OCCRA
Go to Post its kind of a bad idea to implement traction control when you have no traction in the first place. - Uberbots [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Thanks and/or Congrats
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Doctor to be
AKA: Ali Ahmed
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
ali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of lightali_rockon22 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ali_rockon22
Re: Congratulations is spelled with a "T" and not a "D"!!

Since we are on a rant about spelling and grammar and what not, can I please ask that anybody starting a thread please capitalize. Please. They just look unimportant when they are all lowercased.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2005, 05:32 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Holy cow. I am amazed at how many people responded so positively to this thread; and in a short amount of time too.

See.. I do have good idea(r)s sometimes..

w00t!
^ Perfectly acceptable as far as a word is concerned by the way..

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:21 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schaddelee
team blah blah graciously excepts
Accepts.

*duck*
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeXIII'007
Elgin, you've provided an excellent opportunity for a reminder to everyone to SPEAK ENGLISH on this and any other online forum, chat room, etc. I can't stand acronyms and short versions of words being thrown at me at random when I'm involved in such discussions, it literally messes with my head and gives me a head ache. However, in the case that acronyms and other twisted English words hit your eyes online, there is the acronym finder for some aid. If anyone else knows of any other 'interpreters' online for other words of twisted English, please share them here. Thanks.
I have to say that referring to Dave's post about "the real world," if you are going to be an engineer... get used to the headaches. I literally sit through 3-6 2 hour meetings a week, where I would say 50% of the words uttered are acronyms. It even gets as bad as people saying "but if we check GP[General Practice] 2.9 you will see that CM[Configuration Management] does not follow that PC[Process Control]." Or something like that.

And I have to respectfully disagree with Dave on not using LOL. Its an acronym of this generation. Its dorky to type in "laugh out loud" when you want to respond to someone and acknowledge that what they just said was funny. I even got my grandmother using LOL and she is like the chief of grammar police!
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 05:03 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

THANK YOU! As part of my job (I maintain a college web site) I am always looking for spelling errors, typos, style guide errors, etc. that come in the content that is sent to me for posting. I am terrible at grammar and punctuation, and my typing is horrendous, but I really hate it when I catch myself misspelling something!
And another note - if you take minutes at your team meetings, write them properly as they are a record of your team's transactions!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066
Team Role: Alumni

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot
I have to say that referring to Dave's post about "the real world," if you are going to be an engineer... get used to the headaches. I literally sit through 3-6 2 hour meetings a week, where I would say 50% of the words uttered are acronyms. It even gets as bad as people saying "but if we check GP[General Practice] 2.9 you will see that CM[Configuration Management] does not follow that PC[Process Control]." Or something like that.
OK then, I concede to the fact that you should use acronyms, but only if it makes what you are saying more efficient AND understandable. Otherwise, don't use them.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:35 AM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon
Accepts.

*duck*
I do believe that you should have used *ducks* in your post.

Of course, everyone who has corrected somebody else's grammar gets corrected themselves. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

If I get to represent 818 in the alliance selection, I'll be sure to use the "gracious offer" phrasing instead of "graciously accepts." It really does sound better, and it's more correct to boot.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 04:25 PM
is a believer!
AKA: The man with the plan.
FRC #0093 (N.E.W. Apple Corps)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
Sean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond repute

speeking uv acranims, wut duz ROTFLMAO stand four, Dav?

I have to agree with everyone here that a solid command of the English language and all of its subtle nuances is critical to personal and professional success. I have encountered far too many fellow educators who, to quote Michael Douglas in The American President, "couldn't find a coherent sentence with both hands and a flashlight." Students, both secondary and post-secondary, take your English/Communication Arts/Speech classes very seriously. It will have a significant impact on how you are perceived both personally and professionally. Just because your profession may require you to apply a high level of knowledge of math and science does not mean that oral and written communications can be ignored. Excel in all areas and you will reap the rewards.

Dave, I'll be waiting for an explanation of the ROTFLMAO acronym. Thanks!

Sean
I think this latest educational wave is different and much more important. "Chalk and talk" is not dead, but it is mortally wounded. We must change the educational process so that we emphasize helping students learn to learn and, more importantly, learn to think." - Woodie Flowers

Thanks Plexus Corp. for 17 years of support and counting...your company gets it!!

www.nacteam93.com | Tesla Engineering Charter School
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 04:27 PM
FRC #1168 (Malvern Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Goobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to all

PHP Code:
ROTFLMAO "Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud"
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobergunch
PHP Code:
ROTFLMAO "Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud"
Umm.. no.

"Rolling On The Floor Laughing My (Butt) Off"

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
(Doug Ross, feel free to jump in any time!)
You talkin' to me Jim?

I agree with everything except:
Quote:
- "Y'all" is perfectly permissible if you are currently located south of the Mason-Dixon line and you are speaking aloud. It is not permissible in written prose at any time.
In particular, the last sentence: I say ANY grammar or punctuation rule may be broken, creative spelling may be employed, acronyms may be used liberally, etc. to produce a desired effect. HOWEVER, YOU NEED TO KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

As to "Team X graciously accepts": the first time I heard the phrase, I felt embarrassed for the person who malappropriately used "graciously" in place of "gratefully". It saddens me that ever since then, I have (almost) never heard anyone get it right.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me

Last edited by Greg Ross : 04-18-2005 at 07:56 PM. Reason: It ain't perfect yet.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
I told you it was ok Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwross
You talkin' to me Jim?

I agree with everything except:

Quote:
- "Y'all" is perfectly permissible if you are currently located south of the Mason-Dixon line and you are speaking aloud. It is not permissible in written prose at any time.
In particular, the last sentence: I say ANY grammar or punctuation rule may be broken, creative spelling may be employed, acronyms may be used liberally, etc. to produce a desired effect. HOWEVER, YOU NEED TO KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!
Oh oh...curmudgeon fight!

Jeff "I've got someone on my side" Wetzel
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I told you it was ok Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel
Oh oh...curmudgeon fight!

Jeff "I've got someone on my side" Wetzel
Yeah, it's me any my copy of "The American Heritage Book of English Usage" along with Clyde and "The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation." But instead of going head-to-head, it's us against all the bad-grammar-usin', "ya know"-slingin', graciously excepting, "congradulations"-totin', "nu kU ler"-spoutin' linguistic Luddites out there. We'll see who wins!

-Norm
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Kowski
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
You will love this book Dave. I highly recommend it for those who care how they write and speak.

Hopefully I can be one of those people that learns how to do that. Somehow I doubt it though, thanks USF.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
or that one, its very helpful

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Re: I told you it was ok Dave.

Quote:
Yeah, it's me any my copy of "The American Heritage Book of English Usage" along with Clyde and "The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation." But instead of going head-to-head, it's us against all the bad-grammar-usin', "ya know"-slingin', graciously excepting, "congradulations"-totin', "nu kU ler"-spoutin' linguistic Luddites out there. We'll see who wins!

-Norm
And you know you just illustrated my point, right?
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: