OCCRA
Go to Post The ChiefDelphi forums are more than just a place for people to kill time and engage in some chit chat. - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #91   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2003, 03:41 AM
harker robotics :. 1072
AKA: Aonic
#1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
AlbertW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlbertW
school = The Harker School

Harker Robotics Team (hrt)

boring name, but we've got a cool logo to go with it (if i do say so myself)

first little bracket thingy is a lowercase "h" without the vertical line, second one is an r, and the third one is part of a "T"

We were the first seeded first-year team at a first-year FIRST regional.
  #92   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2003, 10:57 AM
FIRST Junkie
no team (UHS Wolfpack)
Team Role: Alumni

D. Gregory is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to D. Gregory Send a message via MSN to D. Gregory
UHS Wolfpack=Unionville Highschool Wolves
  #93   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Should be teaching right now
FRC #0085 (B.O.B. (Built On Brains))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Steve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to behold
I'm not making this up! Zeeland's school mascot is the CHIX! (like baby chicken)

Not much help there! Our name came to us three hours into a bus ride home from CDI a few years back. We wanted a simple name that everyone would remember. B.O.B. Built On Brains.

When I saw the Thunderchickens I thought that was way-cool.

#94   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute
Our name isn't Delphi "Elite"!!

Delphi Corporation (Packard Electric Systems)
+
E.L.I.T.E. --> Encourage Learning In Technology and Engineering

= Delphi E.L.I.T.E.

The founding members of Team 48 created the "E.L.I.T.E." acronym in 1998, and it has remained a part of our name ever since. However, using a name like this can be a little risky. Unlike "MOE" or "SPAM" or "BOB", "ELITE" is an acronym that conveys an air of arrogance when you spell it without periods (or say it. Our signature back-and-forth cheer of "DEL-PHI!..........E-LITE!" rolls off the tongue just a tad more smoothly than "DEL-PHI!...........E PERIOD! L PERIOD! I PERIOD! T PERIOD! E PERIOD!!!!!!" ). We make every attempt to use the official form with periods when writing or displaying our team name to indicate that it is an acronym with an honorable meaning instead of some arrogant designation we haughtily chose for ourselves, but undoubtedly, there are those out there that hear our name or see it mistakenly spelled "ELITE" and get the wrong impression. It really doesn't help that the words "ELITE 48" appeared on the back of our yellow polo shirts this past season. Sigh. That uniform design flaw will be eliminated next season.

Maybe our self-generated paranoia would go away if we simply changed our name to "Delphi A.V.E.R.A.G.E."? -->

The

Adult
Volunteer/
Enthusiastic
Raider (high school mascot)
Alliance -
Generating the
Engineers of the Future

We are................AVERAGE. Ho-hum.

Our robot has always been named xtremachen (pronounced just like "Extreme Machine") since our team's inception in '98. Beginning in '99, we've appended a superscript digit to the end of the name to indicate the number of years our team has been a member of FIRST. 2003's creation was xtremachen6.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #95   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2003, 05:55 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
SarahB has a spectacular aura aboutSarahB has a spectacular aura aboutSarahB has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to SarahB
Quote:
Originally posted by Venkatesh
Does anyone know why team 30 is called FURY?

(Im on the team, and still have no idea y)
Because if we were anger, rage, or acrimony we wouldn’t have nearly as much fun with our team name, especially the signs . If you really want to know I’d find a Mr. Holton or a Will Pilis or a Sean Munson and ask them. If I had to guess I’d say it came from the whole Achilles Rage thing, but 173 probably didn’t like us using their name so we changed to Fury.

I really want to know where we got the dragon from. Our school has many mascots(and no sports teams.. go figure) but none of them are even close to the dragon. But I love the abstractness of our logo, we should praise whomever made that. Especially the one on the piece of plywood in the Physics lab... even though it looks kind of like a fish.
FLL:
Robo-Monkeys (Founder/Mentor, 2003-2006)

Currently working as a Radar Systems Engineer at Lockheed Martin in Liverpool, NY and pursuing my MSEE from Clarkson, while easing my way back into FIRST
  #96   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Dirty Harry

Our team name is Site 3 Engineering. Why? Im not exactly sure myself, but here's the story that we usually tell.

When it came time to name our team, we didnt have many good ideas...some suggestions are too stupid to mention here. But some guy came up with Side 3, which i guess is a reference to the Gundam anime. I think a side is a space colony, but im not sure since i havent seen much of it besides Wing and 8th MS team.

So, since we were afraid of copyright issues and whatnot, we distorted it to Site 3, and tagged Engineering to the end of it. I guess the name was so different from what we were used to hearing, like *school name* robotics team, so it kinda stuck.

Our robot is named Lil' Mojo partly because our president came up with it off the top of his head, and partly because our school has an interesting cheer called the MOJO, which we got to perform at the Sac and Silicon Valley Regionals.
  #97   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2003, 01:32 AM
J = Pf - Po
FRC #0814 (Megaforce Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2003
Alaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to beholdAlaina is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Alaina
We're just weird people...so we have weird names...Our team name is The Megaforce Squadron; it's just a corny, geeky name.
The bot name, Spicy Mustard, definitely got us recognized this year. I've been thinking about a bot name for next year, but what can top Spicy?!
  #98   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:39 PM
FIRST Alumni
#0035 (Sigma Squared)

xxlshortys is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xxlshortys
Well, as a nickname i call myself the Omega, i have a video production studio now under the name Omega Productions. I thought that if we used a greek letter then we would be able to wear Togas (which would be awesome). So i put up there "Some Greek letter" with the Sigma symbol meaning Sum, we ended up accidently with Sigma, and then we used to square to define that we were two rival schools that combined to form a robotics team, the sum of two cities, or sigma squared.
Sigma Squared #35
Competition Manager
http://www.whitelakerobotics.org
"Were sorta like 7-11. Were not always doin business, but were always open." Boondock Saints
  #99   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2003, 09:19 PM
#0648 (QC Elite)
Team Role: Student

Jaime648 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jaime648 Send a message via Yahoo to Jaime648
Question

Im not really sure how we got our team name. We have had it for a few years now. This was my first year. Our robots name is OIY. Which stands for organized Illinois, Iowa youth. One of our team mates remembered hearing it so i guess thats how we got it! I know that is a weird name but it fits our team.
Jaime648
2004- midwest regional finalist
  #100   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Rookie Year: 2000
Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah
Well, our school mascot is the Cardinal. We build robots.

So "The Robocards" seemed to fit right in!
  #101   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Someone find me a FIRST team
AKA: Adriana
#1077 (was: All Stars)

Rookie Year: 2000
BBFIRSTCHICK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBFIRSTCHICK
well...

I took us forever to come up with a name for our team (2/3 hours or so)..... We first came up with STAR: which stood for Surviving Teammates After Ramtech... (inside joke).... then we added the S and made it STARS... and then it still did not sound right, we then added ALL.... All STARS sounded great, so we went with it . We named our 2001 bot Clarice from Hannibal..... so we decided to do something like that this year but we did not know what... On the way up to our regional like around 12 AM we were watching The Ring... and then thats when Samara came into mind, so we named toe bot Samara.

Team 1077 "All Stars": 2002-????
Semi-Finalist, Peachtree Regional 2003 (507 and 356 Rock!)
  #102   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2003, 09:49 AM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)

Rookie Year: 1998
A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by George1083
the two high schools represented by our team are South Fork High School and Martin County High School, so someone recommended:

S.A.M. = South Fork And Martin County

then someone mentioned that our sponsor Pratt & Whitney wasn't included... thus S.P.A.M. was born:

S.P.A.M. = South Fork, Pratt & Whitney, And Martin County
Wasn't it Scott who came up with it? Somehow I remember lots of caffeine and an all-night computer pin ball tournament..oh, the memories...(yes, i know, i was a little person then..i was still there!)
  #103   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Class of OT9
FRC #0771 (S.W.A.T. (St. Mildred's Women Advancing Technology))

shyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to shyra1353
our team name is S.W.A.T. and it stands for
St. Mildred's
Women
Advancing in
Technology
because or school name is St.Mildred's-Lightbourn School (SMLS).
our robot name is MILDREAD though. so it's like Mildred, but you dread it...get it??

2006: 771 - SWAT - mentor
2007: 912 - Iron Lyons - mentor
if you're going around in circles...then maybe you're cutting corners
aim for the moon and if you miss at least you will land amongst the starts

Email: underscore.asdf@gmail.com
My Website!!
Shirts available for trade: 2005 SWAT 771, 2004 Team 1353, 2003 FIRST Canadian Regional, and 2005 Greater Toronto Regional.
I am also interested in operator/safety captain badges, pins, or any other handouts your team may have given out that you would be willing to mail to Canada.
  #104   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalas
AKA: CrazyBear
FRC #0233

Gabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabe Salas Jr.
Team 233's official team name is, "The Space Coast Team." If I remember correctly there are three other robotics team's that originate from the Space Coast. We kept this name since we really cannot come up with a name and needed one when registering for our team.

But as for our unofficial name, "The Pink Team," is what we are most commonly known as since we wear pink. Duh. On our rookie year, the team was to hold a spirit meeting to discuss about the theme, image, and anything that may form a creative or original team identity. But as fate has it, only three girls showed up to the meeting, and thought it would be cute, and funny to have our team pink. Pink everything, including the robot. So it was decided and we did our best to make it work. Of course the rest of the guys on the team protested, and argued, but then again they really did not bother to go to the spirit meeting.

As for our team's name, we combined the names of two of our school's names, which is Rockledge High School, and Cocoa Beach High School. Thus we came up with Roccobot.
  #105   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Scout-Master
AKA: Chris
FRC #0662 (Rocky Mountain Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2004
Cyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond reputeCyberguy34000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cyberguy34000
Re: Team Names – How?

Yeah, in response to above post, I just have to say that I can no longer think that guys wearing pink is strange. PINK dominated the Denver regional and slaughtered us in semi-finals. But they did so much off the field that was amazing. Guys wearing pink, that strikes fear into my heart now . Don't know whether to hate or love you guys. Keep up the great work.

Anyways about the team names. We've always been Rocky Mountain Robotics, because we're based in Colorado Springs and WOW do we have a spectacular view of the rocky mountains. And we had to throw robotics on the end to say something about what we do . Recently though, we've taken up the theme of "The Rocky Mountain Rambos" due to some amazing artist that joined the team this year, and so we all went with that name. So that's what we'll probably be membered as for future years.

I love deadlines, I love the wooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security. - Benjamin Franklin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: