OCCRA
Go to Post There is nothing cooler than engineers playing rock music. - Jay Trzaskos [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 06:23 PM
20something
FRC #5010 (Tiger Dynasty)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
rufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to rufu5
pic: (447) How do YOU keep programmers out of the electronics?

2005-Boilermaker-RadioshackInnovationInControls | 2005-NasaVCU-RegionalFinalist(339,447,539) | 2005-NasaVCU-XeroxCreativity
2004-IRI-Runner Up(45,234,447) | 2004-IRI-DelphiDrivingTomorrow'sTechnology
2004-MidwestRegional-Regional Finalist(65,648,447) | 2004-MidwestRegional-Leadership in Controls

2003-IRI-DelphiDrivingTomorrow'sTechnology | 2003-MidwestRegional-XeroxCreativity | 2003-StLouisRegional-LeadershipInControls
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 06:25 PM
20something

rufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud ofrufu5 has much to be proud of
Re: pic: (447) How do YOU keep programmers out of the electronics?

You know its happened to you. You're the head electronics guy, you miss a day because you have skill bowl, you come back ... BAM! all the pwms are unplugged (of course you haven't got around to labeling them yet), he's holding a screw driver, and the programmer is ripping his hair out: "IT DOESN'T WORK!"

... oh nose ...

So I came up with a little "Keep your electronics safe" kit.

Share your electronic stories here.
2005-Boilermaker-RadioshackInnovationInControls | 2005-NasaVCU-RegionalFinalist(339,447,539) | 2005-NasaVCU-XeroxCreativity
2004-MidwestRegional-Regional Finalist(65,648,447) | 2004-MidwestRegional-Leadership in Controls

2003-IRI-DelphiDrivingTomorrow'sTechnology | 2003-MidwestRegional-XeroxCreativity | 2003-StLouisRegional-LeadershipInControls
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Programming and Electrical Mentor
AKA: Allen Gregory
FRC #2587 (Afrobots)

Rookie Year: 2003
CyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really nice

Wait I am both one of the head electronics guys and the lead programmer. But sometimes my programmer side wants to do things to the electrical system that the electrical side just plain would not like.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Dillon
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
CmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud of

well, as a programmer i belive that is completly evil, its hard enough when the speed controllers are near the program port. but having a mouse trap thats just plain evil. but some thing u can tell the programmer that the mouse trap is the new model victor on it. since it says victor.

now heres my electronics story.

i think a week ago, we were debugging the pwm connections, and one of them wasnt working. so we unplugged the pwm cable, while the robot was on. so when we tried to plug it back in, i accidentally touched the pwm cable to the metal fins IN the speed controller, ZZAPPPP, sparks, and the speed controller blows. i thought i blew out the pwm port on the rc also, it scared the crud out of me. its why my sig says proud destroyer of a victor.

dillon

"Great autonomous mode Dillon."," It hasn't been written yet"
after an Archimedes match

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:23 PM
AI Programmer
AKA: Bob Frank DOT org
FRC #0358 (Hauppauge Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Alumni

AIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to AIBob Send a message via AIM to AIBob Send a message via MSN to AIBob Send a message via Yahoo to AIBob

Slight physical blocks will never stop a good programmer, we can just program around it.

Last edited by AIBob : 02-19-2005 at 07:25 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Dillon
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: College Student

CmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIBob
Slight physical blocks will never stop a good programmer, we can just program around it.
yes but in the spur of the moment, you have to dl the new code, uve been called to be queued up, theres a mouse trap above the program port, then SNAP, pinched fingers = bad typing, and pain.

"Great autonomous mode Dillon."," It hasn't been written yet"
after an Archimedes match

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
20something

Quote:
theres a mouse trap above the program port, then SNAP, pinched fingers = bad typing, and pain.
see, the programmer in its natural habitat will instinctively blame the electronics for the problem:

just this evening the programmer and his dad spent (no exaggeration) 1.5 hrs troubleshooting the electronics, before they figured out "hey, i just loaded a new code"

as a good electronics person, whenever you see a programmer with a screwdriver, you must immediately inform the proper authorities

i love programmers

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Head of Electrical Team 408
AKA: Bryan Kitchener
#0408 (Roboticks)
Team Role: Electrical

408Oxidation is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 408Oxidation

Yeah I've had the same problems...
I'm thinking of hiding everything but the switch and the robot controller on days that I'm gone....
And our team is the same- every programming problem is blamed on the electronics.. lol
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM

stephenthe1 is on a distinguished road

personally, I don't think there is any need for a separate electrical and programming group. The programmers should be the ones to do the electronics and programming, this way they are completely in control of their code and can more easily find bugs in their code, or modify electronics on the ui or bot more quickly. seems more efficient to me. and by the way, 1.5 hours shouldn't be complained about, unless you have years of experience.. I won't go into how much time we've spent troubleshooting our pneumatics. came down to a bad pwm wire. I spent probably 6 hours overall, modifying code, etc. because they always thought it was a problem in my code. wow, wish I had more experience.

Last edited by stephenthe1 : 02-19-2005 at 09:08 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:17 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I'm not sure that you are using the correct Victor for this year, but unless you post a pic with the model number I guess we have to trust you.

Second, it won't work. No programmer will be stopped by a mere hardware feature. (Here, let me do that ... *SNAP* OW OW OW!!! Hey, what was that? <reboot> Here let me do that ... *SNAP* OW OW OW!!! Hey, what was that? <reboot>: well, you get the point.)

Third, if they're going to blame you for it anyway, you might as well have fun.

Fourth, as a mentor I have to frown on this sort of thing.

Fifth, as a former programmer and amateur radio operator,

Sixth, remember, as fur-bearing creatures, programmers may only be trapped between November and March.

Last edited by Rick TYler : 02-19-2005 at 09:32 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:31 PM
20something

Quote:
1.5 hours shouldn't be complained about, unless you have years of experience..
Well the funny thing is, this is my sixth year on this team, and my first four years (back in the glorious days of basic) I did electronics and programming. The two aformentioned programmers on my team are second year (a father and a son). What I did was, after spending about 10 mins tracing all my connections with an ohm meter, I did the only logical thing and (in my mind) blamed it on the programmers. One hour and twenty minutes later, they tried a new code and ... IT WORKED! I thought: "Eh, might as well let them figure it out for themselves."

So I completly agree with

Quote:
Third, if they're going to blame you for it anyway, you might as well have fun.
you are a wise man Rick

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Vice-President of Caffine
AKA: Jonathan
#0619 (CA Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2001
cdawzrd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cdawzrd

I agree it seems odd to have seperate electronics and programming teams, unless you have a crazybig team and it makes sense that way. My co-programmers and I do all the electronics as well. This makes it soo much more efficient, especially with the recent addition of such electronics as the camera. We also are less likely to get in each others' way. But, we've always had this sort of "mechanical team" and "everything else technical" team :-)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

When Alan Anderson is your teams programmer...you don't keep him out of the electronics...you encourage him.

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song

If I only have a contraptio which allowed to me keep programmers away from all the electronic equipment, then I'll be a happy camper.

One of the programmers was working with our gyro for a few days before we were to mount it onto the electronics board. When it finally came time to mount the gyro, I couldn't find it. So I asked him where he put it, but he couldn't remember. I sent him to look for it; ten minutes later he turns up with nothing and says that he has to go back to work. Which left me to look for that gyro, which by the way happened to have been stacked away UNDER just about every storage bin we have. Now thankfully, the gyro wasn't crushed at all, the bins were supported by other spare parts that I had lost.

Man... I'm telling you electronics people, keep track of all your stuff.
No offense to our programmers, I love 'em, they are the life force of the robot.

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Mechanical Mentor
AKA: Scott Ray
FRC #0447 (TEAM Roboto)
Team Role: Engineer

scott has a spectacular aura aboutscott has a spectacular aura about

My being from 447 as well, I would have to disagree with the eff. of combining the subteams. We always ( even in relaxing times ) have this constant urgency,lol. Having 2 subteams for programming and electronics gives us, the Machine Shop Team, 2 places to blame for any problems. . . . . . because it is NEVER a the our fault! lol

Sorry Rufdus, I HAD TO POST IT!!

Pic on how to keep the remainder of the robot safe from the Electronic/Programming Team COMING SOON!
2014 IRI QUARTER-FINALIST (624, 33 & 2481)|2014 CORI CHAMPIONS|2014 QUEEN CITY REGIONAL CHAMPIONS (16 & 2665)| 2014 QUEEN CITY XEROX CREATIVITY IN DESIGN|2014 CROSSROADS QUARTER-FINALIST (3494 & 3940)|2013 CROSSROADS FINALIST (1288 & 1756)|2013 QUEEN CITY REGIONAL CHAMPIONS (379 & 1985)|2013 QUEEN CITY EXCELLENCE IN ENGINEERING AWARD|2012 QUEEN CITY QUARTER-FINALIST (379 & 1706)|2012 SMOKY MOUNTAINS QUARTER-FINALIST (1501 & 1261)|2012 SMOKY MOUNTAINS XEROX CREATIVITY IN DESIGN|2011 CAGE Match FINALIST (461 & 1760)|2011 BOILERMAKER QUARTER-FINALIST (1756 & 554)2010 BOILERMAKER QUARTER-FINALIST (829 & 1720)|2009 WISCONSIN QUARTER-FINALIST (1024 & 2826)2008 BOILERMAKER QUARTER-FINALIST (1000 & 201)|2007 MIDWEST FINALIST(1000 & 648)|2007 MIDWEST XEROX CREATIVITY AWARD|2006 BOILERMAKER ENGINEERING INSPIRATION|2005 Creator of IRI Vex, "Enter-Action"|2005 CHAMPIONSHIP RADIOSHACK INNOVATION IN CONTROLS|2005 CHAMPIONSHIP GALILEO FINALIST(1108 & 492)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: