OCCRA
Go to Post P.S. - Don't eat spicy food before a match, or a marathon of matches like eliminations. It never ends well. Trust me. - Keith Chester [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Seshambeh Dareh Meyod
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Ben Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond reputeBen Lauer has a reputation beyond repute
What will the winners have over the rest of us

What do I think all regional winners will have? In the past, many regional winners have had great and innovative designs on their robot. I believe that this year it might be a little different, I believe that a robot with a great driver and a capable arm will win. This will make scouting very hard because so many teams have a very similar arm.

Not just the driver though, a coach and secondary driver must be very heads up, they must always know who is winning, and by how much. There will be a lot more going on this year, and the driver will have to maneuver around 2 more bots and more game elements. I realize that this is always true, but I just wanted to know who else thinks that there is even more emphasis on the driving and coaching than just a good robot design. Because in the end, all the engineering is still controlled by humans, and humans have flaws. But the better the driver and coaches, the smaller the flaws.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:05 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What will the winners have over the rest of us

A six motor drive with 2 speeds.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:06 AM
FRC #1219 (Emery Iron Eagle)
Team Role: Alumni

thoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to behold

I totally agree. Strategy, coach, drivers and scouting will play a HUGE part this year. Having an amazing robot that can stack 3-4 at a time is one thing, but to finish the match with 5-6 rows is another. But its all the better for us. Imagine matches going down to the wire, roaring crowds, nail bitting calls, that classic commentary, rejoicing teams, high-fives, hugs, and hand shakes at the end of matches! Oh boy i cant wait!. Its going to be a sweet ride.

03,04,05-Team 1219 Captain
2003 Rookie all Start @ GTR
2005 Galileo Semi-Finalist & Alliance captain
06-Team 1219 Mentor
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in control @ Waterloo
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:37 AM
GO IRISH
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Alex Pelan Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Pelan

Having an excellent drive team, as previously stated, is going to be huge this year, in my opinion. That means a number of things including awareness of events on the field and score, teamwork, general driving skills, and perhaps a small bit of luck.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Team Role: College Student

AJunx is a name known to allAJunx is a name known to allAJunx is a name known to allAJunx is a name known to allAJunx is a name known to allAJunx is a name known to all

My prediction is that in general, the winning alliances in regional competitions, and particularly the winning alliance in Atlanta will consist of:

-1 robot that is a true tetra scorer, that is, they will be capable of scoring approximately 12 tetras per match. I can think of two primary designs that might be capable of such a feat:
1) a robot that can store 4+ tetras on its base and score them quickly (see Team 340's awesome robot)
2) a robot that can score 4+ at a time by using a forklift type design with a hinging fork (see "I wish my team's forklift could lift 4+ tetras").

-2 robots that will be strong, fast, and capable of quickly scoring on any of the goals.

Strategy, I imagine will go like this: the first minute and 20 seconds after the autonomous period will consist of trying to score as many tetras as possible. The remaining 40 seconds, the 2 strong/fast/single-tetra-scoring robots will begin strategically placing tetras so as to assure they come out on top as far as the rows are concerned.

I also expect there will be some wild and innovative defensive solutions that I haven't thought of yet. It's going to be a great competition. I can't wait.

-Andrew
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so here is what i think a winning team will have.

First they will need a great strategy team. They will have to freely communicate between scouts and drive team.

Second they will need to be able to have a great coach, that is able to keep track of all 6 robots, and the score, at the same time.

A driver that doesn't have to be baby walked through everyhthing, and that has experience on the sticks and who nows how the game works, inside and out.

An operator who can help the coach, but that can also do there own job.

But then agian it is also going to come down to what they can do.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

I just think the teams that will be winners will have a higher score then us

Facebook
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)

Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever team can come up with the fastest, most high volume way to gather and stack tetras will take it.

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 01:51 PM
AKA: Dan Quiggle
FRC #0179 (Children of the Swamp)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Swampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond repute

A little luck is always important. Luck this year will come in the form of not gathering penalties either by your self or your alliances. If 2 or 3 matches you get allied with a team that draws penalties, there goes a few wins just on that fact alone, not to mention your going to simply get outscored by the other teams now and then also. So in the end you'll wind up 50/50 with most of it out of your hands. So one team alone can't win this thing when there's 5 other bots on the field that can make a Big impact on the 1. So alliances are everything no matter how good you are.

With that in mind, how you employ those alliance strategies as a team is critical. You can talk to folks about strategy all you want, but if they don't stick to it. Or are incapable of certain things - it's just out of your hands. Not to say the other team is also dealing with the same dynamics. But overall statistically with 6 teams on the field - no 1 team can make as big a difference as in the past.

If this thread were titled what will the winning alliance have? I think it's almost always going to be the #1 seed. Unless they have blinders on, they're going to pick the best/fastest consistent capper. They being the #1 seed will likely be good at organizing strategy and staying away from trouble and scoring rows well or just plain lucky. You put those 2 teams together, the second seed is already picking the second, third or fourth best capper. If you're in the 3-8 alliance I personally think your not going to have much of a chance.

I'm sure your going to see awesome teams that score like crazy deep in the seeding charts at the end of the day. Only because of the huge penalty risks that alliances will draw and that you can't come back from.

I hope people don't get too bent out of shape when they're asked to stay out of trouble as a strategy...

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Luck and less penalties. I see the second as having a big outcome on the game this year.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:53 PM
lil' Dr. Joe
AKA: Sarai
FRC #0573 (Who are we?! MECH WARRIORS!)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Sarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of lightSarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of lightSarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of lightSarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of lightSarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of lightSarah Johnson is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sarah Johnson

I'm pretty sure the winning teams in this game will be able to stack tetras first and foremost really fast. I think that the team will probably be able to score the most tetras/second in the game.

Secondly, I think the teams that win good regionals and championships will be able to go at least 8 tetras high, because once you get past all the good robots that can go fast, you need to have something else over them that will allow you to keep playing after the first minute and a half when all the other robots are scoring tetras.

THe last thing that might be a characteristic of a winning team probably would be a mechanism that allows for hanging onto a tetra really good once you have it, so that once you have a tetra you can still keep scoring even with all 3 of the alliance robots playing defense on you. Either that of a long arm that can reach over robots trying to stop you.

Those are some characteristics that, even if your drivers not that good, which helps too, can win you a lot and get you pretty far in the competition. I'm pretty sure the good teams tradionally will be able to master these qualities.

sarah
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

The winners at regionals and at the championship this year will have a definitive, single, dedicated strategy on what to do out in the field. In my opinion, X tetras stacked on top of a goal will not be the only thing on the list of qualifications, but also placement of them and the time they were put there will be key. Strategy, as many have said before, will be a requirement. You can't just wish for luck, for chances are it won't come.

More importantly, and should I say basically, the robot needs to be robust. Any weaknesses may mean trouble.

Last edited by JoeXIII'007 : 02-25-2005 at 06:48 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:56 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

... Better strategy and TEAMWORK.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007

In my opinion everyone has as good of a chance as everyone else. The reason being their are 5 other teams out there, a lot can happen. Any way I look at it, though, robots that are consistent and effective at whatever they do will be the champions. This is the hardest challenge of FIRST, that is being consistent in matches. Their are a lot of unknown variables and they could either work against you or in favor of you, but as long as you have a good strategy team you should be fine. Good luck to everyone!!

GO 1403!!!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

A trophy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: