Go to Post Yes, you are correct. Even when all other databuses are totally out of bandwith, the PainInTheCalf Bus gets top priority. Good thinking ;-) - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Engineer
AKA: Brandon Rudy
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Dan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to behold
pic: 1493 Drive Train 1

'09-'11 - FRC 2975 - Mentor
'12-'13 - FRC 4029 - Mentor

2007-2011 - Bayou Regional Judge
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist
Re: pic: 1493 Drive Train 1

We're doing a very similar drive train... conceptually. The six wheel, all driven, four omni concept is a good one.

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Engineer
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)

Dan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to beholdDan-o is a splendid one to behold

Sorry about the mis-sizing of the picture. Instead of posting tons of pictures, i figured it'd be better to post a topic, so i can show you lots of pictures and videos.

Drive Train 2
Drive Train 3
Drive Train 4
Drive Train 5
Omni Wheel
Construction of Arm
Arm Assembly
Wrist Gear Box

Video of spinning drive train (Short)
Video of Spinning Drive Train (Long)

I don't yet have pictures of our arm mounted to the chassis, but I will be posting as soon as I can get ahold of them.

Our team (1493) will be at UTC this year to show off this fine machine. The bot that comes to mind when I see this thing run is a more maneuverable 25's 2003 bot. This thing is FAST.

Well, tell us what you think.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
AKA: Kayla's big bro...
FRC #1620 (Robolution)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Rohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Rohan_DHS Send a message via Skype™ to Rohan_DHS

nice wheels they look cool....

gl and hf at your competetion
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:11 PM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

sweet wheels! where did you get the design for those wheels? great job!

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Engineer
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)

The design is a wheel that sells for 80 bucks on some guy's website. This guy thinks it's a good idea to post his cad of the wheels he designs as it will help him sell more. Fortunately, due to water jet machines, and the lack of adequate patents, we were able to make the wheels for just $15 a piece. Frugality mixed with some creativity usually heeds desirable results.

/edit

After further consideration, I have found that my wording was reckless at best. I have not changed the original post as not to disrupt the flow of this thread. I have written a formal apology that can be found lower on this page. I hope people reading this for the first time will read my apology before replying to this thread.

Also, the $15 thing doesn't include labor, waterjet fees, paint, and other stuff that would be factored into the price of Andy's wheels.

Last edited by Dan-o : 02-17-2005 at 01:30 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:13 PM
方法
AKA: Garrett
#1493 (Falcons)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
gofortyeight can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to gofortyeight Send a message via MSN to gofortyeight Send a message via Yahoo to gofortyeight

By the way, the original concept of the wheel was taken from the AndyMark.biz website. With a few tweakings to his original design, we feel that we've created a more superior wheel than the ones for sale.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
The design is a wheel that sells for 80 bucks on some guy's website. This guy thinks it's a good idea to post his cad of the wheels he designs as it will help him sell more. Fortunately, due to water jet machines, and the lack of adequate patents, we were able to make the wheels for just $15 a piece. Frugality mixed with some creativity usually heeds desirable results.
I don't think Mr. Baker or Mr. Koors would appreciate you making them look incompetent; our team is a customer of theirs and we certainly don't appreciate it. Perhaps, they are generously offering their design for everyone's free use, rather than being stupefied by the patent process. For instance, my team would rather pay to have them manufacture components than devote a mentor's time to it.
As someone who ripped off their design the least you could do is say that you took the plans from AndyMark.biz and manufactured your own parts and that you appreciate their generosity in helping your team expedite the build process.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:27 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
"That guy" happens to be one of the most well respected mentors in FIRST, who shares his designs so that EVERYONE (Your ingrateful self included) can have a chance to use them. He does this for the good of all FIRST teams, to close the gap between teams with lots of resources, and teams with fewer resources. The least you can do is thank him, and not mock and trivialize his work.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:31 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly

Quote:
Wow, that sure was harsh for a couple of generous guys that provide some of the best mentoring and services to the FIRST community. Oh, and the quality of materials they are using are not cheap and they are of high quality.

Have some respect.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:44 PM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The design is a wheel that sells for 80 bucks on some guy's website. This guy thinks it's a good idea to post his cad of the wheels he designs as it will help him sell more. Fortunately, due to water jet machines, and the lack of adequate patents, we were able to make the wheels for just $15 a piece. Frugality mixed with some creativity usually heeds desirable results
Andy Baker, Mark Koors and Team 45 have done more for other teams in the way of products and white papers than any other team I know. If the drawings were posted than I think Andy and Mark wanted people to make their own wheels. Just like the white paper on the dual motor mount from a few years back.
I know Team 45 donated the use of one of their robots to a team that need one so they could compete.
This "guy" has been involved with FIRST from that beginning and I don't think you or gofortyeight have any right to belittle what he does
Another thing you may not have considered is that anyone who bought AndyMark's wheels can use them in the coming years. They are COTS. Yours are not, so you will have to make them every year
I hope you don't find out the hard way what your comments have done. I hope that if you break something, or need a part, that another team will remember GP and help you out. That's what we do.
*puts away soapbox*

Wayne Doenges
CAD Mentor
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3248 and FRC Team 4500
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

Last edited by Wayne Doenges : 02-16-2005 at 11:48 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

OK, before everyone piles on here, I need to say a few things. Cory, Wayne, Mike, David; I greatly appreciate your support.

It is week 5, going on week 6. We are all working on no sleep. These guys are excited about their design and have said some things without knowing the background of what has happened during the past few years. It seems that they have no clue about "sharing designs" and what has been happening in the FIRST community.

It seems that these guys just need a bit of education. I'll do the honors:

Waaay back in the 2000 build season, Joe Johnson posted a print on this website of a single part that would improve the Bosch gearbox. This sharing got me thinking: "we have a pretty good motor mount/2-speed shifter - teams would like to see this design and use it". This Gear switching and motor mount design white paper is listed here. Notice the # of downloads this received (almost 150k). While this was not the first shifting gearbox in FIRST, but it was the first time that 90% of the teams discovered how to do this. I like to think that this design is the grandfather to many good designs used in FIRST, from shift-on-the-fly transmissions to the Nothing but Dewalts design. Ah, but I digress...

We had so much fun giving away that design, that in 2001, we produced the Dual motor shifting gearbox whitepaper, and people seemed to like that too. During that year, we also gave away some silly software that helped teams auto-balance the bridge. Some of those teams put their own twist on that software and even won awards... it was all good.

In 2002, we really came up with a doozy... a 6 motor, dual speed, shift-on-the-fly transmission. This was such a hit that other teams started posting their designs. Dave Lavery did this, Andy Brockway also, and teams 217, 222, and 226. It was a good thing. People were learning left and right. 14-year olds knew what a pitch diameter is... cool stuff.

In 2003, we went crazy. This foolish "sharing of designs" was an epidemic. People would post their CAD pictures on this site and get critiqued right and left. We posted two designs that year this gearbox and (drum roll please)... The TechnoKat Trick Wheel. Keep in mind that this was in 2003. In FIRST, these sorts of omni-wheels were used as far back as 1998, when we had one on our robot, and 67 had one on theirs. Others might have had them also, but I don't know, since I am just "this guy" who does not know what he is talking about. Between the years of 99-03, many teams used variations of these omni-wheels. We just (finally) decided to post prints of them after the 2003 season.

Of course, any silly engineer would know that these "trick wheels" are not patentable.

Oh... and also in 2003, I was fortunate to win an award for this sharing of designs. That was awesomely cool.

On a note about the 2003 year and the gearbox design, check out this thread, and especially take note of the first post on the second page of this thread. I specifically point out "... Better yet, improve upon the design and post your findings". Using someone else's designs and improving on them is a GOOD THING, and it is expected.

Now... getting to modern day (whew - that took a while): Mark and I decided to start this venture of AndyMark. We decided to post our CAD pics. Believe it or not, we expected teams to download our files and create these things themselves, in some cases. Heck, I even mention that here. So... the idea of using these designs and thinking that you have pulled a good one on us is not that novel. This is OK!

So, with all of this said, I have two comments Dan and go48:
1. sweet wheels!
2. please send your fabricator's contact info to me, as I would like to have them give me a quote on making parts ($15 is a good value)

Some guy,
Andy B.

(sorry for being so long winded)

Last edited by Andy Baker : 02-17-2005 at 12:31 AM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Engineer
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)

WHOA! Before this gets blown out of proportion, let me apologize for any feelings I have hurt. I feel that I have been mostly misunderstood. Also know that words expressed here, though greatly misworded, were the words of one person, me, and do not represent the words of my team, team 1493.

Let me go in order of posts. I really did not mean for this to be taken this way. And I greatly apologize.

First. The design for the wheels was amazing, that's why we used them.

Second, I had no idea it was Andy Baker's Design, because the omni wheels were not my part of the project. I did not know who to give credit to, so I just said some guy. Quite an understatement on my part, and I apologize.

Thrid, I would like to publicly thank Andy Baker for publishing his design to make it possible for FIRST teams to fabricate the parts.

Fourth, I did not mean to trivialize the work of Andy Baker, and I apologize for comments leading you to believe that I am not grateful.

Fifth, Ok this is a big one. I do not down the product produced by Andy and his group, nor say that it uses cheap products. I greatly respect your work, and encourage other teams to buy your products.

Sixth, to Wayne, I truly did not mean to belittle the work of these great engineers. Andy's design is far greater than any design that our team could come up with for wheels, and that's why we used the design. I did not mean to say anything less than wow, those wheels really helped.

Lastly, to Andy, I am amazed at the professionalism you conveyed by trying to lighten the tone a little on this exploding conversation. For this, I am very greatful, and have great respect for you. Wow, I am still taken back by all this. Though I do believe I was misunderstood, I do admit that I was reckless with my wording, for which I apologize. I feel like a fool for opening this can of worms, as it's like a kindergardener walking into a doctorate level engineering design course. I wish I could change the words of my first post, but that would not be fair to the people who posted after me. I hope that anyone who reads the first few messages in this thread reads this reply, and understands my utmost respect for an engineering genius. From the bottom of my heart, I apologize.

On a side note, I will talk to the people who fabricated the wheels, and get you a bill of materials.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Brandon,

I greatly appreciate your reply, and understand that you were misunderstood. I believe that you were simply excited about your team's robot (as we all are), and did not know the background of what was going on here.

Making an "engineering find" that works for your team is something to be proud of, as your original post shows. This is a good thing.

Your apology is accepted for an innocent mistake. People... there is bit of a lesson here. A person is not defined by what mistakes they make, but moreso by what they do after they realize their mistake.

(I still may go around as "some guy" once in a while, though... )

Andy B.

Last edited by Andy Baker : 02-17-2005 at 01:30 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2005, 01:31 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

I too accept your apology.
I also understand that we sometimes get excited and say or do the wrong thing
I hope you do real well this year. That's one sweet bot.

Wayne Doenges
CAD Mentor
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3248 and FRC Team 4500
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: