OCCRA
Go to Post You can expect to see the the same old same old again this weekend! Another set of fantastic experiences for thousands of kids across the country. And once again, Mission Accomplished. - Aidan F. Browne [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly
Re: "Your Honest Opinions"

By the way / FYI ...

If you like this story and in case you missed it the first time around. There is a collection of stories out there you can use for team purposes (recruitment, sponsorship, mentors, helping to start new teams, etc).
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pa...le&paperid=389

Some of them are as good as the story attached here. We are also encouraging teams to collect more stories like this for similar purposes in their regions. If this made you fell FIRST is special, imagine what it can do for recruitment, gaining a sponsor, getting a school district on board.

Couple these stories with the wonderful data and facts available at the FIRST Resourse Center at www.usfirst.org and you have an awesome package that really explains what FIRST is about.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 04-29-2005 at 12:17 PM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:24 PM
AKA: Andrew Neilson
FRC #0772 (Sabre Bytes)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
neilsonster is a name known to allneilsonster is a name known to allneilsonster is a name known to allneilsonster is a name known to allneilsonster is a name known to allneilsonster is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to neilsonster

That story held so many parallels for me, and after just one year in FIRST I realize that these experiences will stick with me forever. I cannot see myself living a life without FIRST in the near future.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)

Rookie Year: 2003
Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

Wow, what an amazing piece of writing. Probably the best I've seen so far in my three years of being a FIRSTer. I want to give this person a big hug, because they understand FIRST. They get it.

I'm one of the only few people on my team that get FIRST, and I'm so glad people left and right on other teams are finally reaching the point of understanding. Way to go!

Kyle, thank you for posting this. What an essay.

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
#0771 (S.W.A.T.)
Team Role: Marketing

sammie771 will become famous soon enoughsammie771 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sammie771 Send a message via MSN to sammie771

There really isn't much else to say after all these posts but I'll take a stab anyways. That was a wonderfully written essay that final puts down on paper what I, and I am sure many other people, feel about FIRST. It is this feeling that keeps the Holy Grail alive and continuing to grow. The author of this piece should be extremely proud of what he or she has written. It is fantastic and I agree with every part of it. Congratulations! Thank you, Kyle for sharing this piece with all of us.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Alumni

melissa has a spectacular aura aboutmelissa has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to melissa

Thank you to whoever wrote this essay, because you have summed up what I have been tyring to say for three years. This is what I can show all of those who say to me "So what? It's just a robot- I don't get why you love it so much." This is pretty much summing up (again) what everyone else has said, but it was wonderful and I hope s/he comes forward and takes pride in putting the right perspective on FIRST and all of its participants.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
AKA: Nick
#1027 (Mechatronic Maniacs)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2004
lonewolf13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lonewolf13

I loved that essay for the reason that I can relate to it. I'm very passionate about this program and we really need to make it bigger and spread this kind of message out to everyone about how great it is and how important it is for the progress of our country

Team 88, 173, and 53 rox my sox

*121-8 Krispie Kreams!
2005 Chesapeake Regional Winners

Our robot was deemed the fastest robot at the BAE and Chesapeake regionals

ARCHIMEDES DIVISION w? Team 173 RAGE
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

Ok everyone, I fess up. I wrote it and asked Kyle to post it for me. I'm not very well known around here, and I wanted to make sure this was received with as little bias as possible. As you can derive from the ending I wrote this a while ago, before kickoff. I never intended to post it, it was for myself. Watching all the squabbles over wins and penalties and points made me upset, I knew this wasn't the point of FIRST but it seemed every time someone tried to point that out they were washed away in a sea of anger and anti-GP sentiment.

I hope I got my message across to many people, and I appreciate your kind words. I didn't write this for the compliments, like I said I never intended to post it. I figured it would be a good reminder to people and by doing it anonymously I would spare any trouble coming at me over it.

On a side note, I'd like to point out an act of Gracious Professionalism I was part of this week. My team and team 358 and possibly others are doing a two-day public demonstration at Stonybrook University this coming weekend during I-CON (www.iconsf.org). Due to refurbishing in progress, our 2002 robot is the only functional one. However we do not have any of the game pieces from the 2002 game. Also, all of our battery charging equipment is en route to Atlanta. I contacted 358 and explained our predicament, and within minutes we were promised access to chargers, precharged batteries and a goal with game soccer balls. I really appreciate their help, and it really pleases me to see a team so eager to jump to our assistance. Thanks 358.

And thanks again to all of you for your kind words, you're part of what makes FIRST so special.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

I wanted to back up Matt on this, he is the one who asked me to post it for him. What else to you expect from someone related to the awesome Mkrass?

Facebook
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
What else to you expect from someone related to the awesome Mkrass?
A little bit more self-confidence

But, I'm really proud that you decided to take your deserved credit for this, Matt. Which is what I've been telling you since the beginning. You shouldn't be embarassed by the praise, but rather PROUD to have made such an impact. You really have figured out what FIRST is all about.

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Matt,

This is a great essay. It tells the story of FIRST from a student's point of view, and it is well-written. This is a shining example of a skillful writer, eloquently expressing his views in essay form.

Good writing skills combined with an analytical mind will take you far, my friend.

I am honored to mentioned with two of my heroes in this essay. Thank you, Matt.

Andy Baker
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
Matt,

This is a great essay. It tells the story of FIRST from a student's point of view, and it is well-written. This is a shining example of a skillful writer, eloquently expressing his views in essay form.

Good writing skills combined with an analytical mind will take you far, my friend.

I am honored to mentioned with two of my heroes in this essay. Thank you, Matt.

Andy Baker
I appreciate your compliments Andy, as well as everyone else's. You don't need to thank me for being mentioned, the help you've offered to me and many others is more than thanks enough.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Class of OT9
FRC #0771 (S.W.A.T. (St. Mildred's Women Advancing Technology))

shyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to shyra1353

wow .. that was an exceptional essay .. it truly embodies everything that FIRST is and what FIRST means to me as well ...

Kyle: tell whoever wrote it congratulations

2006: 771 - SWAT - mentor
2007: 912 - Iron Lyons - mentor
if you're going around in circles...then maybe you're cutting corners
aim for the moon and if you miss at least you will land amongst the starts

Email: underscore.asdf@gmail.com
My Website!!
Shirts available for trade: 2005 SWAT 771, 2004 Team 1353, 2003 FIRST Canadian Regional, and 2005 Greater Toronto Regional.
I am also interested in operator/safety captain badges, pins, or any other handouts your team may have given out that you would be willing to mail to Canada.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2005, 05:20 PM
FRC #3719 (Whaler Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Aaron is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aaron

matt, thanx for coming out and taking credit for something u well deserve. good luck with clarkson

Team 3719
2014 ???

Team 1493
2007 UTC Connecticut Regional 2nd Seed and Semi- Finalist

Team 11
2005 New Jersey Regional Chairmans Award Winners
2005 Palmetto Autodesk Visualization Award Winners
2005 Palmetto Judges Award Winner
2004 Palmetto Regional winners of DiamlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2004 Palmetto Regional Winners(281, 11, 122)
2004 Nationals Curie Division 5th seed (11, 190, 179)
2002 J&J MidAtlantic Regional Finalists
2002 Canadian Regional winners of the Xerox Creativity award
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Carter
None #0233 (Pink)
Team Role: Driver

Carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
I am not posting my own feelings here, I was just asked by a good friend to post this for them so they could share there thoughts with everyone anonymously.

WARNING: Any thing that is in this attached document has nothing to do with me, my personal experiences or any one from my team, like i said before this is some one I am friends with and wanted to post this but didn't want to offend anyone by having there team number on it.

So I was asked to post this for people to read so here it is:

i agree, very nice. like so many this was my second year and i have been trying to put into words what FIRST means to me and well you hit right on. you are a good writer and i cant wait to hear more from you.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
i agree, very nice. like so many this was my second year and i have been trying to put into words what FIRST means to me and well you hit right on. you are a good writer and i cant wait to hear more from you.
Just to remind everyone I did not write that, I just posted it for Matt Krass he was the author.

Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: