Go to Post Basically, it just doesn't matter. - Mark Pettit [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > CD Forum Support
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Miss. Little Long Black Hair
AKA: Nadia Zamora
#1369 (Minotaurs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
Franchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Franchesca
Re: Appropriate use of reputation points

I agree with many of the comments that have been posted above me ... but one of the points that I find to be most truthful is this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Leung
We only give or take reputation points when we see something we like or don’t like. Problem is, there are too many standards out there.

We all have different system of right and wrong. That will never change. I for one do not agree with people answering questions in the form of "I am not sure but..." or posts that ask for nothing but trouble. We all have our pet peeves in this forum. Only, with a weapon (or reward) so easily at hand ready to punish people whenever we feel like it, some people use it more often then they should. And that's something to think about: What message are we sending to the community?
The reputation system does serve its purpose and I for one don't mind that it is here nor would I mind if it wasn't ... I think that Chief Delphi is great overall!!
Personally, i'm not a fan of giving out too many rep points but if I really find or read something that captivates my attention and that I think deserves rep points ... then I will award them (regardless of the topic). I don't like to give negative points either because I am a firm believer in that everyone is at free to say what they wish and I'm not a judge to be judging anyones words or ideas! Unless, I read something that is truly offensive overall (not just because I seem to think so) then I will award negative points!

Which is what brings me to my point ... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT ... and therein we all think differently ... so judging someone elses posts on our standards is not what I believe should be done! I think we should all view posts as exactly what they are -- individual posts from individuals who have their own ideas and personalities! And again when and if a post is truly offensive then measures should be taken!

Second thing, someone who has a few bars (perse 2 or 3) should not be considered someone who's posts are not AS GOOD as the posts of someone who has a lot of bars. Which brings me to my next quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Adams
people who don't have a high rating do not contribute frequent AND worthwhile posts. Mind you, perhaps one or the other is true, but not both.
Altough, I repsect your opinion, I don't agree with it ... there are many reasons why this could happen. And to not forget that whenever there is some kind of reputation or point system ... there's a margin of error due to popularity. I've seen it happen many times, to put an example not related to this forum ... students in club's vote their friends as officers. This means that although we'd like to think that all of this points are given out solely on the post and its content ... there is still the possibility that someone gives their 'friend' points just because!

We shouldn't fret over this subject, instead we should think this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher
"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you." - Bill Murray, Lost in Translation
We shouldn't be worried wether we get good points or negative rep. points ... to me (and I'm sure to most people) what really matters is to be able to have a place where we can talk and share ideas with other people whom have likewise interests (perse FIRST)! In the end they are just dots and if we all have enough confidence in ourselves and stand by what we say ... it really will not matter what others think or say about it, life is about being able to express yourself to the fullest and to be comfortable with that!

Ok, this is long enough so I will end it .. but just remember: Wether you have many green dots or few green dots ... the real represantation of you is what you think of yourself and who show it!

I hope not to have offended anyone with MY ideas and I hope nobody thinks that I took their ideas with the quotes used above!

I have to agree ... Dorienne Plait and I are quite a DUO in CD!!!

"The true nature of the modern condition - how weak we are, how helpless against ourselves in this proud era of so-called progress." - Max Beckmann.

Always Here to Help
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2004, 03:28 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

I try to abuse the rep system to it's fullest, you know, giving random points to all my friends, that sort of thing.

Errmmm... did I say abuse? I meant use. Those two are kinda confusing, y'know?

Cory
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Yes, I a resurrecting an old thread, but I have a reason:

It seems like some new users are getting red dots quickly these days. I can understand if this user is being blatantly inappropriate and they deserve to get some negative rep. However, I see some new users who are getting slapped with negative rep for making a the typical newbie mistakes, such as not searching before they post or not paying attention to out-dated threads.

So... users, I ask you to give these newbies a break. Although you crusty vets see these mistakes happen often, new members still need your patience. Before whacking them with some negative rep, send them some neutral rep or a PM to give them some advice. Then, if they don't listen to you, you can be more blunt by giving them your negative rep rating as you wish.

Of course, how you use your rep points is up to you. Consider this a simple request.

Andy B.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot how wise Mr. Baker really is. I, too have noticed this trend. You so called CD veterans: take a good look at how you give out rep. I say that if you have given negative rep to more than 5 people, then you may be a bit judgmental. If you have given negative rep to more than 10 people or a total of more than 20 times, then I say you need to look inward and stop being holier than thou.

Negative rep should not be used as a training method. If I gave everyone negative rep that asked a technical question that I had answered on CD 2 or 3 years ago, then I definitely would have violated my criteria above. Newbies need to be taught, or dare I say ... mentored and not smacked upside the head with red dots.

Carnegie is not just a guy's name. Look it up ... study the methods. It works.

By the way, I have negative repped two times since the system has been implemented.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli
I forgot how wise Mr. Baker really is. I, too have noticed this trend. You so called CD veterans: take a good look at how you give out rep. I say that if you have given negative rep to more than 5 people, then you may be a bit judgmental. If you have given negative rep to more than 10 people or a total of more than 20 times, then I say you need to look inward and stop being holier than thou.
Doing some quick looking, here is how I have given out rep over the past couple of years:

952 individual positive rep clicks given
5 neutral rep
18 negative rep (about 12 different people)

So, I am somewhere between being judgemental and holier than thou. That works for me.

Andy B.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been nearly as active as I probably should be in giving rep points. But I have noticed the high rate of negative reps among newbies lately.

I award these people positive rep points anytime I see them doing something remotely worthy. Just to reinforce good behavior.

ChrisH

"Who is John Galt?"
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli
I absolutely agree with Andy and Paul with regard to some of the "rep-bombing" of newbies that has been occurring. But my engineer's instincts kick in at some point, and I would like to suggest a minor modification to Paul's heuristics (the philosophical heart of which are right on target). Rather than holding to a hard and fast number, I would suggest that you might consider an upper-bound on the ratio of negative/positive rep that is given out. If you have given ten negative rep hits out of a total of twenty reputation allocations, then perhaps some adjustment of your understanding of the purpose of reputation points might be in order. Conversely, if you have issued ten negative rep hits out of 1000, then that is probably within a range that most would consider acceptable (let's face it, every now and then there are posts that really do deserve negative rep - ones threatening the life of the President [even if you don't respect the man, respect the office] and ones promoting intentional group violence on an opposing team as retribution are examples that come to mind).

We can quibble over the specific number of the ratio (what is OK? 1%? 4%? 0.5%? I don't know). Everyone may have a different view of what is a reasonable negative/positive ratio. But in the end, each time you consider issuing a negative (or for that matter, positive) reputation hit you must be comfortable with your own answers to three questions:

- Given the roles of both the poster and myself (as student, mentor, parent, teacher, team member, engineer, or whatever), is changing the reputation of the poster an appropriate response to their post?

- If all the reputation allocations were made public, and not kept private, would I still be comfortable in making this reputation allocation?

- If I had made this post and then recieved a negative reputation hit for it, would I feel it was deserved?

Unless you can answer "yes" to each of those questions, then you might want to think a little more about other ways to get your message across to the poster before you hit the "add to reputation" button.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))
Team Role: Mentor

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

I'm not worthy...
I'm not worthy...

Thanks to all three - Andy, Paul, and Dave - for this reminder. The bottom line is that we want more and more people in FIRST so they have a chance to be inspired and understand the culture-changing mission. Our primary role should always be to educate and mentor those that come after us. Both patience and persistence are necessary. As my good friend Paul Kloberg (NJ Sr. Mentor) says, "Fun Is Required, So Tolerate."

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Rookie Year: 2002
Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Just added up my reps given. I gave 104 positive 3 neutral and 1 neg to a member of my own team that stepped out of line. I do regularly pm people that I might have bad repped rather than give neg points. I have found that most people take positive to this approach. We are here to both learn and teach. Let's try to be positive.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
It's hard hat time here in Boston
AKA: DFB
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)

Daniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Daniel Brim

I would say that instead of giving out negative reputation points for newbie mistakes, give neutral reputation points or PM the user instead. That way, the message comes across, but it is constructive instead of demeaning. However, if somebody who has been here for a while and steps majorly out of the forum rules (IE Spams, trashes another member, etc), then I think it is okay to give negative reputation. That's how I go about it, anyways.

-Daniel
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

I would also like to make a plea for mercy when a rookie makes an inappropriate comment and then evrybody piles on them and their rep is left in the trash heap. If I come across something like that I do not give them negative rep. I dispute thier claim or scold them but they don't deserve a blleding red dot becasue of their lack of judgement. Wouldn't it be just better to simply correct them instead of everybody administer a poison pen beat down on them?
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that negative rep from a well known poster was frowned on so I don't remember giving any negatives. I have taken the "PM a nice message first" approach and give the abuser a chance to clear it up privately. I have gotten a little harsh on occasion in a PM and luckily the victim responded by PM and we came to quite a good rapport after that. There are those occasions where even the PM doesn't work. I advocate disconnect (virtual excommunication) for those that don't start to get it on the first message.
www.wildstang.org
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

I dont bean someone with a negative rep hit unless they are breaking the serious rules of the forum (like posting masked profanity) or being abusive

on many ocassions I have used the rep points to send a note to someone, telling them I dont agree with what they are saying, but I give them positive rep anyway, because sometimes it takes real guts to say what you want to say knowing it might not be popular. If someone is speaking their mind, they might be wrong, but I dont want to discourage someone from speaking up.

I have gotten the most red hits from people who dont like my sense of humor. How ironic is that? Would you really want someone in the FIRST community to have a 'bad reputation' because you dont get their jokes, or you dont think they are funny?

There is a golden rule I learned several years ago for reviewing someone elses work. For each negative thing you have to say, you must say three positive things first. People get demoralized quickly if you only have negative things to say to them, esp when it comes from a supervisior, manager, team leader or a mentor.

Last edited by KenWittlief : 05-21-2005 at 03:46 PM.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2005, 07:18 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

OK, I'm a complete ninny and I need to ask andy and Steve...
Where's the info to add up your own rep given??
I really need to know if I'm a jerk or not

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2005, 07:31 AM
FIRST Volunteer/Mentor
AKA: Sam
FRC #1884 (Griffins)

Rookie Year: 2004
sammy will become famous soon enoughsammy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kressly
OK, I'm a complete ninny and I need to ask andy and Steve...
Where's the info to add up your own rep given??
I really need to know if I'm a jerk or not
Your User CP lists all the rep you've given. It only gives a total number, but you can count smaller of the three colors and subtract to get the larger.

Wetzel
*Edit* Whoops, wrong user again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: