest guy in the world.

Team 521 Alumni -- Team 1740 Mentor-- Go Go 1740!
Sometimes I think I've been doing this too long and other times I think I haven't done this enough... but all the times I'm sure I'm crazy
Photonics, It's Your Future
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:40 PM
no team

Andrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xufer
if you look here http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...&highlight=521 we also have a similar design and we had it before you posted your picture its hard to see it the way the kid in black (to the left of the one holdign the frame ) is holding it but i assure you its the same as pictured above. no one on chiefdelphi would ever go arround stealing ideas from other teams and if you look at each design you will always notice slight differences. The good thing about first is that there is a mutual respect between all teams.
The mutual respect is why I uploaded the pic origianlly but I then felt that maybe I was giving away a team design too soon without permission.

My interest at this point is curiosity. How common is this design idea and how many teams saw one here and decided to build their own version.

Really, I am just curious as to how fluid this medium is for sharing and developing ideas.

Founder / mentor FRC 499
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:55 PM
#1430 (WRONG)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2004
russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

Our design is much the same except without the simplicity. Actually to say it is much the same is wrong. It uses the same general principle, but it has like eight other mechanisms built in. It was inspired by a design by a different student on our team, which was inspired by another of my designs which was inspired by the arm prototype demonstrated on episode one of "American Robot".
I think we will be seeing a lot of designs that are all very similar. The problem I am now seeing with a design like this one is that when the robot is carrying the tetra its center of gravity will be way out in front of the robot unless they have a way to allow them to flip the arm behind the robot without dropping the tetra.

Edit: How many teeth do those sprockets for your arm have? When I did the calculations for a similar setup for us it would have been 4.5:1 reduction which would barely have given us enough torque to lift a tetra at the end of a five foot (and it can extend to seven foot) arm.

Last edited by russell : 02-06-2005 at 09:58 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell
Our design is much the same except without the simplicity.
..snip..
I think we will be seeing a lot of designs that are all very similar. The problem I am now seeing with a design like this one is that when the robot is carrying the tetra its center of gravity will be way out in front of the robot unless they have a way to allow them to flip the arm behind the robot without dropping the tetra.

Edit: How many teeth do those sprockets for your arm have? When I did the calculations for a similar setup for us it would have been 4.5:1 reduction which would barely have given us enough torque to lift a tetra at the end of a five foot (and it can extend to seven foot) arm.
Our current design has a two stage gear reduction each one a 3.5 : 1 for an over-all 12.25 : 1 if I have done my math correct. We are using a single window lift motor and are going to mount a second window motor coaxial to the same shaft. Their specs are very similar and should give us the needed power.

Founder / mentor FRC 499
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:06 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xufer
no one on chiefdelphi would ever go arround stealing ideas from other teams and if you look at each design you will always notice slight differences.
I do. I look at what other people create and share here. I look at what other people create and bring to a regional. I look at what other people create as a way to fold a bench seat into the floor of a mini van.

Like many researchers before me, I look and read about what my peers are doing and developing, and then incorperate the best of them into my ideas or change my focus because of them.

That looks like a battery next to the vandoor moter, please tell me that it is there for testing only.

Also, whats in the "JUMBO 2000" boxes?

Wetzel
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Team Role: Mechanical

Stephen P has a spectacular aura aboutStephen P has a spectacular aura about

the JUMBO 2000's are a bunch of 17" monitor mounts, like from a ceiling or wall I think. They are a curse upon us, as they take up alot of our much needed space in the storage room . We will probably be selling them on ebay to get rid of them. anyone wanna buy one or two or twenty, seriously? PM me
will be a good fund raiser!

as to the apex gripper, I did base it off of a pic I saw on chiefdelphi, but only cause it was a sweet design. and now we have mounted a window motor to drive the arm and keep it from backdriving.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:46 AM
FRC #0494 (Martians)

Jay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeJay TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

Steven,

Thanks for posting your photo. I think this type of sharing is a healthy thing for teams and can benefit them as much or more than those that view only. I also think it is perfectly acceptable for teams to benchmark other robots, either from previous yearís designs or their postings.

We also have a similar device to power our elevator mechanism (I would refer to your application as an elevator device as well). Last year we had a window reg. motor and an aluminum gear. This year we have the van door motor with a 35 pitch aluminum sprocket. Our elevator arm is protected from overload with a slip clutch.

If your pinion sprocket is on the motor shaft, you need to support the end of the van door motor shaft with a bushing or bearing. Perhaps you could drill out a bronze flanged bushing to 11mm for this.

Since the van door motor can be back driven, we have installed a manual window regulator clutch between the motor and pinion sprocket. If we didnít have this clutch, the arm would drop down with the weight of a tetra. A ratcheting device would also prevent this.

You can also solve this problem with software if you have a potentiometer on the elevator to provide feedback on the arm position. The controller would provide enough power to the motor to make it dwell. In time this will heat up the motor, but for a few seconds at a time it might be ok.

Jay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: