OCCRA
Go to Post Learn to respect the opinions of others, even if they are the complete opposite of yours. - Hallry [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 02:17 AM
La Strategist
AKA: Krista Anderson
FRC #1425 (Wilsonville Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2004
MiscEllania is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Girls,Why did you join FIRST???

I joined because there was a huge poster in my school advertising the team when it had just started. I didn't know anyone else on the team, but it looked like a lot of fun - although I had a completely wrong idea of what to expect. Think Robotech or Transformers.

Plus, I was sick of my brother always getting to gut the computers and cars instead of me.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 02:32 AM
no team (Midnight Mechanics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
aziandorkess is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to aziandorkess Send a message via MSN to aziandorkess

When FIRST came to my school in 8th grade, I thought it was really dorky.. and I really didn't have an opportunity anyways, since it was directed to high-schoolers anyways. But when some of my friends went off, had a blast, and did really well.. I started to reconsider. I got into in 9th grade, and one of my friends pulled me into FIRST. One of the reasons was that I felt rebellious against my parents, who didn't want me to pursue the sciences (crazy, crazy adults) and just went into robotics. I had such a great building season that I had to continue with FIRST. I also wanted to find out more about the inside-jokes and stories.. which were really intriging. Once you're hooked on FIRST, it's hard to break the habit.. well- it's next to impossible.
We don't really have a problem with recruiting girls, because most of the people at our school are really openminded, and we're already kind of a family.. so no one is judged as a "nerd" as they would be at normal high schools. Most girls are selfconcious, and it's hard to break out of cliques and traditions. Keep on trying to recruit girls.. there are so many aspects to FIRST, that everyone could have an interest in at least one of them.
2004 Championships Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 SoCal Engineering Inspiration Award
2003 Arizona Judges Award
2003 SoCal Team Spirit Award
2002 SoCal All Star Rookie Award

Alumna of The Midnight Mechanics (03-06).
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 09:20 AM
AKA: Anna
FRC #1502 (Technical Diffaculties)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
SirLancelot is on a distinguished road
Girls,Why did you join FIRST???

I took the provided tech classes in the middle school, enjoyed them, and did really well. Then the entire eighth grade class came up to the high school to preview their classes and the computers teacher mentioned a robotics team. I thought that it sounded cool because I've always been into art and math. Thankfully, FIRST is a mix of both, plus machine technology, etc. So I put my name down on the list and started to attend the meetings. Being a rookie team, we had absolutley no reason what we were doing.
Another reason why I joined was because there were a few people on the team that I had wanted to meet since sixth grade. News of those interesting ones travels quickly. So I made a bunch of wonderful friends who I can count on to be there if I ever need them.
I know you all hear this often, but FIRST has changed my life in a very big way.
~Anna
2006-Xerox Creativity Award, Boilermaker Regional
2005-Highest Rookie Seed Award, Boilermaker Regional
2005-Rookie Inspriation Award, Great Lakes Regional
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 09:43 AM
AKA: Julia Metzler
no team

Julia Magoolia is just really niceJulia Magoolia is just really niceJulia Magoolia is just really niceJulia Magoolia is just really niceJulia Magoolia is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Julia Magoolia

The reason that I found out about FIRST was because the team advisor is was my computer teacher. He was VERY determined to get more people on the team.
My mother, an engineer, found out about it, thought it seemed fun, and we decided to go to the first meeting. I was pretty sure that it was something I wanted to do (the presentation using Transformers really sold me), so we continued to go... And I'm now sure I made the right choice!
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Memories to keep...
AKA: Fancy
None #0047 (Chief Delphi)

fancy013 will become famous soon enoughfancy013 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to fancy013 Send a message via MSN to fancy013 Send a message via Yahoo to fancy013

Just because we're girls doesn't mean we can't do the same things as what boys do! We might be a little weaker then guys but that doesn't mean we can't do the same things. I joined FIRST because i want to learn more about engineering and technology. learn more as time goes by, and helps you more when you go to college. =D thats my reasons.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
#0047 (Chief Delphi)

Sonya47 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Sonya47 Send a message via Yahoo to Sonya47

Because I thought it would be interesting to learn about building a robot, and I had a friend in my lit class when I was in the 10th grade and I asked her questions about the team and I got really interested so I joined and started in my 11th grade year.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
AKA: Kristina Bender
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Leadership

Kristina45 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kristina45
Smile Re: Girls,Why did you join FIRST???

I honestly did not want to join when I first heard about FIRST! A few of my friends who are girls told me about it and dragged me into the first meeting that our team had....and I Loved it! I stuck with it and made it to be one of the 2 girls on the Pit Crew. I love FIRST and I'm sticken with it from now on. The atmosphere of the regionals and championship is so awesome...everyone gets along and everyone is friendly. FIRST is definitely a great experience and I keep telling all of my other friends who are girls that they should join. Next year I think we may gain a few girls on our team!

-Kristina*
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 01:04 AM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: Mentor

Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany34990
So since there is a discussion talking about how to reach out to girls and get their participation. I would like to throw out to the girls why did we join FIRST?? perhaps this can help with reaching out to other girls if we know why others females have joined... so start telling your story!! and why have you stayed??? what is the great things about FIRST do you see??? What have you gotten out of it??
Great thread choice, Tiff! =)

I joined FIRST thinking it was just building a robot, and because I figured it would be interesting to build something really unique. I am and was very into technology, always have been. I thought it would be really fun. I never realized what it really, truly was all about. The team made it seem like it was just robot-building. However, when I got more involved in the business aspect later in my freshman year and throughout my years since, I realized instantly that it was so much more.

I have stayed through hardships and tough times on my team, mainly because I was excited in the fact that I was getting so much from FIRST. I was learning all kinds of things. It's like a business, a fun one. I did all sorts of paperwork, communications work to sponsors and authority figures in our state, and I did photography even, in my freshman year. Working with such a diverse group brought great surprise and a great deal of learning about each person's background and culture. Such a wonderful thing, FIRST is.

The great things I see in FIRST are in the students themselves. I see so much excitement in various students and the glow in their faces when they are watching the engineers and learning all they can, taking it all in. I never get tired of hearing about people's success stories in FIRST, because they're all so different.

It's amazing what people can learn from others through their experiences. What us girls can do is bring those experiences to other girls, in hopes that they will see all that we get from it, and possibly want some of that too. Then they will most likely get involved, and have their experiences of their own to pass along, and so on. That's how FIRST became how successful it is today, and that's how the girl population in FIRST will become more successful in the near future.

FIRST has given me maturity, confidence, strength in myself, and a learning experience I'll never, ever forget. This program, and all of you, have touched my heart in more ways than one. I am in debt to you all eternally for giving me the wonderful memories and lessons over these three years. My only hope in FIRST is that other girls will grow like I have, and let us lead them into this wonderful life-changing program.

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 10:20 AM
FRC #1511

Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually very disappointed in my self about the fact that it was because of a guy that I joined. But I am very happy that it happened, because I found that FIRST was exactly the type of thing I was looking for and needed. I love to do this kind of stuff!
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 12:19 PM
hacks the planet
AKA: Amy Mclaughlin
None #0612 (CATS)

Crash&Burn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Crash&Burn

I joined first on the pure basis of fate. i was wandering about the library after school and saw my lab partner from honors chemistry from two years ago. We stopped to chat and he said he was there for robotics team (at the time there were only 4 members). He said I should join and convinced me with all the fun stuff FIRST does, So I did. I found a few great niches, In Fabrication, Machinery, Business, and Scouting.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

Our school joined FIRST last year and, to be honest, I showed up to a few meetings just so i'd be in the club and it'd "look good on my application." Besides, our school is an engineering magnet and being the nerd that eats lunch in my teacher's classroom and hanging out with other engineering kids, I heard plenty about it. Then, I heard there was programming and plenty of things for me to do but I never got a chance to participate because I was heavily involved with tennis (practice twice a week and games twice a week) and it was at the same time as all the meetings. It didn't seem possible to be able to be in two places at once.

This year, I decided to step up to the plate and got into what I was doing. I got my hand on programming and, although I could have done better, I'm still proud of what I have done. Relfecting back, I never thought I'd really get into FIRST -- maybe show up here and there but nothing big. Soon, I found myself working on FIRST related material in the morning, during lunch, and until 5pm every day and all of Saturdays. I can probably say I ate, breathed and lived FIRST. Now, I'm hooked on FIRST. I can't wait until next year =).

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!

Last edited by nehalita : 05-14-2005 at 02:45 PM.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
"1319...Smarter Than Monkeys!"
AKA: Shorty
FRC #1319 (Golden Strip Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Tigerlily-87 will become famous soon enough

My Dad (an engineer/mentor) and my older brother (a programmer) got involved in first a year before I did. I thought "I have no idea how to do that stuff...it's too complicated for me. The year after that they finally convinced me to come to a meeting and check it out. So I did, and I thought it was kinda cool, but it was still way too complicated for me. I just joined thinking I would help out with fundraising, t-shirts...stuff like that.

But then build season came. I got asked to help with a thing or two, and I was hooked. (At some point I realised that I didn't need to know what I was doing before I joined, I would learn it as I went. And most of the others had no idea what they were doing, either...they were leaning, too.) I just loved doing all the hands on building stuff! I love to see our ideas come to life! (And after a few attempts...maybe even work. ) Eventually they started calling me "Chief Mechanic and bottle washer", and they blame me for building 90% of the robot.

After participating in FIRST, I've decided to go into engineering. I wasn't planning on going to college at all before, because I had no idea what I wanted to do. And now, I'll be starting engineering classes this fall. It feels great to have a direction in life.

Chesapeake Rookie All-Stars and Semi-Finalists
Palmetto Rookie Inspiration Award, Highest Seeded Rookie team, and Semi-Finalists
Champinships Highest Seeded Rookie Team and Curie Division Quarter-Finalists

Peachtree Safety Award Winners and Semi-Finalists

Boilermaker Safety Award and Spirit Award
Boilermaker Regional Winners (HUGE thanks to 1272 and 85!!!)
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:34 PM
'tis just a flesh wound!
AKA: Anjali M
FRC #1510

sure_smile will become famous soon enough

i was in tech survey (by accident, i hadn't wanted to be), which is like a basic shop class, and the teacher helped a little with robotics and i heard about it and i thought it sounded cool but i seriously had no idea what i was getting into; tho im glad i did. then again...it doesn't matter so much why i joined, but that i stayed
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
FIRST Ambassador
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Marisa Russo is a jewel in the roughMarisa Russo is a jewel in the roughMarisa Russo is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Girls,Why did you join FIRST???

Although I learned about FIRST too late in life to actually compete on a team, I have to admit that like many of you - I joined by accident. Since work (DeVry) was the way I found out about FIRST, in the beginning it was more of a "snmart org to be involved with" than the right org to give my time to.

At his point, I identify with Beth - the bug has got me - hook, line and sinker! Not only am I continually impressed by the students, mentors, educators, parents and everyone else involved with FIRST, but I'm excited by the possibilities that the future holds.

Since I've always been what you could call a "traditional" girl (it didn't matter that my natural intelligences for science were above an beyond the rest of of my strengths...I was still guided toward the humanities instead of engineering) - it inspires me to meet and encourage so many young ladies (like those of you here - and then some) with exceptional engineering (and problem solving) prowess.

It would be great to start the FIRST Femmes (or something like that)... Our purpose would be to encourage young girls with potential to get involved. The disproportionate amount of males to females in engineering is sad - I'm the perfect example of someone with a lot of potential that went on to a more traditional "girl" field bc I though I was "supposed" to. grrrrrr...

I'm currently 10 years out of high school, and what I care most about now is helping more and more young women understand that sky's the limits. As the largest minority group in the world, women need to band together to help eachother learn, grow and excel. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who wants to jump on the soapbox with me to actually do something tangible.

Who says girls can't be cute, fun AND SMART?!?
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Biology Grad Student.....
AKA: Lisa Rodriguez
FRC #0173 (RAGE)

Rookie Year: 2002
Lisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Lisa Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Lisa Rodriguez

I joined because my brother (ogre) did it and it looked fun, I'd been watching for 3 years, and I wanted to join. I stayed because my brother left (haha). I was able to be myself, learn real things and not have it matter that I was a girl or not. My team loves anyone who wants to learn. I'm hooked, between the program and the people, you can't even kick me out.

This thing still works?

it's never over unless you let it be over

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: